Squad deployment UI

This is to elevate certain bug reports so Long War 2 developers can interact with players.
Ichiya

Squad deployment UI

Post by Ichiya »

Version: Long war 1.1
Platform: Windows 10
Mods: I noticed it first with mods, ran through troubleshooting, removed every mod except long war, ran through it again and still had the problem, so this shouldn't be the cause.

When I try to send a squad and want to add a soldier for one reason or another, the UI disappears entirely, the escape menu doesn't pop up and it is impossible to go out of this screen once you have it, forcing you to alt tab and close the game that way.

Screenshot:Image
The game is stuck like this, after I pressed select soldier on an empty soldier spot

Additional notes: I noticed this bug come up yesterday, just after the 1.1 update, and because steam workshop doesn't allow me to roll back to a previous mod version, I'm inclined to belief that the bug is in this update.

thanks in advance!

Edit: I forgot to mention that it happens on every save, I've made 4 saves, all of them had this bug, I play on normal difficulty, no ironman mode with beginner VO reduced and subtitles on.
JamesBiggles

Re: Squad deployment UI

Post by JamesBiggles »

I'm also seeing this problem, exactly as Ichiya described. It definitely only started after the 1.1 update.

I have one piece of information to add to this report:
The bug also occurs when the Personal Combat Sims tab for a soldier is clicked (from either the squad deployment screen or the Armory soldier management screen).
Caerus

Post by Caerus »

I have same thing happening to me.

Version: 1.1 (pretty sure it started happening right after update)
Platform: Win7; Modded and played on Steam
Mods: Gotcha!, Additional Icons

Description:
Whenever I try to add a new squad-mate in mission select screen the UI disappears (or rather list of available soldiers does not appear).
(New here, no idea how to add screenshots, but the same thing as in post above).

Maybe related:
At the same time as this problem started I have also noticed that if I check Soldier Abilities in Armory there are only two columns for skills as in vanilla game (Only standard abilities, AWC is working as should)

My tries to remove the issue:
- I have removed (not just turn off) all mods expect LW2 - no success
- I have removed and reapplied LW2 mod - no success
- I have reinstalled the game and reapplied LW2 mod - no success
- Removing files from config folder as described in post about bug reporting
http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... 17&t=23385
After this the game crash on launch so I restored the files from backup

Current workaround:
After I decide who to take on the mission, I just create a squad with those soldiers, as selecting whole squad is working (annoying workaround but working).

I would appreciate any help with this as even google is silent on this :)
Moltrin

Post by Moltrin »

Ditto

Exactly the same problem...

Playing on one about 'standard' difficulty
Ichiya

Post by Ichiya »

I had the chance today to go through the logs and found some interesting errors.

Code: Select all

[0082.10] Warning: SpawnActor failed because class UIPersonnel_SquadSelect_LW is deprecated
[0082.10] ScriptWarning: Accessed None 'kPersonnelList'
	XComHQPresentationLayer Avenger_Root.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.XComHQPresentationLayer_0
	Function XComGame.XComHQPresentationLayer:UIPersonnel_SquadSelect:005B
	XComHQPresentationLayer Avenger_Root.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.XComHQPresentationLayer_0
	Function XComGame.XComHQPresentationLayer:UIPersonnel_SquadSelect:0083
[0082.10] ScriptWarning: Attempt to assign variable through None
	Function XComGame.XComHQPresentationLayer:UIPersonnel_SquadSelect:0097
	Function XComGame.XComHQPresentationLayer:UIPersonnel_SquadSelect:00AB
[0082.10] ScriptWarning: Attempt to assign variable through None
	Function XComGame.XComHQPresentationLayer:UIPersonnel_SquadSelect:00BF
[0082.10] ScriptWarning: Accessed None 'Screen'
	UIScreenStack Avenger_Root.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.XComHQPresentationLayer_0.UIScreenStack_1
	Function XComGame.UIScreenStack:Push:00D2
[0082.10] ScriptWarning: Accessed None 'Screens'
	UIScreenStack Avenger_Root.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.XComHQPresentationLayer_0.UIScreenStack_1
	Function XComGame.UIScreenStack:GetScreen:0044
it starts with these lines and repeats the last scriptWarning around 20-40 times per second, sometimes it doesn't do it for a second and it throws this in occasionally

[0082.10] ScriptWarning: Accessed None 'Screens'
	Function XComGame.UIScreenStack:GetCurrentClass:001D
It has done this every time I've tested and it repeats itself until I crash the game.

