Enemy strength increase on Lib. 3 after failed DataTap. Bug or intended?

H1v3m1nd

Enemy strength increase on Lib. 3 after failed DataTap. Bug or intended?

Post by H1v3m1nd »

The basics first...

LW2 v1.2
PC, Commander/Ironman difficulty
Mods:
Cosmetic - Ink and Paint, Capnbubs Accessories Pack, International Voices, Drone Reveal Animation
Gameplay - Gotcha Again, Perfect Information, LW2: ShowMeTheSkills Revived, Stop Wasting My Time

A bit of context...

Mid-May I detected the Lib 3 mission with a very nice expiration time, so decided to take a hit-and-run team of 5 that could 200% infiltrate. Lib 3 mission had a base line activity rating of Light-Moderate. Right on 99% infiltration, DataTap retaliation mission pops... Not a big deal, could probably just let it slide, but I have a Haven Advisor that I like. So I play a successful, fighting evac and leave the DataTap to it's fate.

Back to the strategy map. The base line activity of the Lib 3 mission has increased to Moderate. Then running the mission to 200% infiltration brings the strength down to... Light-Moderate?? The original baseline. (I also manage to roll Lightning Reflexes and Vigilance as my first 2 DEs...) Goodbye 5 man hit-and-run team.

I looked into the Liberation mission details here http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... 20&t=24973 and it mentioned nothing about increasing Advent strength as a penalty. And I know it wasn't from advent reinforcing the region either, since Advent Strength in the region remained at 6 the whole time.

I can provide a save game if that helps. Never thought I'd say this, but I'm very happy I save scummed before the DataTap. (Those missions can be utterly unforgiving in LW2 1.2)

So basically, is this running as intended, and it's just a penalty I'm unaware of? Or has something (other then bad RNG) gone wrong with my campaign?
Sporadix

Re: Enemy strength increase on Lib. 3 after failed DataTap. Bug or intended?

Post by Sporadix »

There is some really weird stuff going on with the Liberation missions. My guess is that it has to do with how the +3 strength modifier is applied. When I infiltrate to levels beyond 100% or use an intel boost, it actually INCREASES the enemy activity level. I can't imagine that's working as intended.
H1v3m1nd

Re: Enemy strength increase on Lib. 3 after failed DataTap. Bug or intended?

Post by H1v3m1nd »

Hmm yeah, having thought on it a little more... (the following is speculation, so please take with a grain of salt) This probably had nothing to do with the DataTap at all, it just happened to pop exactly when Lib 3 was at 100%. Instead there was no way for my squad to infiltrate past the Light-Moderate baseline to begin with (because of +3 mod), and the baseline strength increase I saw, was part of weirdness that you mentioned.