[Glitch] Pistols not showing up, weapons being switched(?)

Stroggus

Re: [Glitch] Pistols not showing up, weapons being switched(?)

Post by Stroggus »

Zyrrashijn wrote:Stroggus: Are you using any pistol-themed mods?
Nah, couple cosmetic ones and standard QOL mods (evac all. flank preview, perfect i, show health and stop waisting my time)
Alketi

Post by Alketi »

tracktwo wrote:So, I've tracked down the problem and it seems reproducible only if you have Overwatch All enabled. I'm not sure what in particular in that mod causes the bug, or what weird interaction between it and LW2 does.
I do have Overwatch All enabled and I am seeing the disappearing pistol problem.

Interestingly, I recently moved my Mag Pistol to the first/top utility slot and was able to see the pistol for the first time. However, if I recall correctly, the pistol was visible during Fan Fire, but was invisible during Faceoff (both during the same mission)! Very bizarre.

I'm using pistols on an Assault, btw. For those who've never had the problem, are you using them on a Sharpshooter? I wonder if there's some interaction due to the fact that pistols were only available on Sharpshooters in vanilla, and now they're conflicting with the presence of different weapons (shotguns, etc.)?
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

Stroggus wrote:
Zyrrashijn wrote:Stroggus: Are you using any pistol-themed mods?
Nah, couple cosmetic ones and standard QOL mods (evac all. flank preview, perfect i, show health and stop waisting my time)
I don't believe it's anything intrinsic to Overwatch All that causes this, it's more of a side-effect of how it's implemented. Other mods implemented in the same way could cause the same problem. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what is going wrong to see if I can fix it on this end, but the way some of these mods are implemented, including Overwatch All and early versions of Evac All (but not the latest one) violate some assumptions the game has about how missions begin.
Delta1262 Scorch

Post by Delta1262 Scorch »

Also had this glitch, had no OverwatchAll mod, but had EvacAll, and that was the problem. Updated it to the last version and Pistols came back.

But what i noticed - standard swords sheath has the same glitch, from the mission start there is no sheath on the soldiers back, but if you're loading during the mission - it appears. And what's more interesting - that one isn't the mods conflict, because i've tested it with only LW2, in the new game and with all the config/saves directories cleaned.

//At least not all the textures glitches make thing disappear, the one with the smoke grenades - on the contrary adds texture on all the soldiers, on the belt from the left side, even if they don't have smoke grenade, or any grenade or even any equipment in the utility slots at all. And when they have grenade - it's shown in the same place inside of the smoke-one, so textures are mixing into a weird stuff. :)
deaconivory
Long War 2 Crew

Post by deaconivory »

Robojumper provided me with a some insight on this bug over the weekend, and sent me a list of mods that he has noticed can cause the bug:

Overwatch All
Steady Weapon
Configurable Protect Device
LOS Preview
Squad Cohesion
Hostile Territory
Grimy's Attrition Mode
Squad Notoriety
The MOCX Initiative

Quoting RJ, "For some reason, it's handled by mods that add game states while the start state is not finished. Overwatch all is such an example: it adds the overwatch all ability to the soldiers when the UI inits, which is in the middle of the start state. We haven't found why it behaves like this..."

The takeaway is that adding mods such as these could cause the issue, if you really hate the break in immersion, it's probably best to run fewer mods. But, knowing specifically which ones cause it is most likely a moving target.
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

Well.. out of that very short list -- i only use ONE.. Overwatch All.
And i do have that Invisible-Pistol bug.

Soooooo -- that narrows down the possible guilty mod by a 100% margin in my case, AFAIC.

Much bigger question is -- Can it be fixed though?
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

I believe we can possibly fix it on our end. There is something very specific to the pistols that causes this, it doesn't affect any other items that I'm aware of. I did spend some time debugging this between 1.2 and 1.3, but I didn't make a whole lot of progress and this ended up getting bumped down the priority list compared to other features & bug fixes. It's still way down on my list compared to other bugs, so I don't know when I'll get around to it again, but it is still on the list.
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

Could it be an indirect flaw caused by WHAT now determines which weapons type these Pistols are & the fact that they have to occupy utility slots?

