2nd Scientist in Psi Chamber underperforming

Tuhalu

2nd Scientist in Psi Chamber underperforming

Post by Tuhalu »

In the patch notes, it states that the 2nd scientist in the psi chamber should reduce training times by an additional 50% for a total of 75% training time reduction. This does not seem to be the case.

In xwynns legendary campaign, the 1st scientist drops the time from 12 days to 6 days. The 2nd scientist only reports as 5 days.

In my own commander campaign, the 1st scientist drops the time from 10 days to 5 days. The 2nd scientist only reports as 4 days.
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Re: 2nd Scientist in Psi Chamber underperforming

Post by chrisb »

I've noticed this too. The code for this is all in vanilla, all we added was the second tube. Going to try and look into it some more and see if there's anything we can even do to make it perform better.
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

I should probably add that the problem seems to mostly be with training a rookie into a psi-operative. I haven't yet been able to verify how much it applies to later level ups (the first perk I took was very quick to train, so I couldn't really tell if it was giving the full reduction or not). I'll try to make a save where I can play with it a little on next level up.
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

It turns out the first scientist reduces the time by 50% and the second scientist reduces the remaining time by 33%. This looks exactly the same as how the Research Lab and Proving Grounds work. So rather than each Scientist halving the remaining time, each one increases the work done per hour by the same as the base amount.

The reason why the initial numbers for training a new psi-op look wrong is because everything is rounding up to the next day and somehow everything is reporting as taking longer than it should. For instance, on Commander it will report 11 days with no Scientists. This makes 1 Scientist = 6 days and 2 Scientist = 4 days. It you let a tiny bit of time pass (1 hour?) it's then reporting 10 days, 5 days and 4 days.
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

Tuhalu wrote:It turns out the first scientist reduces the time by 50% and the second scientist reduces the remaining time by 33%. This looks exactly the same as how the Research Lab and Proving Grounds work. So rather than each Scientist halving the remaining time, each one increases the work done per hour by the same as the base amount.

The reason why the initial numbers for training a new psi-op look wrong is because everything is rounding up to the next day and somehow everything is reporting as taking longer than it should. For instance, on Commander it will report 11 days with no Scientists. This makes 1 Scientist = 6 days and 2 Scientist = 4 days. It you let a tiny bit of time pass (1 hour?) it's then reporting 10 days, 5 days and 4 days.
We were speculating that was the case. I was going to do some testing with the time in hours mod and ramp it up to like 15 days to see more precision. Looks like it's still beneficial if you have the scientists to spare or just need an extra push.
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

Indeed. It's a pity its not actually 50%, but 33% becomes very practical if you go for a high level skill early. Ideally you could just fix the tooltip on the second psi-chamber and it would be perfect.