Config files question

Rodso

Config files question

Post by Rodso »

what config allows me to change the starting stats of solders like AIM or health.

i thought it might have been the character stats config but i dont see AIM in there at all
Amineri

Re: Config files question

Post by Amineri »

Starting stats are in XComGameData_CharacterStats. The stat you are looking for is

Code: Select all

eStat_Offense
Not aim.
Rodso

Post by Rodso »

Amineri wrote:Starting stats are in XComGameData_CharacterStats. The stat you are looking for is

eStat_Offense
Not aim.
oh thanks

ok so i was in the right file

[Soldier X2CharacterTemplate]
CharacterBaseStats[eStat_HP]
CharacterBaseStats[eStat_Will]
CharacterBaseStats[eStat_Dodge]
CharacterBaseStats[eStat_UtilityItems]
CharacterBaseStats[eStat_Mobility]
CharacterBaseStats[eStat_PsiOffense]

is that the right section ? cause i dont see any base offense line in there just PSioffense

edit: i assume the 1st few sections of it are for XCOM and there is one for each difficulty level as well?
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

Oh right, that's because we didn't change the starting aim/offense stat compared to base XCOM 2. Both XCOM 2 and LW2 have

CharacterBaseStats[eStat_Offense]=65
You can add this line, to either our config or to the DefaultGameData_CharacterStats.ini in the base XCOM 2 config folder. Either place would work.

If you wanted to get more advanced, you could create (or find) a mini mod that changes the soldier aim. It's a bit more work, but the advantage is that the config value wouldn't be overridden when we release a patch and that file gets updated.
Rodso

Post by Rodso »

Amineri wrote:Oh right, that's because we didn't change the starting aim/offense stat compared to base XCOM 2. Both XCOM 2 and LW2 have

CharacterBaseStats[eStat_Offense]=65
You can add this line, to either our config or to the DefaultGameData_CharacterStats.ini in the base XCOM 2 config folder. Either place would work.

If you wanted to get more advanced, you could create (or find) a mini mod that changes the soldier aim. It's a bit more work, but the advantage is that the config value wouldn't be overridden when we release a patch and that file gets updated.
ah thank you very much
Artazaar

Post by Artazaar »

Amineri wrote: If you wanted to get more advanced, you could create (or find) a mini mod that changes the soldier aim. It's a bit more work, but the advantage is that the config value wouldn't be overridden when we release a patch and that file gets updated.
Hello!

CharacterBaseStats[eStat_Offense]=65 - works fine

CharacterBaseStats[eStat_HP]=5 - not working at all

Can you explain why?
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

So now I have to talk about difficulty variants of templates, unfortunately.

If you look in the GameData.CharacterStats.ini, you'll see lines like this :

[Soldier_Diff_0 X2CharacterTemplate]
CharacterBaseStats[eStat_HP]=5

[Soldier_Diff_1 X2CharacterTemplate]
CharacterBaseStats[eStat_HP]=4
and so on.

The "_Diff_#" bit at the end is specifying a difficulty variant of the template. The game actually stores 4 different templates for Soldier, keyed off difficulty. Diff_0 is Rookie, Diff_1 is Veteran, so on. So you'd need to change it under the difficulty variant corresponding to the difficulty you are playing.

Finally, this won't affect soldiers that are already created. Creating a soldier copies the initial stats from the template into a separate gamestate, and it never reads from the template again. (It has to be this way, or your leveled up soldiers couldn't get better stats). Only new soldiers will see the new stats.
Artazaar

Post by Artazaar »

Amineri wrote:So now I have to talk about difficulty variants of templates, unfortunately.

If you look in the GameData.CharacterStats.ini, you'll see lines like this :

CharacterBaseStats[eStat_HP]=5

CharacterBaseStats[eStat_HP]=4
and so on.

The "_Diff_#" bit at the end is specifying a difficulty variant of the template. The game actually stores 4 different templates for Soldier, keyed off difficulty. Diff_0 is Rookie, Diff_1 is Veteran, so on. So you'd need to change it under the difficulty variant corresponding to the difficulty you are playing.

