How are people liberating regions so fast?

AegixDrakan

How are people liberating regions so fast?

Post by AegixDrakan »

Ok, so I just had my first game over. I lagged a lot at the start, and then a ton of problems happened, and I only liberated my first region in November. On mostly Rookie (Started in Veteran, then dropped down because I didn't like the no-flare-reinforcements)

Cue Doom Tracker filling up completely with red. And the Blacksite is 3 whole hops away from any territory I control. Coming back was impossible.

So, I know I'm supposed to free a region quickly to get the doom Tracker and Blacksite visible and to get safe guaranteed supplies ASAP, and I've seen people on Commander and above saying they freed their first region in like 3 months.

How is that even possible, though?

Doing the network tower mission in a strength 2 region in October with everyone using Mag weaponry was insanely hard, and this is after the disastrous Strength 3 laser gun raid in a nearby region in August. There's just too many enemies for 5 people to fight without Mag weapons, and the network towers are typically PACKED with mecs, heavy mecs dropping in, Sectoid commanders and muton centurions, even at 200% infiltration. (To say nothing of there being a lot of crappy map layouts that force you to break concealment early because one path needs you to break glass, and the other path has 4 guys running in circles inside a building with no doors)

And the HQ mission? I sent in 10 guys with the best magnetic weaponry supplies could buy, and while no one died, we had a few REALLY close calls because there were pods of like 8 enemies at once in some places, not to mention berserkers and 20+ HP commandos and stuff all over the damn place. How the hell do people survive this mission before getting full Mag weaponry on 10 guys?

So yeah, considering the luck factor in finding the right Lead early on, PLUS the difficulty getting your economy and research rolling at the start, plus how insanely hard Network Tower strength 3 is in August (3 heavy mecs at once), PLUS the huge army that's waiting at the HQ...How the hell does anyone liberate their regions so quickly?

Advice from fellow commanders please?
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Re: How are people liberating regions so fast?

Post by chrisb »

What I've been trying out is basically rushing the first region to Lib 3 while expanding to other regions to run missions to keep vigilance from spiking to hard. Ideally I would scan until Lib 1 pops, then contact a 2nd region. Once Lib 1 is complete go back and scan for Lib 2, then back to 2nd region to get lib 1. If that pops great, but priority is getting Lib 3 in 1st Region. Once intel is enough contact 3rd region, get Lib 2 in 2nd region and Lib 1 in 3rd region. Basically trying to keep each region progressing along the chain in somewhat of an order.

As soon as the network tower pops in my 1st region I hit that fairly quickly, I think it's typically before the 2nd supply drop if i can manage. Then look to hit the HQ before the 3rd supply drop. If not its fine, but I won't let it go past the 4th supply drop. Weapon upgrades are great, but it's more about having a solid group of SGTs or SSGT if you can manage. I don't usually care about weapons/armor all that much, since it's kind of a pushover at force level 3 if you take your time and scout things well.

Overall, I think it's really important to be expanding quickly and focus on the lib chains. Once one pops in a region, go somewhere else and get another one there. Sitting in the same region spiking vigilance is likely to just get you massive alert levels that will make the tower and HQ that much harder.
AegixDrakan

Post by AegixDrakan »

chrisb wrote:I don't usually care about weapons/armor all that much, since it's kind of a pushover at force level 3 if you take your time and scout things well.
I'm guessing that if you do it in the first few months, Advent's forces are weaker and you don't end up facing any Heavy Mecs and stuff during those missions at Force level 3 which require advanced weapons to do anything about?
Silenus

Post by Silenus »

I usually have three regions liberated by the end of the summer.
How is that even possible, though?
Are you intel boosting the the Network Tower mission? I usually do it with a Light or Light/Moderate rating. I also always stealth up to the relay without breaking concealment, and only attack once the whole map is stunned. Technicals and trench gun Assaults obliterate everything quickly. This tactic has never failed me, and pretty much trivializes the whole mission. You never have to deal with reinforcements either.

And by October you should pretty much be using Coil guns and not Magnetic on your A-teams.

Also, the HQ mission shouldn't be that hard. If you're managing the 0% supply raids, then you should have no problem with HQ missions.

