Walk out of suppression, no reaction shot, but still "Suppressed" aim penalty?

AlexTFish

Walk out of suppression, no reaction shot, but still "Suppressed" aim penalty?

Post by AlexTFish »

I had a SPARK suppressed by an ADVENT MEC. I made someone else (a Gunner, I think) suppress the ADVENT MEC. That didn't actually stop the suppression animation/sfx, but I was able to walk my SPARK away from the suppressed spot without receiving a reaction shot from the MEC. Bizarrely, though, when I went to shoot someone with the SPARK, it had a surprisingly low To Hit, which turned out to be because it still had the "Suppression" penalty (at least as displayed in the calculation on the left side of the control panel).

Long War 1.2, Windows 7. Quite a lot of other mods including Perfect Information.
DjAci

Re: Walk out of suppression, no reaction shot, but still "Suppressed" aim penalty?

Post by DjAci »

I second that. Similar situations happend to me multiple times during my campaign.

ADVENT Gunner area supresses. I run the supression (sometimes taking damage) far out of the area supress field, but i end up still with the supress debuff.
Alketi

Re: Walk out of suppression, no reaction shot, but still "Suppressed" aim penalty?

Post by Alketi »

The same thing just happened on Xavier's (xwynns) last episode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeKSwK1 ... t=1h12m44s

He shrugged it off as only removing the Overwatch component but not the Suppression component, however, even after moving his soldier he still had the suppression aim penalty. Seems like a pretty clear bug to me.
Jadiel

Post by Jadiel »

DjAci wrote:I second that. Similar situations happend to me multiple times during my campaign.

ADVENT Gunner area supresses. I run the supression (sometimes taking damage) far out of the area supress field, but i end up still with the supress debuff.
I'm not sure if this is WAD, but I'm also not sure if I want it fixed. I think it's balanced that if you avoid getting shot by clever LOSing, you should still have some penalties from being supressed. I like the fact that when I supress enemies I know I'm either going to get to shoot them, or I'm going to disable their abilities/give them a penalty to hit. I would be a lot more annoyed by enemies just walking out of my supression with no ill-effects at all than I would be pleased by the fact that I can do the same thing to the enemy.

If you run the supression though (and the enemy gets a reaction shot), then you shouldn't be affected by it anymore.
dstar3k

Post by dstar3k »

Jadiel wrote:
DjAci wrote:I second that. Similar situations happend to me multiple times during my campaign.

I'm not sure if this is WAD, but I'm also not sure if I want it fixed. I think it's balanced that if you avoid getting shot by clever LOSing, you should still have some penalties from being supressed. I like the fact that when I supress enemies I know I'm either going to get to shoot them, or I'm going to disable their abilities/give them a penalty to hit. I would be a lot more annoyed by enemies just walking out of my supression with no ill-effects at all than I would be pleased by the fact that I can do the same thing to the enemy.

If you run the supression though (and the enemy gets a reaction shot), then you shouldn't be affected by it anymore.
My understanding is that if no reaction shot from the suppressor occurs, the debuff remains, but if one does, whether it hits or not, it doesn't, and that seems fair to me, and I understood it was intended.

Given the 'sometimes taking damage' from DjAci, though, it sounds like there _is_ a bug that causes the debuff not to be removed sometimes? Unless maybe there were two gunners suppressing, and only one took a shot?

...come to think of it, if you have two gunners suppressing a target, does the aim debuff _stack_? That would be awesome, except for the times when I'm doing a supply raid at ~50% infiltration (because I boosted the ~25% infiltration I managed in the couple of days I had for the baseline Extremely Heavy supply raid (just to pick an example at random, not at all something I've had happen over and over, no sirree)) when I activate multiple pods at once without intending to (moving up one square so that I can get all of the previously activated pod in a flashbang and revealing _TWO OTHER PODS_ not that that's ever happened to me AAAAAAArgh). Because then it would suck really really hard unless I had a technical.
darkerevent

Post by darkerevent »

I also suspect this is WAD, although I consider it immersion breaking and wish that it didn't work that way. Mystically being prevented from throwing a flashbang because a guy is firing wildly at a location which is now 8 tiles away from me and on the other side of a full wall just feels dumb, and it has happened enough times that it's on my short list of mechanics that I would change if I knew how.
fowlJ

Post by fowlJ »

darkerevent wrote:it's on my short list of mechanics that I would change if I knew how.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... earchtext=
DjAci

Post by DjAci »

darkerevent wrote:I also suspect this is WAD, although I consider it immersion breaking and wish that it didn't work that way. Mystically being prevented from throwing a flashbang because a guy is firing wildly at a location which is now 8 tiles away from me and on the other side of a full wall just feels dumb, and it has happened enough times that it's on my short list of mechanics that I would change if I knew how.
I agree, completely immersion breaking for at best a very minor gameplay bonus that is also questionable. If you can avoid suppression shot by LOS or moving out of range (if you were at the edge) is just a part of the tactical layer that you need to take into consideration when using it. No problem at all.
Ithuriel

Post by Ithuriel »

AlexTFish wrote:I had a SPARK suppressed by an ADVENT MEC. I made someone else (a Gunner, I think) suppress the ADVENT MEC. That didn't actually stop the suppression animation/sfx, but I was able to walk my SPARK away from the suppressed spot without receiving a reaction shot from the MEC. Bizarrely, though, when I went to shoot someone with the SPARK, it had a surprisingly low To Hit, which turned out to be because it still had the "Suppression" penalty (at least as displayed in the calculation on the left side of the control panel).

Long War 1.2, Windows 7. Quite a lot of other mods including Perfect Information.
My understanding is that this isn't actually a bug; it's WAD. Suppression, I think, doesn't break whether you take the reaction shot or not. I believe this applies to the reverse as well- if you suppress an enemy, they're at an aim penalty on their turn unless somebody cancels the suppression, period. If anybody has the authority to correct me go ahead- but if not, this isn't a bug at all.
darkerevent

Post by darkerevent »

fowlJ wrote:
darkerevent wrote:it's on my short list of mechanics that I would change if I knew how.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... earchtext=
Thanks very much, I'll look into this!
bingo12345

Post by bingo12345 »

this is working as designed. you can avoid suppression reaction fire while moving to covered area. but you will get penalty because you are still suppressed.
Jadiel

Post by Jadiel »

Ithuriel wrote:My understanding is that this isn't actually a bug; it's WAD. Suppression, I think, doesn't break whether you take the reaction shot or not. I believe this applies to the reverse as well- if you suppress an enemy, they're at an aim penalty on their turn unless somebody cancels the suppression, period. If anybody has the authority to correct me go ahead- but if not, this isn't a bug at all.
I'm pretty sure you're wrong. When enemies run the reaction shot, they can use special abilities (Snakes spit, etc). Unless you consider that cancelling the suppression I guess.