Finally, this won't affect soldiers that are already created. Creating a soldier copies the initial stats from the template into a separate gamestate, and it never reads from the template again. (It has to be this way, or your leveled up soldiers couldn't get better stats). Only new soldiers will see the new stats.
I know it. But, it still not works :)
To check - i always create a new game.
XComGameData_CharacterStats.ini

[XComGame.X2Character_DefaultCharacters]

[Soldier X2CharacterTemplate]
CharacterBaseStats[eStat_HP]=15

[Soldier_Diff_2 X2CharacterTemplate]

[Soldier_Diff_3 X2CharacterTemplate]
UPD: Without LW2 mod this works on any difficulty.
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

Could be from Not Created Equal? LW2 has some variance on soldier stats enabled by default, so you may be seeing some conflicts from that.
Artazaar

Post by Artazaar »

Arcalane wrote:Could be from Not Created Equal? LW2 has some variance on soldier stats enabled by default, so you may be seeing some conflicts from that.
When i turn it off - all soldiers gain 4 hp. Not 15.
CypherDivine

Post by CypherDivine »

Getting the same problem editing my soldiers stats in XComGameData_CharacterStats in the LW2 folder.
Stats won't change. I even edited XComLW_Toolbox and changed "bRandomizedInitialStatsEnabledAtStart=true" to false, but this setting does not save either. when starting a new LWgame "not created equally" is still on.
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

I'll try and look into this once I get this particular finicky code I've been trying wrangle settled down.
food

Post by food »

Seems like an on topic thread...

What would tighten the values in NCE for attribute ranges? It's a personal thing, but I hate negative defense and dodge scores and I'd like them not to fall below zero. I know it's in the toolbox.ini but I stare at it and stare at it, can't figure out how to make them not go negative. Tried capping the deltas at a min value of zero, but that doesn't seem to work
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

food wrote:Seems like an on topic thread...

What would tighten the values in NCE for attribute ranges? It's a personal thing, but I hate negative defense and dodge scores and I'd like them not to fall below zero. I know it's in the toolbox.ini but I stare at it and stare at it, can't figure out how to make them not go negative. Tried capping the deltas at a min value of zero, but that doesn't seem to work
Setting the mins in these lines to zero
+STAT_CAPS=(Stat=eStat_Defense, Min=-10, Max=10)
+STAT_CAPS=(Stat=eStat_Dodge, Min=-15, Max=20)

should do the trick. I can't answer why it isn't.

Note that allowing a max will mean the soldiers will trade other stats to build defense and dodge, so you'll end up with less aim, hp etc.
Artazaar

Post by Artazaar »

johnnylump wrote:
food wrote:Seems like an on topic thread...

Setting the mins in these lines to zero
+STAT_CAPS=(Stat=eStat_Defense, Min=-10, Max=10)
+STAT_CAPS=(Stat=eStat_Dodge, Min=-15, Max=20)

should do the trick. I can't answer why it isn't.

Note that allowing a max will mean the soldiers will trade other stats to build defense and dodge, so you'll end up with less aim, hp etc.
Its look like: "LW2 config is primiry. P-R-I-M-A-R-Y. I dont care about your changes. /r/n Best regards, XCOM2Engine" :D
food

Post by food »

When I set all the min values to zero on the deltas, it went all pearshaped. Like huge negative values and other weirdness. Limiting it to just defense and dodge worked.
Artazaar

Post by Artazaar »

food wrote:When I set all the min values to zero on the deltas, it went all pearshaped. Like huge negative values and other weirdness. Limiting it to just defense and dodge worked.
You just have not met a soldier with 0 hp :D
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

Amineri wrote:.....
I had been curious, and I suppose this confirms, any changes made to any of the config files in the LW2 mod WILL then be overwritten if a patch or update is released? So the best way to make persistent changes to any settings is a separate mod?

