Opening stuff.

For general discussion about XCOM: Long War
Tanalbi
Long War EU Crew

Opening stuff.

Post by Tanalbi »

Congratulations to everyone on this forum!

Here is my first post and discussion:

This mod is so popular, it should be released on Steam also. What do you guys think?
"The prefect true curves of a woman are her smile"
Mundovore

Re: Opening stuff.

Post by Mundovore »

Don't think Long War can be released on Steam. The only other mods (to my knowledge) that can be released anywhere other than Steam Workshop are Source engine mods. Either that, or they have to be in the Steam Workshop, and XCOM doesn't have mod support, let alone Workshop support. I wager we'll see something along the lines of Workshop support for XCOM 2.
Morrissey

Post by Morrissey »

Mundovore wrote:Don't think Long War can be released on Steam. The only other mods (to my knowledge) that can be released anywhere other than Steam Workshop are Source engine mods. Either that, or they have to be in the Steam Workshop, and XCOM doesn't have mod support, let alone Workshop support. I wager we'll see something along the lines of Workshop support for XCOM 2.
Not entirely true, Company of Heroes: Europe at War (a mod for the first CoH) is available through Steam.

See: http://store.steampowered.com/app/342370
Bullett00th

Post by Bullett00th »

Morrissey wrote:
Mundovore wrote:Don't think Long War can be released on Steam. The only other mods (to my knowledge) that can be released anywhere other than Steam Workshop are Source engine mods. Either that, or they have to be in the Steam Workshop, and XCOM doesn't have mod support, let alone Workshop support. I wager we'll see something along the lines of Workshop support for XCOM 2.
Not entirely true, Company of Heroes: Europe at War (a mod for the first CoH) is available through Steam.

See: http://store.steampowered.com/app/342370
CoH is a mod-friendly game from the get-go, EU isn't
bigrowdy

Post by bigrowdy »

Which makes Longwar so much more impressive. This team modded a game which was not meant to be modded. ....Awesome
Tanalbi
Long War EU Crew

Post by Tanalbi »

Long War is not only a mod, it's something endorsed by Jake Solomon himself, something of very high admiration, a masterpiece. Why not being on Steam? Besides, it's indie, and as far as i know, Xenonauts is indie too, and it howerever became on Steam (Now, you're gonna tell me, Xenonauts might be indie but it's a game, not a mod. Well, that is a very good point).
"The prefect true curves of a woman are her smile"
ArchAngelis

Post by ArchAngelis »

The thing to remember is that first and foremost, Steam is a DRM manager. As there are no digital rights to manage (for the most part) with a free game modification, this doesn't really fall in Steam's purview.

Second to keep in mind, Steam is a company like any other, and it exists to make money. Outside of the community workshops for some games, Steam hosts and distributes games to make money. Since I doubt Long War Studios ever intents to officially monetize this mod (or even indeed if they legally can), Steam doesn't have much of a monetary motivation to make this happen either.