Long War 2 feature announce: Coil weapons

Badman_bacon777

Re: Long War 2 feature announce: Coil weapons

Post by Badman_bacon777 »

mattprice516 wrote:
Badman_bacon777 wrote:
johnnylump wrote:
That's technically possible, yes, but it's funny, now that we've gone pro I feel like we should avoid stuff like that. Weird, I know -- it's the kind of thing we'd do in a heartbeat back in the LW/EW days. Easy enough for someone else to mod in; if I get time I can see about creating the templates so it'd be super-easy to do.
Of course I haven't played the mod, but I would assume no DLC weapons on tiers two and four would nullify their effectiveness.
I'll just say that I haven't found that to be the case in my LW2 campaigns. Do people who use the LW Laser Weapons right now find the DLC weapons to be useless? YMMV of course but I wouldn't personally worry too much about it.

In any case - I have no doubt that someone will create DLC weapons for the other weapon tiers shortly after LW2 comes out, models or no models. :)
I definitely take your word for considering you've played it. I'm very jealous.
Jeckhyl

Post by Jeckhyl »

Arantir wrote:
Yzaxtol wrote:I can't wait to stea....
"Steady Weapon" some coil sniper rifles? :)
By the way, will it make a return? It was really nice sometimes to have a preparation move available.
Steady Weapon is a base Sharpshooter skill in the LW Perk Pack - and an optionnal skill for some other classes too.

BUT BE CAREFULL WITH THIS MOD ! When you will try it one little time, you'll never be able to go back to vanila. Never.
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

Yzaxtol wrote:Wow, these new guns look amazing..... and a perfect fit.

I can't wait to stea.... 'play' with these guns. :D
Glad to see you're still around Yzax. :)

Yes, the coil weapons look great (Captainbubs did fine work again), and it shouldn't be too tough to break them off as a separate mod. One reason we didn't is that even with the LaserPack, it was starting to feel a bit crowded with 4 tech tiers of weapons in a regular campaign. There may be a few other things that could have been broken off into separate pieces, but that sort of thing can start to get difficult to manage.

In fact, all of our previous standalone mods will be actually integrated into LW2, not just required pieces. This is because we've generally made tweaks to them in the context of the bigger set of changes. For example, as JL has said, Laser weapons moving to a different tier, and getting aim bonuses.

Looking forward to sharing more with you all later as we get closer to release.
Mickey -renraw-

Overjoyed at LW 2 announcement

Post by Mickey -renraw- »

Absolutely ecstatic about hearing LW 2 is actually happening, was hoping to hear about Terra Invicta, but you know what, to put it lightly Long War 2 being announced is good enough :D

Now sorry if i dive right in, but i haven't seen this asked nor have i found any information about it, but given how great a job you guys did with Long War and how well you made use of XCOMs fan base in the Nexus among other places, i was wondering, how much influence does Firaxis have over the development? You guys have mentioned "that you can't talk about *blank* yet" I'm assuming this isn't simply down to yourselves, or am i misunderstanding? With you guys being pro now how much freedom do you guys have with Long War 2?

My apologies if this is right on the nose, but regardless of the answer this is amazing news, and I'm excited as hell to see the letters LW next to the number 2. Thank you guys so much, good luck and big hugs goes out to all of you :D
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

A lot of folks make this mistake, but we as a studio actually work for 2K, which owns Firaxis. We are in frequent contact with the folks at Firaxis, who have been a great help in getting LW2 together.

To answer your question, I can say 2K has allowed us total creative control. We told them what we wanted to do and they said go for it.
Mickey -renraw-

Re: Overjoyed at LW 2 announcement

Post by Mickey -renraw- »

Thanks for the reply and info Mr Lump, again big hugs goes out to you and everyone on the team, dealing with all of us here was a nightmare first time round, i wouldn't imagine things will be any different this time :D
rakoon79

Post by rakoon79 »

I suppose they said no to preemptive reveals of other Coilgun weapons?
Valaska

Post by Valaska »

deaconivory wrote:
Valaska wrote:My biggest question, will coil guns be viable end-game? As viable as Plasma that is? One of the issues I have with Vanilla XCOM is that only Beam is viable in end game.
Yes.
Cool, I like side-grades in XCOM over clear progression.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

SMG

Shotgun

Sniper Rifle

May or may not get an LMG image up.
rakoon79

Post by rakoon79 »

Sniper Rifle in particular looks sick. Can't wait to see others including armors and what not :D
rfriar

Post by rfriar »

Damn. Those look great! :)
tekronis

Post by tekronis »

Beautiful; thank you for posting these.
dversion

Post by dversion »

Is there a plan for the alien hunter weapons. They're pretty unique and it'd be a shame to not utilise them in some interesting ways.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

The alien hunter weapons are still in the mod and have had some stat adjustments.