Is LW2 like a Second Wave Option?

For requests, ideas and general mod talk
sentinel

Is LW2 like a Second Wave Option?

Post by sentinel »

If you install this Longwar2 mod, would it be possible to have all the extra content be just a setting so that people that want to see the difference can just switch it off?
Thrair
Long War 2 Crew

Re: Is LW2 like a Second Wave Option?

Post by Thrair »

I'm not sure if nexusmod installs support it, but if you install mods through the steam workshop, the launcher has a section labed "mods" that allows you to select which mods are active when you start up the game. Makes it quick and easy to turn the mod off/on.
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

sentinel wrote:If you install this Longwar2 mod, would it be possible to have all the extra content be just a setting so that people that want to see the difference can just switch it off?
Given the massive amount of changes made and new content added, I am going to go with no. LW2 is such an extensive alteration of how the strategic layer works that trying to remove it in the middle of an existing campaign is an awful idea.
Thrair wrote:I'm not sure if nexusmod installs support it, but if you install mods through the steam workshop, the launcher has a section labed "mods" that allows you to select which mods are active when you start up the game. Makes it quick and easy to turn the mod off/on.
Except by turning it off in the middle of a campaign your save game is going to be riddled with no-longer-valid references to classes, abilities, weapons, mission types, enemy types...

~~

Now that's not to say you couldn't try LW2 out and start a new vanilla campaign if you decide it's not your thing, but removing it from an existing campaign? Not gonna work.
Thrair
Long War 2 Crew

Post by Thrair »

Well, yeah. Sorry. Kinda figured that was a given.

I thought the OP's idea was if it could be turned off/on easily so you didn't have to change a bunch of files back and forth when checking out the differences.

Changing it mid-campaign would be a very bad idea.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Changing the thing in flight is an obvious bad idea so it was more like:
If i start a new campaign, can we decide if we want to do it classic or LW style?
Maybe offer LW after a full completion and unlock it that way :D
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

No, you'd have to disable it in the launcher. Which is functionally the same thing, kinda.