The difference between challenging and frustrating

For general discussion about XCOM: Long War
jsprenkle

The difference between challenging and frustrating

Post by jsprenkle »

... is when I understand why I failed.

On my first game I'm just getting ground into the dirt. I can't build anything, I don't get enough intel or supplies to improve things either. I don't know what else I could do to get more. I'm just getting discouraged and frustrated.

LW seems to be more simulation and less fun. I want a simulation if I'm modeling the weather or orbital mechanics but it's not "fun."
Games are supposed to be fun. Please don't loose track of the goal or at least tell us this is a simulation not a game up front.

I'm supposed to find a 'clue' about the Avatar project but have no idea what it is where to find it. How about some clues about the clues?

I use the maximum squad size that the infiltration calculations say won't add extra time. The aliens field three times as many units and they're much better equipped. They teleport (purple flash) in behind me when I'm already outnumbered two to one. How about telling me when I'm vastly outnumbered and should decline a mission?

The timed missions are awful and LW seems to add MORE of them instead of less. They're unrealistic and annoying. If I'm vastly outnumbered by aliens I can't grind through soldiers like there's an infinite supply. There isn't and I couldn't afford them even if there were. I have to move slowly and carefully to preserve the minimal assets a guerrilla group could assemble. These missions force me to run through traps and just take the losses to beat an arbitrary clock. I don't want to play the way the devs think I should play. Let me find my own way to have fun.

"PCS" isn't explained at all that I can see. I have mods but can't use them.

I like a lot of the things you've done. Shotguns are now worthwhile. Shooting through obstacles is much improved.
The infiltration idea is nifty. I do like the ability to buy infiltration with intel. That said I don't think Long War is ready
for public consumption. I'm not frustrated enough that I won't try again but it probably won't be soon
szmind
Long War EU Crew

Re: The difference between challenging and frustrating

Post by szmind »

If you play on Normal as recommended, you just need to be more patient. The campaign will easily take some 20 months - not 6-7 like in vanilla. Aliens have some 60-65 aim so they have only 15-20% chance to high if you are in high cover. You want to say you have trouble with them? Use flash grenades! Do not rush with satellites. You can make money sellig corpses. There will be lots of those :) Step by step - this is Loooong war.