Only thing I can suggest is that you watch someone like Xwynns or Joinrbs on youtube/twitch to see how they consistently beat Legendary/Ironman. There's probably lots of small things you're doing wrong.
AegixDrakan

Post by AegixDrakan »

Silenus wrote: Also, the HQ mission shouldn't be that hard. If you're managing the 0% supply raids, then you should have no problem with HQ missions.
Never tried a 0% supply raid. Depending on Advent strength I had serious issues (Like, "We need to Evac" serious) with some of them when they were just at the Moderate enemy level.
bearmans

Post by bearmans »

I don't blame you for being confused, I was until my most recent run.

The big question I have for you is: how many full-stealth missions are you running? During my early game for my current playthrough, I had tons of two man stealth missions going on in the first couple months. This ended up with me having a ton of scientists & engineers early, as well as more resistance members to put on intel. Given how poorly my first two attempts went (before I knew stealthing was actually a thing that actually worked), the contrast with the current playthrough is night and day. It's sorta unfortunate, because full stealth missions aren't very engaging, but they're clearly how you win the strategic layer.

The other big one is to immediately assign a haven advisor so you clear out faceless asap (faceless will WRECK your income, either intel or supplies).
trihero

Post by trihero »

The network tower mission is much easier when you realize the correct tactic is

1 stealth shinobi - with covert/ghostwalker, there is always a way to the control room without being seen
4 assaults - they take advantage of the console's stun to shoot all the fishies in the barrel

You send the shinobi to get to the control room as soon as possible, while the other guys get a feel for the map and pods, and have each assault "follow" a pod around. When you hack the console, then break concealment and go to town. No reinforcements to fight when you hack the console, this is the key issue that is making this harder for you than it should be. You should be able to decimate at least 75% of the enemy forces during the stun, if not outright 100%. (you get 2 completely free shots, and the third one is also free but then the enemy responds). It gets really easy once you get Close Encounters on the assaults, and outright simplistic once you get Street Sweeper. If you equip your Shinobi with the alien hunter axe, he can solo a pod as well during the stun (toss axe, slash -> fleche that's 3 damaging moves in one turn alone). If there are one or two too many pods to take on, then just wipe out the ones you can then regroup and take out the last pods. By hacking the console you prevent reinforcements = ez.

You may substitute in Rangers for Assaults since point blank/barrels/light'em up are very strong early in the game, but once assaults get close encounters it's no contest anymore.

The HQ mission is not hard either. You have all the time in the world so just do a slow overwatch creep. Take 1 scouting shinobi, and at least 1 sharpshooter, and the rest are volume of fire/good overwatchers, with maybe 1 guy with a fire grenade for the general, maybe one technical for a pinch rocket if you need it. Pack all your utility slots, like get medkits on everyone, etc. It's more boring than hard. You may wish to take more sharpshooters to make room for people on the front line to get good cover.
AegixDrakan

Post by AegixDrakan »

bearmans wrote: The big question I have for you is: how many full-stealth missions are you running? During my early game for my current playthrough, I had tons of two man stealth missions going on in the first couple months.
Oh.

Yeah, I ran a bunch of stealth missions (Lullaby squad was particularly lucky/consistent at sneaking in the back door of just about everything), but always with 4-5-6 man squads. I tried to stealth whenever possible, but I was always too nervous to send in just 2 people in case things went sideways (and to spread the EXP evenly among people so I had several combat-ready squads)

I think I'll give the 2 man teams a shot. It would make infiltration a ton faster, which will allow me to take on more missions, at least in the early game.
bearmans

Post by bearmans »

AegixDrakan wrote:Oh.

Yeah, I ran a bunch of stealth missions (Lullaby squad was particularly lucky/consistent at sneaking in the back door of just about everything), but always with 4-5-6 man squads. I tried to stealth whenever possible, but I was always too nervous to send in just 2 people in case things went sideways (and to spread the EXP evenly among people so I had several combat-ready squads)
Yeah, I suspected as much. Your experience sounded much the same as mine before I figured out you could run 2 man stealth missions with virtually no risk.
darkerevent

Post by darkerevent »

Very early libs are also just plain easier because ADVENT doesn't yet have access to as many interesting aliens and upgrades yet.

