Terra Invicta Reveal Trailer is live!

johnnylump
Site Admin

Terra Invicta Reveal Trailer is live!

Post by johnnylump »

JOKER

Re: Terra Invicta Reveal Trailer is live!

Post by JOKER »

Up until you show two fleet engage each other, it makes me interested in the game; but the fleet battle part is ugly as hell.

I know the game development is at pre-alpha, and the semi-realistic spacecraft design actually looks good. But the style of "slow moving" spacecraft and projectile, plus very short engagement range, just feels wrong for "realistic" setting of this game. I was expecting CoaDE or the Expanse style engagement, where spacecraft engage at extreme range with very high speed, and any direct hit is extremely lethal.
Arcturus

Post by Arcturus »

Wow! What a very inspiring endeavor! I do very much hope you guys are up to successfully linking the many cogs and wheels of systems that seem to interlink with each other. But you’ve proven before that you are able to create greatness - definitely going to put my money into your kickstarter campaign.
:-)
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

The trailer just shows off the ship models close up. This is (VERY roughly) what actually playing the battles will look like:
spacebattleview.png
spacebattleview.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 34257 times
We're modeling Newtonian physics in the battles. What that means is you don't get to stop for free, and you can't bank like an airplane because there's no air to bank off of. Your ships have one big thruster on the back, and small maneuver thrusters on the sides. Your ship has a velocity -- and it's going to keep going that way until you turn around and thrust to stop.

The colored UI elements (which aren't the final look) are drag-and-drop waypoints where you can plot your future positions within the constraints of your ship's capabilities. The colors coordinate at future times, so all the ships are scheduled to hit the orange dot at the same moment. You can also change your facing independent of the direction you are moving in, so you can "drive-by" and take a shot.
nick_abbott

Post by nick_abbott »

Looking good, congratulations!
JOKER

Post by JOKER »

johnnylump wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:21 pm The trailer just shows off the ship models close up. This is (VERY roughly) what actually playing the battles will look like:
This one seems good.
Szandor

Post by Szandor »

I was very impressed/excited to see the design of the ships being similar to what was described in "Through Struggle, the Stars". Following on from that, will you be implementing the ability for ships to "create terrain" with kinetic weapons as was seen in the book? If momentum isn't free, forcing an enemy ship to move the way you want him to with slow-moving weapons is a great tactic. I'm sure it would be difficult to do from a gameplay perspective but I thought it was a pretty interesting idea.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Yes, that's indeed how kinetic weapons work. Still have some work to do balancing their rate of fire versus that of point defenses.

(And thanks for reading the book!)
Szandor

Post by Szandor »

That's awesome, maybe by rereading your book I can get a few tips for the gameplay :)
Makes me wonder what else from the book will be implemented. Laser weapon optical shutters, heat management (though that looks to be a factor from that screenshot), the arrowhead glacier plates common to warships... maybe the aliens are using keyholes for FTL. And little stuff like running a ship at lower atmosphere pressures to reduce mass.

I only read the first one, and while the space battles were really great, the best part was the geopolitics and emphasis on intel etc. Looking around at the dev diaries it looks like this will be a major point of focus.
Varicen

Post by Varicen »

Just wanted to say I'm super excited for the game, while the space combat looked a bit rough, the total package looks great.
Kirsche

Post by Kirsche »

Looks promising.

One question: Will there be ground combat too?
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

The game will simulate large-scale terrestrial warfare (armies) on Earth, and portray small-unit actions at a highly abstracted level. If you're asking whether we're doing squad-based tactical combat, the answer is no, that's outside our scope for this game. TI is a grand strategy / management sim with a tactical space combat layer.

(Hoping to do a tactics game as our second title)