Interaction between officer's "Command" and assault's "Hit and Run" or "Close Encounters"

Omeletteville

Interaction between officer's "Command" and assault's "Hit and Run" or "Close Encounters"

Post by Omeletteville »

Both of the abilities "Hit and Run" and "Close Encounters" say that they are not usable the same turn as Run and Gun. However, if you activate Run and Gun with an assault, dash forward, and perform an action ending your turn, an officer can then use the "Command" ability on this assault. When the "Command" ability is used, the game seems to forget that the assault had previously used Run and Gun. If they have Hit and Run, a shot on a flanked target will not end their turn, and likewise if they have Close Encounters, a shot within the red circle will not end their turn.

This effectively allows an assault to Run and Gun up to a target and take 3 consecutive shots. I'm not sure if it's working as intended, but it's very powerful.
Daergar

Re: Interaction between officer's "Command" and assault's "Hit and Run" or "Close Encounters"

Post by Daergar »

The way I see it is that the Command resets the assault into getting one action with a clean slate, which obviously triggers what you describe.

I've actually not tested it thus far with a shinobi (will do that as soon as I can remember to do so) but I assume you'd get a second Whirlwind-move after the new slash/fleche attack if Commanded.

If not, then something is wrong.
Tuhalu

Re: Interaction between officer's "Command" and assault's "Hit and Run" or "Close Encounters"

Post by Tuhalu »

Pretty sure hit and run is a special effect. After you take a turn ending action (shoot, overwatch, hunker down, etc), the hit and run effect is immediately lost. When you give the command to restore an action point, you can't move and shoot yet again.

Close Encounters must be checking to see if the Hit and Run effect is currently on the character. Since it is not, Close Encounters can be performed.
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

This is fine. The intention is that Command gives you a regular action point and resets the rules for abilities. In this case the fact that RunNGun was used is actually forgotten after it is consumed. When you Command, the effects actually have no idea that RunNGun was triggered, hence why CE/HnR will proc normally.
Omeletteville

Post by Omeletteville »

Another interesting interaction that I noticed was that if Reaper is used, and the soldier fails to get a kill thus ending their turn, using command on that soldier will allow them to continue their reaper-spree. If they get a kill, they are able to take another action. So the same rule does not seem to apply to reaper; the game will forget that run and gun was used upon using command, but it will not forget about reaper.
Masterchef2

Post by Masterchef2 »

Omeletteville wrote:Another interesting interaction that I noticed was that if Reaper is used, and the soldier fails to get a kill thus ending their turn, using command on that soldier will allow them to continue their reaper-spree. If they get a kill, they are able to take another action. So the same rule does not seem to apply to reaper; the game will forget that run and gun was used upon using command, but it will not forget about reaper.
Now this strikes me as something that may actually be unintended and worth looking at.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

That does sound awfully inconsistent, and the behavior will depend on how the abilities were implemented, which doesn't seem right. We'll have to discuss with design (aka JL) about what the intent is here.
nmkaplan

Post by nmkaplan »

The Reaper thing seems like it's a bug, but honestly the interaction described in the OP doesn't seem that broken to me.

After all, an Assault with rapid fire can RnG, Rapid Fire, Command, Rapid Fire for FOUR shots without any questionable interactions.