Psi Trooper level up progression question

Share strategy and tips here.
Jj001

Psi Trooper level up progression question

Post by Jj001 »

Hey guys I had a question regarding psi troopers. I have three side Troopers in my current campaign and whenever each of them level up they pretty much get access to the same skills with the exception of one side Trooper who got access to null Lance first before domination. Is the skill progression the same or is it random?
JulianSkies

Re: Psi Trooper level up progression question

Post by JulianSkies »

Technically random, but there are prerequisites to unlocking certain skills meaning you end up quite capable of choosing the skills they'll get.
Zork

Post by Zork »

Frankly there's curently huge bugs in Psi, but it's such a garbage that I don't see what to report. I have Master Psi with less skills than a Dsciple Psi, sigh. I suppose I got a bug with both.

Anyway bugs or not I dislike a lot the blind design, it's rather awful to hide everything and let players pick blindly, or perhaps look at some tedious wiki out of game, quite a design failure, sorry for the negativity but it deserve it.
NOT a tactical/strategy expert player, playing LW2 at Easy. Rather old so I appreciate not be bothered by excessive familiarity, I'm not your friend and will never be. Refuse to learn English well so don't attempt learn it to me, thank you. :-)
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

It's not a design choice, it's a priorities choice. The base game UI displays 3 choices when a trooper levels up and nothing else. Pavonis can either spend their time redesigning a new UI for Psi Troopers or they can spend it balancing their mod and fixing bugs. They decided fixing bugs and having a balanced mod is more important than having an UI that displays the prerequisites for Psi Troopers skills.

If you want the "skill tree" you can see it here. You can also put that picture in your game's folder so you can access it offline. It's a bit annoying to alt-tab out of the game to see it but not terribly so.
Zork wrote:I have Master Psi with less skills than a Dsciple Psi, sigh. I suppose I got a bug with both.
Are you sure it's actually a Master or just a soldier who learned a Master level skill? You can see the actual level in the armory list but if you look at the soldier's skill it will always highlight the highest skill-rank the trooper has learned so if he learned Domination or Void Rift the rank Master will be highlighted even if he only learned 3 skills and is therefore actually a Disciple.
Once again it's a limitation of the base game UI.
Zork

Post by Zork »

LordYanaek wrote:It's not a design choice, it's a priorities choice. The base game UI displays 3 choices when a trooper levels up and nothing else. Pavonis can either spend their time redesigning a new UI for Psi Troopers or they can spend it balancing their mod and fixing bugs. They decided fixing bugs and having a balanced mod is more important than having an UI that displays the prerequisites for Psi Troopers skills.

If you want the "skill tree" you can see it here. You can also put that picture in your game's folder so you can access it offline. It's a bit annoying to alt-tab out of the game to see it but not terribly so.
Zork wrote:I have Master Psi with less skills than a Dsciple Psi, sigh. I suppose I got a bug with both.
Are you sure it's actually a Master or just a soldier who learned a Master level skill? You can see the actual level in the armory list but if you look at the soldier's skill it will always highlight the highest skill-rank the trooper has learned so if he learned Domination or Void Rift the rank Master will be highlighted even if he only learned 3 skills and is therefore actually a Disciple.
Once again it's a limitation of the base game UI.
Sure choices have to be done, no dev can do everything he could want do, but that's just history explanation, it's still a significant design flaw to my eyes.

For the level it's the level shown by the game for the Psi, not the level of the highest skill.

Master with few skills: Alienation, Fuse, Schism, Solace, Fortress, Stasis.

Warlock (not Disciple) with many skills: Alienation, Solace, Fortress, Stasis, Null Lance, Void Rift

Im' not sure to have find back the Psi lower level with "too many" skills because with garbage in sorts it's hard to be sure I check them all. But it's quite possible I felt the Warlock has a lot of skills because he has one less passive so one more active. And it's the only one with both Null Lance and Void Rift so it's impressive.
NOT a tactical/strategy expert player, playing LW2 at Easy. Rather old so I appreciate not be bothered by excessive familiarity, I'm not your friend and will never be. Refuse to learn English well so don't attempt learn it to me, thank you. :-)
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

Zork wrote: Master with few skills: Alienation, Fuse, Schism, Solace, Fortress, Stasis.

Warlock (not Disciple) with many skills: Alienation, Solace, Fortress, Stasis, Null Lance, Void Rift
What's that alienation skill? Are you talking about Insanity Image or maybe Domination Image?

It's strange, to say the least, that neither of them have Soulfire or Mind Merge since those are basic abilities that every Psi trooper have, along with Insanity :shock: (unless you didn't mention the basic abilities).

Anyway, a Warlock can have 5 "learned" skills so it's impossible to get all 3 "big" skills (Null Lance, Void Rift and Domination) at that level (still not sure what skill Alienation refers to)

At magus, it's perfectly possible to pick all of the big skills if you take only the prerequisites (Solace, Fortress, Stasis) when you don't see Null Lance, Void Rift or Domination and pick those as soon as you see them. A Master would then have 1 more skill to either boost a previous one (Schism would actually boost both Insanity and Void Rift) or pick Fuse.