I've uploaded the log with only long war 2 enabled so you guys can see for yourself:

https://hubkaho-my.sharepoint.com/perso ... 2kPTUPHMDI
moony47

Post by moony47 »

I have the exact same problem and it is extremely annoying

Please fix this soon. :(
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

So I've tried, but am totally unable to replicate this situation. None of our internal testers have reported this either.
Caerus wrote:Maybe related:
At the same time as this problem started I have also noticed that if I check Soldier Abilities in Armory there are only two columns for skills as in vanilla game (Only standard abilities, AWC is working as should)
This indicates that the new Armory_MainMenu isn't functioning. We made this part of the XComGame.upk replacement, and it allows more room for buttons in the main menu, as well as better controls for DLC/Mods to insert additional buttons. The expanded perk tree is accessed from this by replacing the "Soldier Abilities" button callback to initialize the new expanded promotion UIScreen. If this isn't working, then you'd see this situation as a result.

This seems to indicate a failure of the game to load the XComGame.upk replacement, which would cause a wide variety of glitches, this one included, but also the replacement of the SquadSelect UIScreen.
Ichiya wrote:

Warning: SpawnActor failed because class UIPersonnel_SquadSelect_LW is deprecated
This class is deprecated, by design. This was part of our effort to reduce the number of class overrides in the mod (v 1.1 has almost none). This was originally introduced with the standalone Toolbox mod as a class overrided, adding a new trigger to allow DLC/Mods to override the disabled status for units when selecting squad members (e.g. disallowing Haven Advisors or units that are actively infiltrating another mission).

The override was removed as part of the 1.1 patch, and the new TriggerEvent hook was added into XComGame.upk replacement. In no case should the current code ever spawn this deprecated class (I just did another complete search of the mod code and there is no case in which it can spawn).

The most likely culprit I can think of here is that somehow your XComEngine.ini is out-of-date and still is trying to override class'UIPersonnel_SquadSelect' with the deprecated class'UIPersonnel_SquadSelect_LW'.
Ichiya

Post by Ichiya »

Alright, will try to delete the engine.ini again (did that already as part of troubleshooting) , I've got it working on my laptop (exactly the same game (copied from the main rig)) but I didn't copy the mod with it, so I will also try to redownload the mod, if that doesn't work I'm just gonna clone files from the laptop to the main rig and see if that works.

Anyways, thank you that you were willing to look into it!
SpringROLZ

Post by SpringROLZ »

I'm also having the same issue and I'm not sure whats going on. I've managed to circumvent the issue by creating squads and then loading them directly but its honestly annoying to do so instead of just editing the squad right there. If anyone has a fix please help.
moony47

Post by moony47 »

I did manage to fix my game by deleting the .ini files in xcomgame/config and then verifying the whole thing.
Not sure why it worked but it did.
Caerus

Post by Caerus »

I was finally able to fix all UI screen issue thanks to your help guys.

In the end these steps did it for me:
1: Delete all files from all config folders (It was not enough for me to remove main game configs, it did not work until I deleted DLC configs as well)
2: Verify game files in steam (XCOM2->Properties->Local Files->Verify integrity)
3: I downloaded Long War 2 1.1 zip from nexus and copied mod config folder to my installation folder (XCOM 2\XComGame\Mods\LW_Overhaul\Config)

And behold... on my next run, everything was working, the soldier abilities, PCS and of course pre-mission soldier selection.
Honestly the 3rd step might have been unnecessary but once I started I went all-in so... hard to say (I just know the 3rd step is not enough by itself).
I do not have a clue why full reinstall did not work looking at this, but who knows...

So once again, thanks guys, now I can continue to get frustrated by the aliens instead of UI :)
SpringROLZ

Post by SpringROLZ »

Just tried the method mentioned by Caerus and I've still got no luck. I guess for the most part I wasn't meant to play Long War 2 without the UI glitch, Although I can circumvent this issue through "squad selection" its still annoying. Guess you can't always have the best of both worlds. If anyone has anymore ideas then please share otherwise I'm just gonna settle with the glitches I've got and pray more don't arrive.
luxollidd

Post by luxollidd »

can confirm the problem still persist in 1.2

was playing 1.0, no problem. even beat the game flawlessly (save for some other bugs like no incendiary bombs and whatnot).

updated to 1.1, problem started. tinkered around but failed. stopped playing.
updated to 1.2, still happens

and yes, i only use LW2 mod alone.

strange thing tho, in 1.1, deleting the config folder works temporarily. i can view the squad ui for that session only. if i exit the game, i'm gonna have to re-delete the folder

however in 1.2, the temporary fix doesn't work anymore. the only thing i can do is to manually modify my squad before deploying on each mission :(
sarge945

Post by sarge945 »

I'm no expert, but if it's breaking again after one session, that sounds to me like it could be a steam cloud bug. I don't even know if xcom 2 has steam cloud support, but if it does, you might want to disable it