how to make squad size upgrade also take effect on covert extraction mission

For general discussion about XCOM: Long War
SamXjones

how to make squad size upgrade also take effect on covert extraction mission

Post by SamXjones »

As titled.

I am sorry I am so unskillful in XCOM Longwar. Although I am okay(-ish) for bringing only 6 men in the early game and manage the economy to get the upgrade very quickly, but I find it very problematic when I can only bring 4 men (+ the covert op) for the covert extraction mission regardless of any squad size upgrade.

I don't want to pick the second wave option "We are Legion" just for that because it makes other mission (especially in early game stage) a lot easier, and saving me money on these upgrade make the game even easier. However, if I don't pick the option, I will have to face a lot of hard covert extraction mission every now and then, without additional option to make a balance in between.

Can anyone help me spot out the way to modify this setting in .ini file, so I can make squad size upgrade also take effect on covert extraction mission, please? Many thanks~
szmind
Long War EU Crew

Re: how to make squad size upgrade also take effect on covert extraction mission

Post by szmind »

There is no way :) Neither OTS nor We are legion will help. Tweaking ini is no option either. As description says - there are only 4 places in the Skyranger, because additional fuel is required and you can do nothing against it. Extraction should be 'extration' - quickly get the job done with your agent and get out of there. Bring lots of flash bangs and smoke for protection. Your objective IS NOT killing all Exalt. This is only optional.

I felt satisfied enough if all 5 soldiers came home. Maybe once, just once did I manage to eliminate all Exalt on extraction (good map, early month, lucky spawn).

Choose agents carefully. Assaults are great for their Run and Gun which allows for chain-disabling of Exalt. Also scouts for their speed and Lightning Reflexes = flexibility in mobility. Compose your squad focusing on protection (engineer, overwatch infantry, overwatch gunner, sniper - later MEC to draw fire or psionic with shadow device).
Lemaign

Re: how to make squad size upgrade also take effect on covert extraction mission

Post by Lemaign »

I just made you a mod to change the number of soldiers you can bring to Extractions. Keep in mind that Squadsize upgrades don't work on the mission. So either you change it by hand or find who is willing to modify more than just one number.

Code: Select all

DESCRIPTION=Let's you set the number of soldiers for Extractions

// Author: Lemaign
UPK_FILE=XComStrategyGame.upk

ALIAS=SOLDIER_NUM: 06 //The number of soldiers you wanna bring in HEX. Max 0C (0A when playing with We are Legion)

OBJECT=XGShip_Dropship.GetCapacity

REL_OFFSET=0x249
MODDED_CODE=<!SOLDIER_NUM>
EDIT:
Do you want to bring 4 soldiers + 1 per Squadsize upgrade? Because that might be easier than I thought.

EDIT2:

DID NOT WORK
EDIT3:
Ok this doesn't work because I suck HEX editing. But the first one works, it's just a bit inelegant.

EDIT4:
I did it.

DESCRIPTION=Makes Squadsize upgrades work on Extractions. Also let's you bring up to 6 soldiers without any Squadsize bought.

// Author: Lemaign
UPK_FILE=XComStrategyGame.upk

ALIAS=SOLDIER_NUM: 02 //This number will be subtracted from your usual squadsize. Number needs to be in HEX.

OBJECT=XGShip_Dropship.GetCapacity

REL_OFFSET=0x242
MODDED_CODE=A2
REL_OFFSET=0x249
MODDED_CODE=<!SOLDIER_NUM>

[BEFORE_HEX]
07 42 03 1B 41 18 00 00 00 00 00 00 24 19 16

[AFTER_HEX]
16 07 42 03 28 0B 0B 0B 0B 0B 0B 0B 0B 0B 0B
This will make Squadsize upgrades work on Extractions. So you get 4-6 soldiers. If you want to bring 6-8 you need to edit the value of SOLDIER_NUM to 00.
szmind
Long War EU Crew

Post by szmind »

Lemaign wrote:I just made you a mod to change the number of soldiers you can bring to Extractions....
You are a giant Lemaign :)
SamXjones

Post by SamXjones »

Lemaign wrote:I just made you a mod to change the number of soldiers you can bring to Extractions.
Holy molly :o , thank you very much, sir. Your work is marvellous, spectacular, superb.

But... But, as one problem solved, other problems arise.

First I don't have Hex editor and don't know how to use it, but this one I can handle, I can download it and learn 8-) ;
Second, I am not very sure where should I add/ modify the codes. Due to my incapability of programming, I am assuming that the code has to be added into XComStrategyGame.upk with HEX editor, am I right? :?:
szmind
Long War EU Crew

Post by szmind »

SamXjones wrote: First I don't have Hex editor and don't know how to use it, but this one I can handle, I can download it and learn 8-) ;
You need a small tool called PatcherGUI. Just google it. The code is written to be used with this tool.
Lemaign

Post by Lemaign »

Just install one of those mods. The first one just let's you pick a number and you get that number of soldiers on every Extraction mission. Default setting is 6. You can change it by changing the number behind 'ALIAS=SOLDIER_NUM:'. The second one makes squadsize work. 'ALIAS=SOLDIER_NUM:' is how many fewer soldiers you want to bring compared to normal mission. Default is 2 fewer so you get 4 without squadsize and one more per squadsize upgrade you have,
rift

Post by rift »

If you need more soldiers, you're not playing extractions missions correctly. I rarely need all 4 units, and I don't recall using them to actually fight the exalt. You're not supposed to fight them on these missions. The only reason I fill all 4 slots is to get a little XP, but other than that I just hide all of them from exalt, waiting for the mission to end. I take at least one scout, in case I need to run some OW before the operative makes the final run for the LZ, and some smokes, shadow, if available. Snipers are also useful to kill exalt from the LZ without giving away your location.

As to the operative - the best is a Sprinter RnG assault with muscle fiber density, carrying only a motion tracker, and nothing else to keep him light and fast. He needs to run from node to node, that's it.

I finish most extractions in 4-5 turns without giving the exalt any shots on my operative.