Geo-map scanning bug

zljchris

Geo-map scanning bug

Post by zljchris »

Hi,

Here is what happened:

In save file 1, named 'before 2', everything was fine and I was about to unlock a new region.
While I was scanning, and the time was accelerating, one pip of Avatar progress happened to show up and this cause a series of problems.
Usually, when the animation shows you the pip of Avatar project, the time goes super slow. But because I was scanning a region, time still accelerate during the animation!
I'm not sure if time still accelerate after the region was unlocked, but I feel like I passed at least 10 days. (Avenger just went through a wormhole!). And because of this 10 days missing, the mission I queued up several days ago had effectively 10 extra days for infiltration.
So the result was that after that 'wormhole', all the missions that were queued up had 200% infiltration and immediately needed to be launched. In addition, several dark events completed without even showing me the countering mission, one pip of Avatar project was added for no reason, and one of my liberated region was invaded without the notice of the prerequisite missions, such as supply raid.

After beating several consecutive missions, I remember to make a save so I could show you guys how buggy it was.
In save file 2, named 'after 2', I believe there was an invasion mission and probably another two Guerrilla Ops that require immediate launch.

I don't wanna lose my campaign because of this ridiculous bug, so please fix it in the next patch.

PS: Oddly enough, although the mission on the ground seemed to pass 10 days, the research on the Avenger did not progress a single bit. This looks exactly like a wormhole travel! You travel through time and space without aging but everything on Earth ages rapidly!

PPS: This is a quite complicated bug to describe, given that English is not my first language. But if you need more details, I'm willing to provide more detail on this 'wormhole travel'!

Here are the links for the saves:
Before 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/24lbwkmwqe438 ... e%202?dl=0
After 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/spppuzxcgksrz ... r%202?dl=0
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Re: Geo-map scanning bug

Post by tracktwo »

Thanks for the report & the saves, but something seems to be wrong with those save files or my setup. I can't load them - they won't appear in my saved game list, either with the 'mid campaign language-changing' mod or by changing my game locale to CHN before starting. I've successfully used these methods to load non-english saves before, including I think CHN (but it may have been CHT). I have the same problem with your chain lightning saves too.
zljchris

Post by zljchris »

Hi tracktwo,

Sorry that the savefile didn't work. I tried to load them myself, and I couldn't get them loaded neither.
So I renamed the save files from 'before 2' and 'after 2' to 'save100' and 'save101' and this fixed the problem.

It seems the issue is not the language setting, rather the naming of the save files. The game won't recognize anything but 'saveXXX'.

I meant to show you the chronological order of the save files by renaming them, but I didn't know this would cause a problem.
Sorry for the inconvenience, but yea, you can still load them, if you change your language setting to Simplified Chinese.

I read my post again, and I realized that this scanning bug is probably a bug from vanilla, because none of the mechanics that triggers this bug was modified by LW2. So it's okay you guys couldn't fix it. Blame Firaxis. lul

PS: I realized that if I keep encountering bugs and filing bug reports like this, I should probably change my language to English so it's easier for everyone. I will do it if I have to file another bug report next time.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

Ah, yeah. I knew that, I have no idea why that didn't occur to me yesterday. And no worries about playing in non-English languages, there is a mod for that that makes it almost completely painless for me to debug saves from any language without needing to switch my game's language.

But unfortunately, I can't trigger the same sequence of events to get time to fail to stop advancing while the avatar animation occurs. Usually for those the very first thing it does is stop time acceleration, so some sequence of events must have interfered with that. But it's evidently very rare or people would be seeing this all the time. If you can reproduce the set of steps to make it happen again definitely let me know, but this seems like the kind of thing I could spend days on and make no progress.
zljchris

Post by zljchris »

Hi tracktwo,

Thanks for your time,
It was indeed quite coincidental that the avatar animation happened when I was scanning. If I have time tomorrow, then yes, I will try and see if I can reproduce the bug. Otherwise, like you said, it's such a rare bug that probably no one would ever encounter again, so it's fine.
(I'm the chosen one for this time travel! LOL)

Thanks a lot.