In both of my campaigns (just on Veteran so far), I did my first lib with ballistic weaponry (in May or so?). Getting it extremely fast is partly down to RNG on the strategic layer (having lib 1 pop up in the first week in a form that's beatable is always nice) and partly down to game knowledge (understanding how to beat the missions dependably without issues).

I haven't used a "suicide assassin" type of strat for a Dark VIP lib mission yet, but I've heard that it's an efficient way of clearing them.

For an early lib3 destroy the relay, I usually bring lots of grenadiers, technicals, and rangers. Get as close as possible while concealed, break conceal with a choice rocket, throw the evac flare, and let the explosives users sort out the remaining enemies while the rangers hit Both Barrels on the relay for an easy kill. You'll lose a few enemy loot drops this way, but you'll make it up many times over with all that materiel from capturing the HQ later.

As others have noted, a squad consisting of a Shinobi and some mix of Assault/Ranger/Technical makes for a great early Tower team. Stealth in, hack the thing, and then destroy as many pods as you can while everything is stunned. Considering that you don't get to carry enemy corpses out of a Tower mission anyway, you can be liberal with your explosives if you see good opportunities arising from pods being clumped up.
redsky14

Post by redsky14 »

Ok , similiar Q. I lost my 4th game on Commander in late December. While i am pretty good in fighting aliens, i guess im doing something wrong in Geoscape.

Do we have to Liberate 2nd country, after i Liberate first one ? I didnt done that and maybe because of that i feel like im goin 2 slow ( never had Coilguns for example ) . Can you beat the game if you stop doin Lead missions after you have Liberate one country ( on commander ) ?

I could Liberate 2nd one, just i was lazy to play Lead m. again and again...
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Post by Devon_v »

I liberate my starting region straight away. As mentioned, it's really easy to do, even at relatively high ADVENT strength values, when all they have are basic M1 troops and Sectoids and Vipers. I do like to aim to have lasers before the HQ. I also expand immediately into the surrounding regions so I can start recruiting more rebels while ADVENT is still too sleepy to run any retaliations.

I run 13 Intel in my home region and scan with the Avenger there so I can detect troop columns and supply raids with decent timers which also helps. I get supplies from a few rebels in the other regions, but mostly rely on rewards and selling loot early on. Once I get the liberation done I get a 13 Supply + Radio + Engineer region and I'm early game rich.

The towers are very easy so long as you don't break concealment early. You want to be most of the way to the control room before they spot you. if you do it well, they'll never even get a single reinforcement drop. Early HQs are also very easy unless you have horrible luck. You can just set up a killing field and wait for patrols to walk into it one by one. Sloth's not too tough when his command pod is the only thing still alive and you have all your cooldowns ready to go. The Frost Bomb in particular makes him a joke.

There's no actual need to liberate more than one region, it really comes down to your resource situation. It's a great thing to do if you have the opportunity, such as Lib1 popping in a strength 1 or 2 region, but as I understand it the first person who beat Legend never did a second liberation.
Solomani

Post by Solomani »

Use a scientist as a haven adviser in the region you are going to liberate along with a majority of personnel on Intel. That will get you very good infiltration times, even on supply raids. Doing those will keep the strength down. Research basic research then lasers. Also contact two other regions for supplies. By then you should be on your way towards liberation missions.

That's the path I've taken on my third attempt. Probably not optimal but seems to be working better than all my others.
aedn

Post by aedn »

redsky14 wrote:Ok , similiar Q. I lost my 4th game on Commander in late December. While i am pretty good in fighting aliens, i guess im doing something wrong in Geoscape.

Do we have to Liberate 2nd country, after i Liberate first one ? I didnt done that and maybe because of that i feel like im goin 2 slow ( never had Coilguns for example ) . Can you beat the game if you stop doin Lead missions after you have Liberate one country ( on commander ) ?

I could Liberate 2nd one, just i was lazy to play Lead m. again and again...
You only have to do one liberation mission, and really only to unlock the storyline missions. Doing more regions really only changes the number of resources you get. It largely depends on how active you are at running missions.

