Solace causing lag

dstar3k

Solace causing lag

Post by dstar3k »

This may be a vanilla bug, I honestly don't recall (I actually don't recall having any psi ops with Solace in vanilla), but if I have a psi op with Solace on a mission, anytime I tell a unit to move there's a 1.5-2s delay before they do.

My first guess (from my two decades of experience as a developer, so I'd say there's a 50/50 chance of it having anything to do with the cause at best :) ) is that it's something like a crappy algorithm checking to see if the unit is still in range for Solace (or, worse, checking _every_ unit to see if it's in range for Solace, rather than doing so only if the moving unit is the one providing Solace? That could actually be tested relatively easy -- next time I get a retal, I'll do a save, take two units, one of which has solace, then reload and take the maximum, and see if there's a difference in the lag... from (unreliable) memory, I think that may actually be the case, as I seem to recall the delay varying between missions.)

Even if it's a vanilla bug, maybe it's something you can fix (and pass on to the devs for any expansions that may or may not be planned).