These invisibilty gimmicks never happened in vanilla... which points at a LW2 (and/or Mod conflict) feature.

Another aspect to consider in your search for some other hints (if need be) would be the Holo-Targeter & Arc-Thrower principles that makes them Hand-drawn devices also, yet as properly declared secondary weapons -- but they both STILL show up correctly.
Firestorm_01

Post by Firestorm_01 »

Based on my personal experience and threads observation it is Overwatch All for sure. Disable it.
Kyrsoh

Post by Kyrsoh »

I do not use Overwatch All and Evac All but I still have this problem. When I start a mission, all of my pistols disappear from the side of the soldiers. They use these invisible guns during the fight.
If I save and reload the game, all weapons are apeearing and functioning as normal.
Any ideas?
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

Zyxpsilon wrote:Could it be an indirect flaw caused by WHAT now determines which weapons type these Pistols are & the fact that they have to occupy utility slots?
I believe it's either this or the change to put the pistol in a different socket on the unit pawns. I just don't know how the extra game state added by these mods is interfering with the soldier's pawn, while not interfering with anything else.
Kyrsoh wrote:I do not use Overwatch All and Evac All but I still have this problem. When I start a mission, all of my pistols disappear from the side of the soldiers. They use these invisible guns during the fight.
DeaconIvory posted a larger list of mods above that RoboJumper scanned and found would have this problem as well. There are possibly more as well that aren't in this list.
Kyrsoh

Post by Kyrsoh »

tracktwo wrote:DeaconIvory posted a larger list of mods above that RoboJumper scanned and found would have this problem as well. There are possibly more as well that aren't in this list.
Thanks, I watched this post but I do not use any of these mods as well...
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

I finally found the bug causing this today and fixed it. I still do not completely understand why the bug occurs only when a mod such as overwatch all is active, because it honestly looks like it should be bugged always. I did manage to repro it with a debug build yesterday without overwatch all, but then it "fixed" itself again after I rebuilt the mod again. So it looks like it's possble to trigger even without mods that inject new start states, but those mods are basically 100% reliable at triggering the bug and most people won't ever see it without them.

At any rate, will be fixed in 1.5. Fun fact: it was a vanilla bug fixed in the patch that came with the Alien Hunters DLC. The code we had for pistols copied the bug, and the copy didn't get fixed in the patch, which is why it applies only to pistols.
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

Great work, TT!
We'll finally get to see those gimmicky multi "Face-Off" rampages when using the coolest of 'hem all -- Coil-Pistol. ;)
Kyrsoh

Post by Kyrsoh »

Thank you tracktwo! I like pistols - and I like to see what I like.
nmkaplan

Post by nmkaplan »

tracktwo wrote:At any rate, will be fixed in 1.5. Fun fact: it was a vanilla bug fixed in the patch that came with the Alien Hunters DLC. The code we had for pistols copied the bug, and the copy didn't get fixed in the patch, which is why it applies only to pistols.
This is such great news! It must feel great to finally fix a bug that has 15 pages of thread behind it. Do you mind saying whether 1.5 will be a relatively quick release with quick-fixes for a few issues, as 1.4 was? Or do you have something bigger in mind that will take more time to hammer out?
Alketi

Post by Alketi »

tracktwo wrote:I finally found the bug causing this today and fixed it.
Fantastic!! Great work and thank you for sticking with it! <3
NephilimNexus

Post by NephilimNexus »

First, apologies for the necro, but I do have something to add to this:

Indeed the problem is caused by the code in the Alien Hunters DLC and is a vanilla bug. For those who simply cannot wait for 1.5 to be finished, you can always simply deactivate the Alien Hunters DLC in Steam. This will mostly fix the bug. Your pistols will show up again, their invisibility cured. However, the issue of the mystery flashbang model being added to every soldier's belt will still persist.

But you will get your pistols back. ;)