Focusing on a small group of soldiers, and rushing the storyline missions while getting equipment is very effective. If you choose this route, you want quite a few small stealth teams to take on easy missions to boost intel, and generate resources. I did this in a couple of games, but i just do not like the current mechanics that LW2 has personally.

I build a large roster, and constantly do missions until i win or lose. Provided you continue to expand, and do not have to many deaths early, you can fight your way to the end even on legend. The only real difference is you have a finite time limit on when you need to finish the game, unless your doing supply raids to keep the avatar project from finishing.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

redsky14 wrote:O
You don't have to liberate other regions but it can definitely help you. I'm late December in my current commander campaign, i have coil but no plasma. I don't feel pressed by the timer thought as the Avatar project is 9/20 and slowed down by 72% due to me messing with advent all over the world. I've had three regions liberated for several months now even though my first liberation was late June, others followed. Advent still haven't attempted to recapture a single one despite sometimes having 8 str in adjacent regions probably because i keep messing with them and they are constantly moving troops around. All this stuff is distracting them and i've blown two factories recently plus just completed the Forge mission.

Overall, you probably need to either rush the storyline (and the research to good weapons and armor) and aim to finish early December or make a mess of their world to slow them down. Liberating several regions looks like a good way to annoy them and buy some time. I don't know exactly how liberated regions are treated but each point of global vigilance above global str slows down every avatar progress by 10 h. Liberated regions obviously have 0 str, if they have some vigilance because ADVENT want them back they can make a considerable delay.
Reducing strength with troop/convoy ambushes is also obviously an important part and here liberation is very powerful as it removes 5 points of str (unless the region had less than 5 str) while redistributing the rest. 5 points is 50 hours off every point until they can rebuild their strength.
Goldenmonkey

Post by Goldenmonkey »

Hmm, I only just did my first Network tower and it was a piece of cake. With standard guns, not even laser. Strength 3. Difficulty Veteran.
How did you approach the mission?

Here is what I did and propose:
Take 1 stealth shinobi, a technical and basically whatever you like. I took a gunner, a ranger and an assault.
Scout all the pods and their patrol routes with the shinobi, hide the rest of the squad. Find a spot, where you can ambush one pod and are able to get to another pod quickly. I had a pod of 4 close to the objective and a pod with 3 Vipers on the roof of the objective.
Get the shinobi in a place, where he can run to the objective and hack it in 1 turn, position the rest for an ambush. Open up with hacking, stuns the enemies for 2 turns. Flamethrower the first pod and kill what is left. Kill, or nearly kill the vipers with the 2nd turn.
The remaining pod was just some advent, no real trouble. I think I got a light wound, that was it.

E: I put all resistance on intel in the first region, never on anything else.
josna238

Post by josna238 »

Goldenmonkey wrote:Hmm, I only just did my first Network tower and it was a piece of cake. With standard guns, not even laser. Strength 3. Difficulty Veteran.

The problem to me is not the mission, the question is, how do you reach the tower mision with trength 3?

If it is a secondary region we could pick one with strenth 1 and choose only liberation missions but in the first region on early we need do a lot of missions appart liberation, so I don't know how to get the tower at so low strength (if it is not by being awesome lucky detecting all liberations at first attempt and with good infiltration times).

I (even with more than 5 Intels plus avenger) get most of the missions below 3 days and simply can't do all of them. Not to mention the raids to decrease advent strength that I have never saw at more than 1 day.
Goldenmonkey

Post by Goldenmonkey »

josna238 wrote:
Goldenmonkey wrote: ...
The problem to me is not the mission, the question is, how do you reach the tower mision with trength 3?

If it is a secondary region we could pick one with strenth 1 and choose only liberation missions but in the first region on early we need do a lot of missions appart liberation, so I don't know how to get the tower at so low strength (if it is not by being awesome lucky detecting all liberations at first attempt and with good infiltration times).

I (even with more than 5 Intels plus avenger) get most of the missions below 3 days and simply can't do all of them. Not to mention the raids to decrease advent strength that I have never saw at more than 1 day.
Hmm, maybe I was just lucky. I put everyone on intel and did nearly every mission I could. I focused all my attention on the first region, I didn't even contact another until I had the tower mission appearing.

