The Passage of Stars?

Only forum users with a previously approved post may post. Keep it family friendly.
cyanit

The Passage of Stars?

Post by cyanit »

Since this is Off-topic I'd like to ask JohnnyLump if the third Human Reach book is still actively in the works or if it's put on ice for Terra Invicta.
(That's what I'm assuming but it doesn't hurt to ask ;) )

I bought "Through Struggle, the Stars" after reading on it on /r/xcom (it was mentioned in a thread about how to support the LW devs IIRC) and I absolutely loved it!

On thehumanreach.net it just says that the tentative name for the third book is "The Passage of Stars" but other that that I didn't find much info about it, so I'm asking here :) .
Tanalbi
Long War EU Crew

Re: The Passage of Stars?

Post by Tanalbi »

I wrote a novel too! But it's on Spanish, i nearly have no time to translate it xS
"The prefect true curves of a woman are her smile"
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Thanks for your interest. I'm still going to write it ... trick is finding time. It's plotted out and I've put a few words down, but this video game thing is taking up a lot of my time these days. It'll happen, just not in very near future.
nick_abbott

Post by nick_abbott »

johnnylump wrote:Thanks for your interest. I'm still going to write it ... trick is finding time. It's plotted out and I've put a few words down, but this video game thing is taking up a lot of my time these days. It'll happen, just not in very near future.
A novel about XCOM sounds like something that I would like to read. There are already two of them written? It sounds like I have a couple of books to find.

Here is what I have found with a quick search. http://www.thehumanreach.net/ Is this the setting for Terra Invicta? I plan to order both of these a bit later on this morning.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Yes, that's my web site for the novels. I should be clear they aren't X-Com/alien invasion stories.

Terra Invicta will be its own setting, not the Human Reach setting.

Thank you for giving them a look!
nick_abbott

Post by nick_abbott »

johnnylump wrote:Yes, that's my web site for the novels. I should be clear they aren't X-Com/alien invasion stories.

Terra Invicta will be its own setting, not the Human Reach setting.

Thank you for giving them a look!
Yes, I am aware that the setting is not XCOM but I enjoy many different Sci-Fi settings in literature. The description about the constructed wormholes and countries building and settling colonies sounds pretty enticing. The "Human Reach" sounds like an interesting setting, I am looking forward to reading them. They should arrive next Monday :)
nick_abbott

Post by nick_abbott »

Both books arrived when scheduled and I was pleased with both. They are of good quality and I think that they are both titled interestingly. At the moment I have two books going Panzer Leader II and Life in a Medieval Castle. My two new sci-fi titles are next on my reading list. I am looking forward to reading them both. I enjoyed the back page information John, having drinks with both Donald Rumsfeld and Steve-O. You may be right about being the only guy to have done both! :)
nick_abbott

Post by nick_abbott »

I finally found the time to start reading Johnny's novel "Through struggle the stars" I was instantly struck by how easy the book is to read. And I mean "instantly". It took maybe a page or two and I began to think that this is a real nice comfortable writing style. By the time I was through reading the Prologue I was hooked on the story. I am only into the book maybe a hundred pages and I am having a real good time with the story. Well done Johnny!
nick_abbott

Post by nick_abbott »

A note to say that I found the novel "Through struggle the stars" a very entertaining read. The story is interesting and the book left me eager to begin the next novel "The desert of stars". With my extremely limited free time it takes me a longtime to read and finish a book, I have to carefully choose what I dedicate my free time to. I am excited about the next book in the series as I found the near future science fiction in the first book interesting and believable, traits a good story possesses which always has a way of grabbing and holding my attention. I am looking forward to reading the next one.
Flanker_27

Post by Flanker_27 »

Damn, I don't have a Kindle, and Amazon won't send to the country I live in :( is there any other way to order these books? Because the premise sounds fantastic!
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Thanks for your interest. The only way to get a paperback is via Amazon (the novel is on their print-on-demand service), but you can get digital versions in several formats on this site:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/search ... hn+lumpkin

Various e-readers have PC and Android versions of their software, as well.
Flanker_27

Post by Flanker_27 »

Thanks, that's awesome! I'm more of a paperback person, but an interesting book stays interesting no matter what the support is.
Plus, I've spent the last couple hours going through this commercial real estate in Munich for my company although it's Saturday and it's not even my job, so I do need something to heal my soul and brain after that... Working for small companies is great because you know everyone and don't feel like a small cog in a huge machine, but instead you have to be the main gear, the anti-reverse lever and at least 3 different transmission belts in a smaller machine at the same time :lol:
nick_abbott

Post by nick_abbott »

I am looking forward to reading the third novel in "The Passage of Stars" series, I enjoyed the first two books very much. I also noticed the other day that there was a C. Lumpkin among the crew of the CSA Hunley which reminded me to come post about finishing the second book in your series. I hope things are progressing well for you Johnnylump, nice work on your books, thanks for the good read.