Psi Zombie AI cheating

Phantom

Psi Zombie AI cheating

Post by Phantom »

Long War 1.3, Windows 10

Psi Zombies will always know the position of concealed units. If there is no unconcealed unit as target (or sightrange?) anymore the zombies will run towards concealed units revealing them although the AI should not know the position. It happened now three times in my campaign. I do not believe that it was just bad luck.
Daergar

Re: Psi Zombie AI cheating

Post by Daergar »

They can smell the brains.

Treat it as a challenge, not a bug.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

Heh no, I'd call that a bug if it's indeed the case. It certainly isn't intentional LW2 behavior, although it may be intentional vanilla behavior. I'll try to reproduce it and see if it's the AI actually making use of info it shouldn't be.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

Update: I can't reproduce this. I tested by dropping into a gatecrasher, killing all enemies, and spawning a single zombie. I let the zombie spot me to get it into red alert, then toggled squad concealment back on and teleported the original soldier he spotted out of the way.

Result: Zombie moved toward where the soldier was when it spotted him. This is by design behavior, as it got an alert pinged to that location where it spotted the soldier. But after a couple turns that alert expired, and the zombie wandered aimlessly for a bit, then stopped moving all together.

Not only that, but I can't even repro the zombie targeting an unconcealed soldier that it doesn't have direct vision on. Again if I let the zombie spot me and then teleport away, he moves toward the spot where he spotted my soldier, but since I'm no longer there, he gets lost and wanders. It definitely does not beeline any of my soldiers, even the ones the AI actually has indirect knowledge of because they aren't concealed.

So, I'm pretty sure the AI is not intentionally cheating in this scenario at least. If you can get a reproducible save that shows otherwise, please send it to me to take a look. If you're reconcealing a soldier that was spotted by the AI but not moving away from where you were spotted, then that would explain it and this is intentional behavior: the AI still knows where you *were*, and will go to investigate. If you're still there when they get there, they'll spot you.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Thanks for investigating this. I experienced it only with shinobi soldiers and phantom perk. Squad concealment is broken but not the shinobi, who has still individuel concealment (phantom perk). Also no reconcealment from stealth ability. Seems it was really just bad luck for me...