Soldiers don't use covers and become easy targets

sirburton

Soldiers don't use covers and become easy targets

Post by sirburton »

Hi guys.
I don't know if this is a bug from LW2 or else.
However, it's happening that my soldiers don't stay crouched behind a low repair so they become 100% hit target for enemies.
Is this a known bug ?
My Fearless Xcoms! --> Here
sirburton

Re: Soldiers don't use covers and become easy targets

Post by sirburton »

It's like there's some script or something that allows the enemy to deal a-must damage per mission, so there's one or more soldiers that stay upright to allow enemies to hit them instead of staying crouched behind covers
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

Sounds like badly built maps or some kind of weird configuration error on your end. The animation being played doesn't change the bonus offered by cover.

That or you're accidentally moving soldiers into bad positions.

Besides that, sometimes the AI just gets lucky. Certain enemies (esp. high-end Mutons) have very good aim against targets in cover, and will probably also use explosives to remove that cover. Other times they can just manage to nail that 10 or 20 percent hit chance even if the target is in full cover. Can't be helped.
sirburton

Post by sirburton »

Arcalane wrote:Sounds like badly built maps or some kind of weird configuration error on your end. The animation being played doesn't change the bonus offered by cover.

That or you're accidentally moving soldiers into bad positions.

Besides that, sometimes the AI just gets lucky. Certain enemies (esp. high-end Mutons) have very good aim against targets in cover, and will probably also use explosives to remove that cover. Other times they can just manage to nail that 10 or 20 percent hit chance even if the target is in full cover. Can't be helped.
I think it's either some maps' glitch or some script bug. For example I have a soldier crouched behind a half cover, then an enemy starts aiming at this soldier and he's already upright even before the enemy fires. And when it goes like this I already know it will be 100% hit
sirburton

Post by sirburton »

Look here for example
1.jpg
1.jpg (196.74 KiB) Viewed 22361 times
The rebel inside my beautiful red circle.
When I ended my turn she was regularly crouched behind her cover.
During enemy turn as an Advent officer started to mark her she's already upright and ready to take a shot that will lead her to certain death.
This is both ugly to see and stupid.
Has Anyone else met this stupid -bug- ?
And most important thing, I thought that it was some bug about that particular rebel. So i re-did my turn moving that rebel far away behind a full cover to avoid any bug. But surprise! Another rebel took her "role" and stood upright to meet certain death, and in a different place, not the same one of the previous rebel.
fowlJ

Post by fowlJ »

Are you sure that they are actually not benefiting from cover? Because shot accuracy doesn't have anything to do with whether a unit is crouching or not, that's just an animation that they play. If the rebel is not 'really' in cover (as far as the game is concerned), they would have a yellow shield icon next to their HP bar, similar to the half shield icon next to the rebel beside them.
sirburton

Post by sirburton »

fowlJ wrote:Are you sure that they are actually not benefiting from cover? Because shot accuracy doesn't have anything to do with whether a unit is crouching or not, that's just an animation that they play. If the rebel is not 'really' in cover (as far as the game is concerned), they would have a yellow shield icon next to their HP bar, similar to the half shield icon next to the rebel beside them.
The fact is, when it's the turn of an advent soldier (for example) I already see a rebel standing upright even before the advent soldier starts to move or aim. And when I see a rebel standing upright I already know enemies will be firing at him/her and it will be 100% damage/dead.
It always goes like this.
seananigans

Post by seananigans »

Well, it's entirely possible the game is just preparing for what it knows is going to happen. They can still be hit through cover, you know.

You can see this behavior when you queue up an attack with a long animation or something else that takes some time, your soldier receives a promotion notification, then upwards of 5 seconds later the shot hits the target and kills it. As soon as a decision is made, it seems like XCOM2 has already made the relevant rolls, whether or not the animations are done playing. So in this case, likely the AI decided it was going to move somewhere and shoot this person, and thus the soldier is standing ready to animate his or her "ouch that plasma to my face hurts" animation.
sirburton

Post by sirburton »

seananigans wrote:Well, it's entirely possible the game is just preparing for what it knows is going to happen. They can still be hit through cover, you know.

You can see this behavior when you queue up an attack with a long animation or something else that takes some time, your soldier receives a promotion notification, then upwards of 5 seconds later the shot hits the target and kills it. As soon as a decision is made, it seems like XCOM2 has already made the relevant rolls, whether or not the animations are done playing. So in this case, likely the AI decided it was going to move somewhere and shoot this person, and thus the soldier is standing ready to animate his or her "ouch that plasma to my face hurts" animation.
Idk if it is like you say. Idk if they standing upright is irrelevant for the shot hitting them or not or if they standing upright actually MAKES the shot hit them 100% sure. However it looks quite weird and ugly
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

Unfortunately your screenshot isn't much help because you managed to cut out the part that actually shows the specific soldier's cover status.

I do however note that that is clearly a haven rebel. Is it only occurring with the rebels?
sirburton

Post by sirburton »

Arcalane wrote:Unfortunately your screenshot isn't much help because you managed to cut out the part that actually shows the specific soldier's cover status.

I do however note that that is clearly a haven rebel. Is it only occurring with the rebels?
It happened during regular mission too. The rebel is right against a half cover just like the one next to her. And as you can see that one is crouched while the other one (that will die under enemy fire) was upright even before the enemy started aiming at her.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

This one is similar to one bug i also encountered once. In my case i thought it was because of mind control, but maybe it has something to do with corner cover. http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... 17&t=23577 bug 4.1

I saw that often on playthroughs that with bad configurations or bad custom map mods, map elements are still shown/visualized after being destroyed, which leads many players to wrong assumptions that there soldiers are not getting cover, which practically do not exist. However in the screenshot it seems like this is not the case.
sirburton

Post by sirburton »

The more I play the more it becomes obvious that
if the AI has decided that your soldier must take damage/die....it will happen. And it will happen in the ugliest and most irrealistic way.
I had a soldier perfectly behind a full cover, and an enemy soldier from quite a distance fired at him. Well the shots (normal shots) went through the cover and inflincted full damage, not even scratch. If the roles were inverted, it would have been something like 15-20% chance for my xcom to hit an enemy right where my xcom were standing. This truly pisses me off
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

Similarily.. i had some instance(s) where someone in full-cover would take "consecutive" Overwatch shots & since they normally make a side-step out of cover to deal these shots... each time the tile they standed onto "followed" up that process. Effectively putting that soldier in the open after the turns ends.
Hilariously -- unfunny. Still a bug, IMO.
cerebrawl

Post by cerebrawl »

I had a soldier behind a pillar in the prison cell area get counted as flanked by enemies on the other side of his cover, several squares away (yellow full cover symbol, but nobody in position to flank). As a sidenote: I've had this happen to my enemies quite a few times too, giving me flank shots when I'm not flanking and they should have full cover against me.

Funniest cover bug I've seen is probably when a soldier is using a tree as full cover, and shooting at an enemy 90 degrees to the side(flanking him), and the tree spontaneously explodes into bits.
sirburton

Post by sirburton »

oh jesus this is still going on and i'm starting to hate it with all my strength. Why do all my tard xcoms prefer to be filled with lead instead of staying crouched behind their cover? Firaxis please do some better coding