Crash due to too many reinforcements

Bullett00th

Crash due to too many reinforcements

Post by Bullett00th »

I'm on a retrieve VIP mission overwhelmed by reinforcements. I was ready to accept my losses and just evac as many operatives as I can but on the next enemy turn another batch of reinforcements comes in and there's so many enemies on screen that the game just crashes.

Enabling restart mission in the ini doesn't help because the game also crashes when I press restart.
I also tried lowering graphics settings to minimal to no avail. My machine should be able to handle it anyway - i5 6600, gtx1080, 16gb ram.
What do I do? I can't even lose.

I'll post my autosave here later if necessary.
my357magnum

Re: Crash due to too many reinforcements

Post by my357magnum »

I'm having the same problem, however mine is on a hack the advent computer mission.

I'm running a GTX 970 4GB with latest Nvidia drivers.
5th Generation i7, with 64 GB of RAM.

I've lowed the resolution to 1024x768, turned down all of the graphics settings to minimum yet it always crashes on the last round, which I can only assume is due to the sheer number of reinforcements that arrive.

I don't think it has to do with the number of particle systems, as it crashes if I minimize fires, debris, acid, etc... I've killed AT LEAST 120 advent and the game crashes when the Evac arrives. I can send a crash dump, but the log appears to show several out of bounds array accessor methods.

Is there any way to decrease the evac timer of an 'in mission' save?

Is there any way to disable reinforcements of an 'in mission' save?

Is there any way to clear the dead bodies from the level in order to free up Unreal assets?

Any suggestions will help.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

If you can provide the save that'd be great. I recall JL made some changes to avoid spawning too many aliens but the limit may still be too high on some systems.

To answer the other question, you can force the evac counter to 0 with the "\LWForceEvac" console command, and evac before the next batch of reinforcements comes.
Bullett00th

Post by Bullett00th »

sorry i completely forgot to upload the save, will do today in the evening.

I have i5 6600, gtx 1080 and 16GB RAM, didn't expect that system to have a hard time.
fun fact is the FPS dips to around 30 regardless of the settings or resolution.

So yeah too many models onscreen + dead bodies. I'd rather play with a more strict timer (true concealment helps) and more limited reinforcements.

Also that mission has fixed evac so forcing the counter to 0 won't help. Here's a screenshot of the last round that works. If I try to restart or end turn, the game crashes after the next batch of reinforcements comes
Bullett00th

Post by Bullett00th »

tracktwo wrote:If you can provide the save that'd be great. I recall JL made some changes to avoid spawning too many aliens but the limit may still be too high on some systems.

To answer the other question, you can force the evac counter to 0 with the "\LWForceEvac" console command, and evac before the next batch of reinforcements comes.
Here is the save, list of mods I use is here.

Really hope it helps)
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

Thanks for the save, but the link to the modlist doesn't work. I can't load your save without the mods, and there are *way* too many for me to try to track them all down one by one. If you're using the alternative mod launcher you can export your modlist profile and attach it here, too.
Bullett00th

Post by Bullett00th »

tracktwo wrote:Thanks for the save, but the link to the modlist doesn't work. I can't load your save without the mods, and there are *way* too many for me to try to track them all down one by one. If you're using the alternative mod launcher you can export your modlist profile and attach it here, too.
Here you go.

I have to point out that after uploading the save I did manage to solve the issue after disabling most cosmetic mods and using the KillAllAIs command. Note that this didn't remove any aliens from the mission VISUALLY. The models, animations and sounds were all still intact (like suppressing ones kept suppressing) but their cells were empty as if they weren't there.

I also checked CPU& GPU temps as well as RAM usage prior to and after the crashes, nothing out of the ordinary there.

Restart mission still caused crashes so when I got back to the avenger I started the process of migration according to the post on these forums. Apparently the update rolled out mid-mission and that may have caused issues. I don't know if I'm going to have the same problems going forward but I'll report on the go.

Will be grateful if you still take look at the save)
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

The save loads and runs fine for me (for certain values of "fine"... the framerate is pretty awful). After ending turn the reinforcements spawn in as normal and the huge legion of advent takes their turn as normal. One last request: can you send me your launch.log (in documents\my games\xcom2\xcomgame\logs)? The logs are almost always not helpful in debugging, but sometimes I have seem the game crash with a "rendering exception". I haven't seen it in a while, possibly since I last updated my video card drivers.

BTW the behavior of \KillAllAis is as expected. It doesn't actually kill them in the same way as a regular shot, and as you noticed doesn't clean up their pawns or anything. They still appear alive, but are considered dead by the game.
Bullett00th

Post by Bullett00th »

Here's the log:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2LNa ... 3Z0ZmU1N00

Thank you for checking.
I just crashed again after accepting a new mission (right when I was supposed to go to the loadou screen) so something else might be wrong. Either on my part or the game just not liking the update. I'll see if I can fix that and test mission restart function.

BTW could you try restart mission on my save and see how it goes?

edit: forget the crashing on mission accept, was a mod compatibility issue
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

That log file looks like it's from a normal game exit, not a crash.

Regarding restart level, I get a warning about missing mods even with your provided modlist, and restart mission always crashes if you have any missing mods in my experience. So if you've removed some mods since starting the campaign but haven't unbound them that could explain your crash.
Bullett00th

Post by Bullett00th »

This is the entirety of my logs folder, which one is the correct one then?

As for a missing mod - that's strange. But it most likely is unbind missing mods because it unbinds itself.

I've managed to get things to work relatively stable now after the full process of migration, but hope I don't encounter this issue again. Thank you very much for the persistence
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

I have no idea which of the log backups it'd be, since each time you launch the game it backs up the old one and starts a fresh Launch.log. Immediately following a crash the Launch.log should contain the crash. If that's what you sent me then I'm not sure what's going on, because that looks like a clean shutdown. Are you getting a crash dialog box and/or the "pure virtual" dialog? If not then it could be some weird situation where the game isn't truly crashing but it is just shutting itself down. I've never seen that before, though.

There were actually 5 or 6 mods listed as not being found, and unbind missing mods wasn't one of them.
Bullett00th

Post by Bullett00th »

tracktwo wrote:I have no idea which of the log backups it'd be, since each time you launch the game it backs up the old one and starts a fresh Launch.log. Immediately following a crash the Launch.log should contain the crash. If that's what you sent me then I'm not sure what's going on, because that looks like a clean shutdown. Are you getting a crash dialog box and/or the "pure virtual" dialog? If not then it could be some weird situation where the game isn't truly crashing but it is just shutting itself down. I've never seen that before, though.

There were actually 5 or 6 mods listed as not being found, and unbind missing mods wasn't one of them.
apparently it's a new log then because I've started a new game after posting the issue. and yeah I've been getting the pure virtual thingie, but sometimes I'd just alt+f4 the game because it kept not responding without giving any error messages. and yes I've tried waiting it out.

I guess none of this matters now because I'm just restarting the whole mission when I start getting routine reinforcements. I both loathe the new timer mechanic and fear facing a crash again.