Spark Overdrive ability is broken?

sarge945

Spark Overdrive ability is broken?

Post by sarge945 »

I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate. I searched for Overdrive and didn't find anything. I have noticed that the SPARK Overdrive ability (the one that gives them an extra action) doesn't actually give them an extra action. They cannot move or do anything, and your only option is to end your turn.

Long War Version: 1.2
Platform: Windows 7 x64

Heres a way to reproduce the bug. I currently only have SPARK-001 in my game, so I don't know if its related to that or all SPARKs

1. Start a mission with a SPARK
2. Use overdrive
3. Look in horror as you can't use your third action to save your squadmates
4. Watch everyone die horribly

Has anyone else noticed this? Here is my modlist:

Code: Select all

Gameplay (1):
	Long War 2                              	LW_Overhaul                  	844674609

Bugfixes and Essentials (2):
	Skyranger Lift Sound Fix                	SkyrangerLiftSoundFix        	868937841
	Remove Missing Mods                     	RemoveMissingMods            	641394554

Character Customisation (7):
	Capnbubs Accessories Pack               	CapnbubsAccessoriesPack      	618977388
	Stenchfury Modular Helmets              	StenchfuryModularHelmets     	636400624
	Mute Voice Pack                         	MuteVoicePack                	637077429
	Anarchys Children Extra Options         	AnarchysChildrenExtraOptions 	651406954
	Add Part Names                          	AddedPartNames               	878158600
	CX Praetor Armor (Doomguy / Chick 2016) 	CXDoomGuyarmor               	890667061
	Stenchfury Modular Armors               	StenchfuryModularArmors      	729351665

QoL (16):
	Overwatch All/Others                    	OverwatchAll                 	621695447
	TacticalUI KillCounter                  	KillCounter                  	749138678
	Show More Buff Details                  	ShowMoreBuffDetails          	709499969
	No Drop-down Lists                      	LEBDropDownReplacement       	865667559
	LW2: ShowMeTheSkills Revived            	LEBShowMeTheSkills_LW2       	861432746
	LW2: Better Squad Icon Selector         	LW2BetterSquadIconSelector   	848382778
	New Target Icons                        	NewTargetIcons               	907089937
	Gotcha Again                            	GotchaAgain                  	866874504
	Blackmarket Usage                       	BlackmarketUsage             	648410303
	Unit Selection Order                    	UnitSelectionOrder           	839670497
	Upcoming events in hours                	Upcomingeventsinhours        	627156954
	LW2: Requested Squad Icons              	LW2RequestedSquadIcons       	849597889
	Customize UIEventNotice                 	CustomizeUIEventNotice       	885278302
	Numeric Health Display                  	NumericHealthDisplay         	621376448
	Evac All                                	EvacAll                      	618669868
	Quick soldier info                      	Quicksoldierinfo             	642371502

Achievements (3):
	Some More Achievements                  	SomeMoreAchievements         	729582723
	Mod Achievement System                  	ModAchievementSystem         	729577219
	Achievements for Long War 2             	AchievementsForLW2           	845824236

Speedups (2):
	robojumper's various speed-ups          	FasterOverwatch              	746389497
	Stop Wasting My Time                    	StopWastingMyTime            	620600092
LordYanaek

Re: Spark Overdrive ability is broken?

Post by LordYanaek »

No, i never noticed this and have used Sparks regularly :shock:
When you say you don't get the 3rd action, does it actually appear when you click on Overdrive (you should see a 3rd ">" appear below the unit's name).
What i have seen is when i use Overdrive first and then make a double move (using it like RnG) to a point i first identified as being the extreme limit of my movement, it sometimes uses all 3 actions probably due to bad rounding of available movement so now i blue-move first, then use overdrive, take the second move then shoot. At least this way i can always see how far i can move and still have an action to fire.
But i have always received the additional action.
nmkaplan

Post by nmkaplan »

The other thing that happens with overdrive is that even after you've used all three actions, it doesn't remove the SPARK from the rotation of soldiers that still have actions left.

This causes exactly what you described: even after all actions on all soldiers have been used, the turn doesn't end, and you're left with a selected SPARK but nothing to do with it, requiring clicking the "end turn" button.

This happens every single time I use overdrive, but I do always still get the 3rd action.
sarge945

Post by sarge945 »

In one case, I activated it, fired a shot, and my turn immediately ended.

Other cases have involved movement, and I am not sure if I actually got the extra movement or not. I will have to check that out again.

Thanks
TheCiroth

Post by TheCiroth »

I have had the movement issue before. I didn't note where the spark could move to and I moved him too far to shoot. Overdrive does add a bit more yellow movement range. It is nice to get him out if he is too far away
LeaderEnemyBoss

Post by LeaderEnemyBoss »

LordYanaek wrote:No, i never noticed this and have used Sparks regularly :shock:
When you say you don't get the 3rd action, does it actually appear when you click on Overdrive (you should see a 3rd ">" appear below the unit's name).
What i have seen is when i use Overdrive first and then make a double move (using it like RnG) to a point i first identified as being the extreme limit of my movement, it sometimes uses all 3 actions probably due to bad rounding of available movement so now i blue-move first, then use overdrive, take the second move then shoot. At least this way i can always see how far i can move and still have an action to fire.
But i have always received the additional action.
This i think is not some "rounding" bug but rather strange AI behaviour. If a unit has only 2AP it will take the most efficient path to a point thats at the very edge of its movementradius. However as soon as you activate overdrive the AI no longer feels compelled to use the shortest path which results in it unnecessarily wasting 3AP when 2AP would be sufficient in some edge cases. I noticed this when comparing the "preview" movement path to a specific tile before and after i activated overdrive. I will usually resort to using the console to reclaim my infairly stolen AP in these cases ;).