Flamethrower still needs work

infidel901

Flamethrower still needs work

Post by infidel901 »

The flamethrower still needs work on its point of origin and its path. The "kick out" that it has now is very counterintuitive. Often you cannot hit something right in front of you.
cerebrawl

Re: Flamethrower still needs work

Post by cerebrawl »

This was deliberate so that the soldier doesn't set himself on fire. If the space next to him is on fire, he will start to burn next turn.

In vanilla XCOM 2 this caused soldiers who used Saturation Fire with higher tech weapons to set themselves on fire, until there was a workaround patched(a modder did a fix, and Firaxis put it in a patch)... the flamer has the "don't set yourself on fire" workaround.
infidel901

Post by infidel901 »

This greatly hinders the use though. It is reasonable for enemies to stay in cover. It is also reasonable that a technical will not want to stand in the open. Therefore the only situation where the flamethrower can be used is where there are at least 2 tiles of cover separated by a third tile (since the technical would also prefer i assume to not be adjacent to the enemy after his attack, just in case), and even then if one of the tiles was explosive (and could then hurt the technical) it would not be useful. Also this limits the ability to use it on multiple targets, since it is even less likely to find more than one alien that is this obliging.
Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I also find this very frustrating. hazmat suits are in the game and cheap, so there's no reason to not wear one on a flamer. I'd much rather the clown standing right in front of the thrower doesn't somehow avoid the mass of flames rushing past them.
infidel901

Post by infidel901 »

the gun on the first mec suit does the same thing, btw. The fiery tiles theory doesn't work for that.