Arc blaster animation, proving ground projects and other bugs

Arrakis

Arc blaster animation, proving ground projects and other bugs

Post by Arrakis »

LW 2 Version 1.1, windows 10, no other mods, cleaned config folder

Here are some bugs and inconsistencies I discovered and that are not mentioned in the 1.2 preview:

1. Arc Blaster animation: The soldier seems to draw the weapon, but without the weapon actually appearing in his hand. Then the animation cuts off and the targeted enemy recieves the hit without a shooting animation. This applies to single shots as well as to chain lightning and only affects the final tier (arc blaster), the other two tiers work as intended.

2. Network Tower station hack: The stun animation does only work on previously activated pods. Other enemies still get stunned, but don't show the proper animation.

3. Shadow armor research report: The report is cut off mid-sentence. It also has a typo ( a capital H instead of h in "so far we Haven't)

4. Pistols: When a soldier already has a pistol equipped, it says "Max 1 unknown weapon category per soldier" for gauss and plasma pistols.

5. RAGE armor: Upgrading the RAGE suit to the next tier unlocks the "experimental powered weapon" proving ground project from vanilla. This project is free and instant and produces weapons that are normally disabled in lw 2, like the hellfire projector.

6. Hard Target dark event: Shen's comment on the dark event just says "."

7. Continent bonus: The bonus for asia is supposed to unlock with 4 regions contacted and 2 relays. For me it unlocked with only 3 regions contacted when I finished a third relay on the continent.

8. Instand autopsies: With the exception of the advent officer, vanilla autopsies become instant after killing enough enemies of that type. This does not apply to the muton elite and the drone.

9. Dragon rounds: The proving ground project does not offer a free prototype like the other ammo projects.

10. Bonus loot: recovering the black site vial also provided a weapon upgrade.

Edit:
11. Icarus Armor: The description still says that it provides two inventory item slots.
Arrakis

Re: Arc blaster animation, proving ground projects and other bugs

Post by Arrakis »

Apparently the Muton Elite autopsy does become instant after completing some other research, all the other points still seem to apply to version 1.2, though.
MrCritterfur

Post by MrCritterfur »

Did the RAGE armor/Experimental Powered weapons issue get fixed? Because I just had it happen in 1.4 and I can't find any mention of it in the forums.

When I made the RAGE armor, it said something about infusing it with elerium to make it stronger. But no upgrade option was available. But EPW opened up in research immediately. 0 days, and no results.

I can't seem to upgrade the RAGE armor, and the EPW research is instant, but does nothing it seems.

Do you automatically get the RAGE suit from researching the Berserker Queen? Because I researched it, got the option to make it in engineering, and one completed, it immediately told me about infusing the suit with Elerium, and seems to automatically have become the RAGE armor.

I'd have to go back in my save to double check. I kind of clicked through real fast.

I seem to recall having to research in Proving Grounds/Engineering the upgrade for the Viper King armor though.

UPDATE: I tried it again and double checked. After researching the Berserker Queen, I get the option to improve the RAGE suit in the Proving grounds. Once I finish improving it in the Proving Grounds, I get a pop up about the RAGE suit and what it is, and what we could do to it and a prototype has been added to my inventory, then immediately I get a pop up after about the RAGE armor and how it was improved.

Strangely enough, this time around, I didn't get the EPW bug. The only thing I did different was did the RAGE armor first unliek my other try through where I think I did the Acid grenade first.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

The Experimental Powered Weapon bug is fixed for 1.5, yes.
Arrakis

Post by Arrakis »

The Dragon Rounds bug also seems to be fixed in 1.5. Any news about the other points?
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

Blacksite vial offering loot is vanilla behavior. Loot crates on recover item missions also had real loot in them too, but a bug in the base game prevented it from showing them to you in the item recovered screen. They would appear in the final mission loot summary, though, so if you counted everything you got over the mission it wouldn't match the final screen due to the secret loot from the crate etc.

As for the rest of the list, I'm not entirely sure because this is a very old thread that was recently resurrected, it's possible that some of these have been fixed in earlier versions as well. I'll go through it and see what else I can find.
Arrakis

Post by Arrakis »

Yes, I know that this thread is old, since I am the one who started it :)
I just finished a test run and apart from the Experimental Powered Weapon project, which appeared as a research project instead of (as I seemed to recall in the original post) a proving ground project, and the instant autopsy for Muton Elites, which eventually unlocked after some othe research, all points still seem to apply to the current build of LW2.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

Thanks for the update. I just checked in fixes for #1 and #3. I'll get to the others as I can.
Arrakis

Post by Arrakis »

Could #2 be related to that stun bug in the "chain lightning bug" thread?
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

It could well be, but only in some unusual circumstances that would give them action points. Usually on your turn the aliens all have 0 action points, which is why stuns work in vanilla. The bug I fixed was only for activated aliens who had extra action points being incorrectly added, and shouldn't interfere with unactivated pods.