I've not yet tried creating a mod, tho I have downloaded the toolbox and looked at a bunch. The structure for creating a mod that simply edits the config files of the base game seem simple enough. How though would one create a mod to change another mod's settings? Is it the same, and then mod load order takes over? Or is there more to it?

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but this seemed relevant to the config files discussion.

Loving LW2 btw, really great addition to the game.
kairoradeus

Post by kairoradeus »

Something to note about changing the stats, you really, really have to make a new campaign, it cannot be changed mid-campaign without seeing anything change. I have been able to toy with soldier health but having trouble gaging wtf I am doing. Not sure how to prevent any negative value for dodge and defense. Sometimes I have a delta ranging around 0-5 and suddenly, I get a 81 aim soldier with -14 defense... I'd like to understand how the delta stats affect the base stat? Does it involve the code above the deltas, the up and down ones? Or is it is the max and min added in a random range delimited by the delta? XD Sorry for all the questions, I just really love modding my long war experience (modding a mod... WE ARE GING DEEP SON! *bwam bwabwaaabwaaam!)
Mandurang

Post by Mandurang »

Hey all, first things first, great work on the LW 2 mod, it's amazing.

This seems to be the most pertinent thread to ask this, as I'm loath to create a new one for a small thing.

My question is this: I absolutely hate randomized stats upon level-up. I'm fine with initial randomized stats (Not Created Equal), because in general I believe they are balanced because of the buy system - but I hate the inequality that results from random level up rolls. How do I turn those off?

I've found the following lines in the XComLW_Toolbox.ini:

;set of stats that will be randomized when soldier levels
+RANDOMIZED_LEVELUP_STATS=eStat_Offense
+RANDOMIZED_LEVELUP_STATS=eStat_Hacking
+RANDOMIZED_LEVELUP_STATS=eStat_Will
+RANDOMIZED_LEVELUP_STATS=eStat_HP
+RANDOMIZED_LEVELUP_STATS=eStat_Strength
+RANDOMIZED_LEVELUP_STATS=eStat_PsiOffense
I guess disabling those would do the trick? Do I just turn the '+' into a '-', or what?
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

The Options menu has three special LW2-specific entries that are only loaded during a game due to some Weird Engine Stuff or something. If you start a campaign/load a save, you can disable them and they shouldn't apply to your next game.
Mandurang

Post by Mandurang »

Mandurang wrote:Hey all, first things first, great work on the LW 2 mod, it's amazing.

This seems to be the most pertinent thread to ask this, as I'm loath to create a new one for a small thing.

My question is this: I absolutely hate randomized stats upon level-up. I'm fine with initial randomized stats (Not Created Equal), because in general I believe they are balanced because of the buy system - but I hate the inequality that results from random level up rolls. How do I turn those off?

I guess disabling those would do the trick? Do I just turn the '+' into a '-', or what?
Hi again, any takers on this? Thanks either way.
JLtheking

Post by JLtheking »

Mandurang wrote:
Mandurang wrote:Hey all, first things first, great work on the LW 2 mod, it's amazing.

Hi again, any takers on this? Thanks either way.
Erm... The devs can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there are two options in the LW2 specific menu, Not Created Equally and Hidden Potential.

I believe those settings in question only apply when Hidden Potential is applied?
Orow

Post by Orow »

I changed my offense min to -2 and max I left at 10 but I only ever get rookies with aim ranges from 63-65.
boy_cad

Post by boy_cad »

We are still interested in this.

Theres a few different flavours being requested, but they are all about controlling the variability of randomized base stats in one way or another. What is strange is that nobody seems to be having much success finding their particular type of control. Ive mucked about with the .ini eStat values as well, but the improved variability hasnt been seen yet. It might be the trade-off mechanic which is complicating things.

But increased or configurable base variability through Not Created Equally would be good fun, so long as the resulting stats arent complete nonsense. Its always nice to see what a new rookie has on their stat sheet, but so far those sheets are coming out a little too bland.

When I think about it, it would be quite a challenge to design statistically.