1,514 hours of LW...

For general discussion about XCOM: Long War
Stark

1,514 hours of LW...

Post by Stark »

Still yet to build a Mech.

I don't know about you guys, but I hate reaching that part of the game where you are faced with the decision to mutilate, And augment your beloved soldiers who bled with you from day-one, just to get an edge in combat. It just doesn't seem right.

How dare I request this of my men! Some will never be able to have children. They will no longer be able to feel the warmth of one-another's touch, And the magic that is love-making. I am not God! My men are not "test subjects" They are warriors! They are the Elite!

When the war is over, How do I expect my brothers and sisters of steel to face the grim reality, that they are essentially no more than the twisted abomination we have been fighting all this time.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. Anyone else struggle with this ?
notasquaddie

Re: 1,514 hours of LW...

Post by notasquaddie »

Tell them it's either that or they get the original xcom soldier haircut.

The choice will be easy.
Stark

Post by Stark »

Haha! Good one!
szmind
Long War EU Crew

Post by szmind »

Heh, I felt the same. I went on with a rule that I augment critically hit soldiers - like in Robocop: "we had to do it, to save your life :)"
Stark

Post by Stark »

szmind wrote:Heh, I felt the same. I went on with a rule that I augment critically hit soldiers - like in Robocop: "we had to do it, to save your life :)"
That's actually quite an interesting take on it, I like that! If only the role playing part of my brain knew that the rules of the game could be bent but not broken. :S

But maybe you are right, Maybe it is better for a battle-hardened soldier to become a walking-nightmare rather than to have his or her will broken forever. Maybe war is all they know now .. :?:
LouisdeFuines

Post by LouisdeFuines »

I didn`t like this either.

But it reminds me, in Syndicae (Bullfrog), it was exactly the same. Worse, you could see, how the cut of the body parts.
JM01

Post by JM01 »

The way I understood it the soldiers were not forced to do this, they actually agreed to go through the process because they were being selfless in giving up their limbs for the good of mankind. To give XCOM a much needed advantage during a time of huge crisis.

I understand why people feel the way they do but in a situation like the one in XCOM, it actually is a method worth considering because it's either that or make your fight against a very powerful alien threat MUCH harder without the power a mech brings and be much more likely to lose the fight (though I guess since XCOM 2 exists we already know that humans lost anyway :P but you get my point).