Missions with 3 days are possible, though. If they are extract vip or prison breaks, for example, send a shinobi and a specialist. If you have a shinobi officer with oscar mike, they become next to broken easy.
Kill a VIP was easy as well. A well placed rocket from within dashing distance to the evac did it for me. I had a 5 man squad, but would have only needed a shinobi, a technical and maybe a specialist.

I might have just been lucky with mission design and what missions appeared though. I don't know the depths of the mechanics that well.
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

AegixDrakan wrote: Yeah, I ran a bunch of stealth missions (Lullaby squad was particularly lucky/consistent at sneaking in the back door of just about everything), but always with 4-5-6 man squads. I tried to stealth whenever possible, but I was always too nervous to send in just 2 people in case things went sideways (and to spread the EXP evenly among people so I had several combat-ready squads)
I felt the same way at first. And for the record, the first couple of two-man teams I tried DID go sideways (and fast!) but I learned what not to do and then it got a lot better.
AegixDrakan wrote: I think I'll give the 2 man teams a shot. It would make infiltration a ton faster, which will allow me to take on more missions, at least in the early game.
If you need to hack something for the objective, remember to bring a Specialist. Being able to hack from range makes a big difference for a two-man team (bonuses from actually-good hacking skills also help.)

For hostile VIPs I almost always use a Shinobi/Sniper two-man team these days. Don't even try to capture the guy, just pop him from a distance, when your guys are already between the VIP and the evac zone, then book it. I use another mod (Tactical Suppressors) that means putting a silencer on the sniper's weapon allows me to kill the VIP without breaking concealment (in ideal circumstances), but even without that mod I think you can make your get-away easily enough. Even if a pod of aliens sees you, you should be close enough to the evac point to get out before they can start shooting.

On the strategic front, I put almost everyone in my home region on Intel (plus a few on Recruit) to make sure I find the Liberation chain missions ASAP. For the first month or two you don't even really need income from rebels - you can subsist off what you get from excavating rooms in the Avenger. I always put soldiers as haven advisors to root out the Faceless.

So far, I've never had problems with Network Tower/HQ Assault. They're hard missions, no doubt, but manageable. Usually I see MECs for the first time in HQ Assault (and then only one or two - which I proceed to Haywire/control the crap out of and let ADVENT kill them for me ;)
AegixDrakan

Post by AegixDrakan »

Did a bunch of stealth missions last night on my second run. Got a good head start so far. No casualties yet. In fact, I'm really enjoying Shinobi/Specialist for those hacking missions.

I immediately bought a scientist and an engineer from the Black Market, I have the AWC imminent (3 days), and I just need another 3 days to clear out one more room and I'll have enough scrap to make the Tactics center. Scientist is currently at the haven boosting intel.
Goldenmonkey wrote:Hmm, I only just did my first Network tower and it was a piece of cake. With standard guns, not even laser. Strength 3. Difficulty Veteran.
I think part of my problem was that I did them in August. There were 2 heavy MECs, as well as mutons and an archon there, scattered among 4 pods of reasonably tough dudes.

Sneaked around one side to avoid two pods (one with sectoids, the other having 2 heavy MECs and a grenadier) got really close to the control room, then got spotted by a third pod that was somehow in a position I could not see them from while in concealment.

Killed the muton pod in one turn, got pincered by sectoids doing panic attacks and the heavy mecs who started by firing micro rockets everywhere. When moving to flank and kill the sectoid pod, I revealed a turret on my side of the map which started taking potshots at my guys.

Cleared up the sectoid pod, but the Mec pod was not only REALLY tanky and hard to kill (and I failed a 60% contol hack) it was also in a very awkward position to shoot at. Then reinforcements including a stun lancer, another heavy mec, and a shieldbearer dropped in. I tried to make a run for the command room, but it was full of vipers and an archon. More barrages of weapon fire from two flanks that killed 2 of my guys.