I did test it though, and can't repro the problem when I play somewhat normally. If I cheat in the mission and hack the device on turn 1 by teleporting a soldier to the objective the bug repros because all the aliens have action points since they haven't have their first turn yet. But if I let the aliens have a turn and then teleport in and hack, they all get stunned correctly. So either it's fixed indirectly by something else or there is something else going on giving them action points in your game, but I don't know what that is. Could be another mod, or maybe another bug somewhere else but without a save I am going to have a very hard time tracking down where it occurs.
Arrakis

Post by Arrakis »

I used no other mods and don't have a save available, but you are right about the cheats - I used them while searching for bugs to check as much as possible of the game in a short time. In this case I activated one pod, teleported into the control room, hacked the console and checked the other pods - all in the first round. I did not know that this would cause a false alarm, sorry for the confusion.
Last edited by Arrakis on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

Not a problem, thanks for all the testing! I had a similar problem tracking down the chain lightning bug because I was using the console to drop units and immediately stun them. The dropped units had action points too, so I was reproing the stun bug with the arc blade in vanilla and thought it was a vanilla bug for a while before tracking it down to reflex actions.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

Update on the status of these:
1. Arc Blaster animation: The soldier seems to draw the weapon, but without the weapon actually appearing in his hand. Then the animation cuts off and the targeted enemy recieves the hit without a shooting animation. This applies to single shots as well as to chain lightning and only affects the final tier (arc blaster), the other two tiers work as intended.

2. Network Tower station hack: The stun animation does only work on previously activated pods. Other enemies still get stunned, but don't show the proper animation.

3. Shadow armor research report: The report is cut off mid-sentence. It also has a typo ( a capital H instead of h in "so far we Haven't)

4. Pistols: When a soldier already has a pistol equipped, it says "Max 1 unknown weapon category per soldier" for gauss and plasma pistols.

5. RAGE armor: Upgrading the RAGE suit to the next tier unlocks the "experimental powered weapon" proving ground project from vanilla. This project is free and instant and produces weapons that are normally disabled in lw 2, like the hellfire projector.
All fixed in 1.5
6. Hard Target dark event: Shen's comment on the dark event just says "."
Yeah, looks like this may have been added as a placeholder, and the translators dutifully copied it over as "." to all the other languages. We'd need to write the actual text here and get it translated, so it'll need to be batched with other loc changes. I don't think we have any outstanding right now, so this might be a while.
7. Continent bonus: The bonus for asia is supposed to unlock with 4 regions contacted and 2 relays. For me it unlocked with only 3 regions contacted when I finished a third relay on the continent.
This is vanilla behavior. You need 6 "levels" of contact to get the bonus in Asia, and a contact and a relay are both worth 1. So 4 contacts + 2 radios will satisfy it, as will 3 of each.
8. Instand autopsies: With the exception of the advent officer, vanilla autopsies become instant after killing enough enemies of that type. This does not apply to the muton elite and the drone.
Muton Elite should work (you updated in a later comment). Drone is missing this, I've noted it to JL to set the correct value here.
9. Dragon rounds: The proving ground project does not offer a free prototype like the other ammo projects.
Fixed in 1.5
10. Bonus loot: recovering the black site vial also provided a weapon upgrade.

As noted earlier in the thread, this is vanilla behavior that was always there, a bug/feature in vanilla prevented it from appearing in the loot recovered UI.
Edit:
11. Icarus Armor: The description still says that it provides two inventory item slots.
Another loc issue, so that'd have to be changed as 6 above.
Arrakis

Post by Arrakis »

Thanks for the update, and thanks for the great post-release support! It is good to know that you keep updating this mod and I can't wait to see what comes next (Long War of the Chosen 2 maybe?). If I encounter other bugs i will be sure to report them. Do you prefer threads like this, or should I open a new thread for each bug?
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

Individual threads is good for bigger things, if they're distinct bugs. But if you find a few related issues or small stuff like config bugs or typos feel free to batch em up.