Psi trooper help

Share strategy and tips here.
Jj001

Psi trooper help

Post by Jj001 »

Hi guys,
I am probably 60% into the game now, about to get plasma weapons.
And i am not finding psi troopers to be very effective.
Insanity never hits.
Is this a bug?

Perhaps i am playing them wrong? Does anyone have suggestions?
Thank you!
Last edited by Jj001 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goumindong

Re: Psi trooper help

Post by Goumindong »

They are not very effective
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

Jj001 wrote: And i am not finding psi troopers to be very ineffective.
I guess it's a typo and you mean you are "not finding them very effective" or you are "finding them very ineffective"

Anyway : well, working as intended :cry:

Psi troopers don't really "suck" as you can read in various threads, but they are not really terribly effective either. Insanity always have bad odds against basic ADVENT and Mind Merge looks like a bad joke. Soulfire is OKish but suffers from the comparison with Hail of Bullets and the same can be said about many Psi powers. There is always another class who can do the same, just better. The benefit of the Psi trooper is to pack many different tricks in a single soldier but it's not really all that useful when you have a large squad. They might be more useful in limited squads but those are rarely deployed past the early game (and i'm not even sure they would be that useful because small squad can't really afford to have someone who doesn't contribute to the squad power).
Jj001

Post by Jj001 »

LordYanaek wrote:
Jj001 wrote: And i am not finding psi troopers to be very ineffective.
I guess it's a typo and you mean you are "not finding them very effective" or you are "finding them very ineffective"

Anyway : well, working as intended :cry:

Psi troopers don't really "suck" as you can read in various threads, but they are not really terribly effective either. Insanity always have bad odds against basic ADVENT and Mind Merge looks like a bad joke. Soulfire is OKish but suffers from the comparison with Hail of Bullets and the same can be said about many Psi powers. There is always another class who can do the same, just better. The benefit of the Psi trooper is to pack many different tricks in a single soldier but it's not really all that useful when you have a large squad. They might be more useful in limited squads but those are rarely deployed past the early game (and i'm not even sure they would be that useful because small squad can't really afford to have someone who doesn't contribute to the squad power).
Ok good to know i am not the only one with tbis opinion
Thank you guys for your feedback
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

Jj001 wrote:Ok good to know i am not the only one with tbis opinion
Oh, you are definitely not the only one with this opinion.

Take a look at the topic "Psi Ops Still Suck?", started over a month ago on Feb 5 and still going strong with 6 pages so far. Maybe just check out the most recent page or two.

http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... 727#p30727