Destroy Relay mission?

wei270

Destroy Relay mission?

Post by wei270 »

seriously of all the missions destroy relay mission are not only more difficult due to the nature of the objective, but they also give the the least reward!

so i was wondering what are you guys thoughts on them, because for me there is almost no reason to not skip them entirely. Even if it is part of the liberation chain, i can't just skip it and wait for a better mission to show up.
PWK87

Re: Destroy Relay mission?

Post by PWK87 »

They're pretty easy if you blow the wall off the building with a rocket and have a sniper go to town with squadsight from a shinobi, spend a couple turns fighting defensively on the evac until everything is wrapped up and your shinobi gets back.
Daergar

Post by Daergar »

They are the absolute easiest with one to three snipers and a shinobi, just as Pwk87 suggests. Technical with a javelin rocket, or better yet, bunker buster, as a safety net if the map is not giving you a sight-line.

Play better. ;)
brunodema

Post by brunodema »

What do you mean "least reward"? AFAIK they counter most of the times Dark Events, Retaliations and are even Liberation events, so I believe that they can be pretty crucial at some points of the campaign.
wei270

Post by wei270 »

ok here is the question do you drop the evac before or after you destroy the relay. because there is always the risk your snipers are discovered and in that case you have a high chance of losing them which i think is not worth it. if you drop the evac before you destroy relay alien on the map move toward you, if you do it after reinforcement drop on top of you.

as for the reward other then darkevents, all hacking mission give you hacking reward, and rescue mission give your rescue reward. and assassination mission generally have better standard mission reward if you bring back the guy alive.
Peerless Girl

Post by Peerless Girl »

I tend to run these with a Shinobi/Sniper pair, and have had exceedingly good luck so far. generally it goes like this:

Scout with shinobi (who is a captain with 2 uses of command). Locate pods, and find a way to get her in a safe spot with vision on the relay where she hunkers in wait. Meanwhile sniper moves to get a (preferably high) line of shot on the relay, ideally with at least half or preferably full cover. Extra bonus if he's within the Shinobi Officer's command range. Wait until the next turn starts and/or the most number of pods have patrolled as far away as they can, or as I can afford to wait to drop the hammer. I open by firing on the relay, which tends to scatter and confuse the guys near the relay (hopefully not spotting the shinobi in the process) Ghost Walker helps with this. Ideally she then commands the sniper, he drops the evac either on his position, or at a good midway point between the two (preferably with cover) he then drops a smoke grenade (both carry smoke and flash just in case, but no offensive grenades) to cover himself. He fires again next turn, if she can she commands him again and he either smokes the evac, or flashbangs the most dangerous nearby foes, if any are alerted and near him. He fires again, generally killing the relay, by now firebrand is ready (if not long before now), he evacs or moves to evac, if they have to move, the shinobi moves to evac or close (ideally still stealthed) and drops a smoke on the evac if needed. Both evac when they can. Generally I've done it with no damage, very little firing on them, and in some cases the Shinobi never lost stealth.

TLDR, don't throw the evac until concealment is broken, do it with the sniper (unless your shinobi is unconcealed).
prokolyo

Post by prokolyo »

brunodema wrote:What do you mean "least reward"? AFAIK they counter most of the times Dark Events, Retaliations and are even Liberation events, so I believe that they can be pretty crucial at some points of the campaign.
Does anyone know what exactly do these missions prevent?