Shieldbearer shielded their team, my Shinobi tried to do a cross-map sword attack to kill it and MISSED (insta-dead the next turn) and the mecs proceeded to charge into my remaining 2, flanked them from a suicidal angle and just massacred them knowing that it was over. :s

The heavy mecs were a serious problem, as they have a LOT of HP. Hilariously, I didn't run into any more after that. Not in my STR 2 Tower raid, nor in the STR 3 HQ raid in the neighboring region. >_>
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

AegixDrakan wrote:I immediately bought a scientist and an engineer from the Black Market, I have the AWC imminent (3 days), and I just need another 3 days to clear out one more room and I'll have enough scrap to make the Tactics center.
I find on Legendary I just can't afford to hire Scientists and Engineers from the Black Market as at over 100 supplies each they're just too pricey. I also buy the GTS before I get the AWC, needing the ability to train up Rookies as it soon becomes too risky to take them on missions and I can afford to put off the accelerated healing and the training of the AWC. Also having 35 supplies on hand when the GTS completes means I can expand it with an Officer Training Station right away.
Goldenmonkey

Post by Goldenmonkey »

AegixDrakan wrote:Did a bunch of stealth missions last night on my second run. Got a good head start so far. No casualties yet. In fact, I'm really enjoying Shinobi/Specialist for those hacking missions.

I immediately bought a scientist and an engineer from the Black Market, I have the AWC imminent (3 days), and I just need another 3 days to clear out one more room and I'll have enough scrap to make the Tactics center. Scientist is currently at the haven boosting intel.
Yeah, I love those stealth missions. The probably gonna get nerfed, don't know how yet. I hope not too badly, because I think the fit the narrative perfectly. After all, we are guerilla fighters that strike from the shadows.
AegixDrakan wrote: I think part of my problem was that I did them in August. There were 2 heavy MECs, as well as mutons and an archon there, scattered among 4 pods of reasonably tough dudes.
Well, to me it sounds, the getting spotted part was the important thing. IMO you need to open up by hacking. No reinforcements and you have 2 full turns to kill them, without cover or the need to be careful.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

The earlier you do the mission the easier enemies you'll find. So if you manage to do the Network Tower by late April or early May, the worst you'll find there are snakes and a MEC. A bit later and you'll find a Muton at the console pod.

So basically what you do is you put your starting region's haven in all Intel, do your liberation missions, hopefully you find them with decent time left. By the time Network Tower pops, vigilance should be really high on that region so keep it on Intel and intercept all those Supply Raids. If "Get ADVENT's attention" pops in that region, do it, it gives good intel rewards, it's easy, and it brings supply raids to the region. Then you send a squad equipped with lasers to do it, boost infiltration, if you're not sure of success over-infiltrate it to reduce number of enemies, bring AoE and a shinobi to sneak to the console, but most important, try to control ADVENT strenght by doing Supply raids and Troop columns.

For HQ try going with 8 (lot less time to 100%), boost infiltration, all laser weapons with a DFA sniper and a good shooty squad. Camp a side, wait for pods to stop coming, overwatch crawl.
AegixDrakan

Post by AegixDrakan »

Dwarfling wrote:The earlier you do the mission the easier enemies you'll find. So if you manage to do the Network Tower by late April or early May, the worst you'll find there are snakes and a MEC.
This is what I'm aiming for.

I've got the Defector mission about to roll out and I'm not even at my first supply drop yet. Got everyone at the haven set to Intel, plus a scientist, and I'm starting to intel bomb a second region already.

Not to mention I have the AWC and GTC up (Training up a second hacker/shinobi pair), and I've got two engies clearing up the Avenger to give me the supplies I need. If all keeps going well, I should be able to raid that network tower before the end of May for sure.
dstar3k

Post by dstar3k »

Goldenmonkey wrote:Well, to me it sounds, the getting spotted part was the important thing. IMO you need to open up by hacking. No reinforcements and you have 2 full turns to kill them, without cover or the need to be careful.
I've been following this thread with a certain amount of bemusement. I've done I think three or four network tower missions so far, the first of which was relatively early, and I have _never_ managed to reach the access point concealed. In fact, I've never managed to get within two dashing moves of the access point without breaking concealment.

I must be doing something wrong, but every time the enemy patrols have made it impossible to reach the access point safely.