Trial By Fire Training Missions - mechanics and strategy

Share strategy and tips here.
Dlareh

Trial By Fire Training Missions - mechanics and strategy

Post by Dlareh »

I've come to realize that TBF is my favorite new thing in LW 1.3+. But how does it interact with normal mission experience and kills?

Reading the source code, it seems to grant virtual bonus XP at the end of the mission to just fill up the tank with whatever's lacking for a next-level promotion, if anything. It has no effect if the soldier was already going to be promoted. When it does have an effect, any kill XP for that soldier from that mission was actually irrelevant--and wasted?

Thus it seems the people on your training mission doing the killing should be your SGT+ babysitters, not the new guys.

More than a trial by fire, you might think of it as "sit back and watch the fireworks", or just "watch and learn".

In some ways it's the exact opposite of the pre-TBF game when you'd ask yourself "Okay now who needs some experience?" and would sometimes pick one of your top powerleveling soldiers, but more often than not it was one of the new guys you wanted to train up to be relevant. That's switched around now; on a TBF mission those corporals should just watch and learn.

Tactically, this means you're best off loading out your corporals to the brim with consumables. Smokes, flashbangs, softening frags, and EXO weapons are all excellent actions for someone who sits back from the front line and is not worried about getting any kills. A ballistic SMG, or later on a leftover laser is fine if you've nothing else to spare or their aim is poor.

----
Strategy-wise, I like to almost always take TBF on my first reliable officer (regardless of class) then switch to Jammer for the next officers that usually lead their own squads. For later backup officers within each squad, TBF often makes sense, especially if it's something like a Ranger, Technical, Assault, or Sentinel who can get in the thick of things on easy training missions and make some magic happen while the corporals gawk. Shinobis and Sharpshooters are the backup officers I'm least likely to take TBF on, since I don't use them as tanks who break conceal right away. They aren't Bring the Thunder types and so are less likely to be leading a boatful of corporals.

It can be argued that your first reliable officer shouldn't go TBF, and is more optimal with Jammer in the long run to lead your best team through the toughest missions. But, I find being able to start doing training missions ASAP and build up a barracks of dependable SGTs to be of greater strategic value. And remember those training missions also serve to help powerlevel the 2-3 SSGT+ killers you bring along with the best gear to carry the mission and show how it's done.
Excitement continues to build as city centers across the globe prepare for the latest incarnation of Groundhog Day.
Dwarfling

Re: Trial By Fire Training Missions - mechanics and strategy

Post by Dwarfling »

Just remember not to overdo-it with the Squaddies and LCPLs, they still suck past early game. I like to play it safe and bring one at a time. Had enough issues already when facing Archons, Heavy MECs and whatnot on Ex Light missions :shock: .
Manifest

Post by Manifest »

Dwarfling wrote:Just remember not to overdo-it with the Squaddies and LCPLs, they still suck past early game. I like to play it safe and bring one at a time. Had enough issues already when facing Archons, Heavy MECs and whatnot on Ex Light missions :shock: .
One at a time! That's no fun... I'm still looking for that perfect extremely light op that I wanna stick seven corporals on.
dario_gaston

Post by dario_gaston »

Does trial by fire still get triggered if you evac before completing the mission?
deducter

Post by deducter »

Trial by Fire only seems to work if you successfully complete the objective, not just bringing a soldier on a mission. For instance, I was doing a data cache mission but I accidentally blew it up by blowing up a propane tank. I failed the objective, so trial by fire did not trigger after I evac'ed my soldiers.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

How much is it worth, actually? Most of my low-levelled soldiers level up after mission due to mission xp anyway. How much does Trial By Fire save, actually?
Daergar

Post by Daergar »

Icarus wrote:How much is it worth, actually? Most of my low-levelled soldiers level up after mission due to mission xp anyway. How much does Trial By Fire save, actually?
That's true, but (without looking at the code) the more people you bring on a mission, the xp reward should be spread thinly across them all. If they do not get a kill or two, I can't them leveling up?

With trial by fire, you can bring a beast of an officer and another killing machine, then six squaddies and have them all level up to sgt in three missions flat by just doing non-lethal support. Basically power-level in bulk, which is helpful near mid-game if you continuously train new recruits.
DonCrabio

Post by DonCrabio »

Icarus wrote:How much is it worth, actually? Most of my low-levelled soldiers level up after mission due to mission xp anyway. How much does Trial By Fire save, actually?
You can level up to 7 soldiers on Extremely Light missions. It's awesome perk,, I find it extremely useful.
theballrus

Post by theballrus »

Does trial by fire promote psionic soldiers?
belhedler

Post by belhedler »

DonCrabio wrote:
You can level up to 7 soldiers on Extremely Light missions. It's awesome perk,, I find it extremely useful.
It's trully useful with Lead By Example on a high aim officer on top of that.
deducter

Post by deducter »

theballrus wrote:Does trial by fire promote psionic soldiers?
I can confirm this, I have done so to promote psi soldier.
aureon

Post by aureon »

Dwarfling wrote:Just remember not to overdo-it with the Squaddies and LCPLs, they still suck past early game. I like to play it safe and bring one at a time. Had enough issues already when facing Archons, Heavy MECs and whatnot on Ex Light missions :shock: .
Nah.
Just take a mission you'd 4-man, and bring advisor, 1-2 TSGT+, 6-7 LCPL\SQ.