LW2 Strategic Layer: Managing Strength and Vigilance

Share strategy and tips here.
noryt

Re: LW2 Strategic Layer: Managing Strength and Vigilance

Post by noryt »

1st post here.

So whats the plan after reaching 8 or 9 advent strength.
Put everyone in the haven on hiding?
Or the 3/4 strategy? Put 3 or 4 rebels on each job type to avoid the mini retaliations, but still get something out the region.
Also with someone on intel you might catch the dark events that still will be generated.

I have 2 regions with 9 strength and not sure what to do with them without having some retaliation wipe them out.
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

If you have a region with high strength, look for a region nearby that has lower strength. If you do missions there and let vigilance fall in the high strength region, the troops will transfer to the new region. You can use this to 'pull' advent strength out of an area. This works well to generate lots of troop columns.

For example if you have a 2 next to a 9, run missions in the 2 until it reaches 4. A troop column should pop shortly after, do that and knock it down to 3. Now you have a 3 and a 7. Keep running missions and soon they'll both be 5/5, run troop columns in both and now it's at 4/4.

It's not always possible, depends on the layout of the map, but it works really well anytime you have a high strength next to a low strength. Balance them out and pounce on the troop columns to knock out strength. Typically you can take out 3 strength from those regions inside of a month or so.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

noryt wrote: Put everyone in the haven on hiding?
Never!
You can keep 4 rebels working "free of charge" (you'll never get any retaliation). Retaliations on UFOpedia
The absolute minimum is to keep 4 guys on supply or intel. You'll generate some supplies with 4 guys on supply which is better than nothing. 4 guys on Intel won't help you find most missions but Troop Columns have a bonus to detection based on the region strength so if you don't mind doing high activity Troop Column missions it's an option.
Going 4/4/4 is an option if you don't care about full retaliations (if you get the "defense" retaliation rather than the "terror" one, they are really easy).
Hiding does nothing, it won't make the strength drop. It's only useful to avoid retaliations or keep suspicious rebels (could be faceless) out of critical jobs.
Antifringe

Post by Antifringe »

High strength regions are kind of funny. They can mean one of two things. If you had your heart set on liberating the region, then high ADVENT strength can be seen as a failure condition. If you are okay with not liberating that specific region, then it counts as a victory. If you have, say 10 legions guarding a region, that is ten legions that can't be anywhere else. That's actually a much bigger swing than liberating a region, which only kills 4 legions and then disperses the rest, and also helps concentrate future ADVENT strength by removing a region.

Like others have said, high strength regions work best running a 4/4 split on Intel and Supply. Troop column ambushes get a bonus to detection, and that bonus scales with strength, so even a weak intel team will occasionally find workable missions. The troop ambushes give you good resources, kill a legion, and also increase vigilance, which means that ADVENT will want to send even more strength into this dead end rat trap of a region.

Brave commanders can even assign up to 4 recruiting rebels, hoping to get rookies and rendezvous missions, but this risks setting off retaliations. It also requires you to tie up a high level soldier for security, which is probably not worth it.
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

LordYanaek wrote:
noryt wrote: Put everyone in the haven on hiding?
Never!
You can keep 4 rebels working "free of charge" (you'll never get any retaliation). Retaliations on UFOpedia
The absolute minimum is to keep 4 guys on supply or intel. You'll generate some supplies with 4 guys on supply which is better than nothing. 4 guys on Intel won't help you find most missions but Troop Columns have a bonus to detection based on the region strength so if you don't mind doing high activity Troop Column missions it's an option.
Going 4/4/4 is an option if you don't care about full retaliations (if you get the "defense" retaliation rather than the "terror" one, they are really easy).
Hiding does nothing, it won't make the strength drop. It's only useful to avoid retaliations or keep suspicious rebels (could be faceless) out of critical jobs.
Technicall you can get retals with as few as 3 rebels.

X2LWActivityCondition_MinRebelsOnJob

Code: Select all

AdjustedMinRebelsOnJob = MinRebelsOnJob;

if (FacelessReduceMinimum)
{
	AdjustedMinRebelsOnJob = Max (MinRebelsOnJob - OutPostState.GetNumFacelessOnJob(Job), 3);
}
if (OutPostState.GetNumRebelsOnJob(Job) >= AdjustedMinRebelsOnJob)
{
	return true;	
}
return false;
MinRebelsOnJob is 6 for all job types. Set in Activities config as MIN_REBELS_TO_TRIGGER_X_RAID.

So really your only truly safe with 2. If you are sure there are no faceless then 5 is safe.
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

LordYanaek wrote:keep suspicious rebels (could be faceless) out of critical jobs
From what I've found, there is no benefit to hiding a rebel. If anything it is a detriment. Even faceless rebels still contribute income.

Here's the recruit income function for example.

GetDailyIncome_Recruit(Outpost, RebelLevels, MyTemplate)
{
    income = RebelLevels * MyTemplate.IncomePerRebel;
    if (Outpost.HasLiaisonOfKind('Soldier'))
    {
        income += default.SOLDIER_LIAISON_FLAT_BONUS;
    }
    return income;
}
It gets used here in the GetDailyIncomeForJob function.

GetDailyIncomeForJob(JobName, IgnoreJobChanges = false, Verbose = false)
{
	RebelLevels = GetRebelLevelsOnJob(JobName, IgnoreJobChanges);

if (JobTemplate.GetDailyIncomeFn != none)
	{
		DailyJobIncome = JobTemplate.GetDailyIncomeFn(self, RebelLevels, JobTemplate);
	}
	else
	{
		// No income function, use the "standard" formula
		DailyJobIncome = ((RebelLevels * JobTemplate.IncomePerRebel));// - (NumFaceless * JobTemplate.IncomePenaltyPerFaceless));
	}

foreach JobTemplate.IncomeModifiers(Modifier)
	{
		Mod = Modifier.GetModifier(self);
		DailyJobIncome *= Mod;
	}
}
return DailyJobIncome;
You can see there is some code commented out. It used to apply a flat penalty per faceless, and these are still in the config. Now it does a flat percent per faceless by difficulty for recruit and intel. Supply is handled separately.

The RebelLevels function also has no mention of caring about faceless.

GetRebelLevelsOnJob(JobName, IgnoreJobChanges = false)
{
	local int idx;
	local float RebelLevels;

for (idx = 0; idx < Rebels.Length; ++idx)
	{
		// Only count rebels that are on this job and which haven't switched jobs today, unless
		// IgnoreJobChanges is true.
		if (Rebels[idx].Job == JobName && 
				(IgnoreJobChanges || Rebels[idx].JobAtLastUpdate == Rebels[idx].Job))
		{
			RebelLevels += LEVEL_DATA[Rebels[idx].Level].Value;
		}
	}

return RebelLevels;
}
This is where the 'daily cooldown' logic comes into play. The update happens daily, and JobAtLastUpdate lags behind by one day.

If faceless were excluded, I would expect to see a Rebels[idx].bIsFaceless being checked within the conditions in that loop.

So hiding faceless is actually bad for your income it seems.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

chrisb wrote: Technicall you can get retals with as few as 3 rebels.
<...>
So really your only truly safe with 2.
Technically yes
But if you trigger a mini retaliation with only 3 rebels it means all 3 are faceless so you just have to let ADVENT kill them all and they will kill 3 faceless for you :lol:
If you are sure there are no faceless then 5 is safe.
No because 5 rebels active can still trigger a full retaliation so if the idea is to put the haven in "keep quiet and don't bother me mode" 4 rebels is the maximum. I'm not trying to argue whether it's a good strategic decision, just giving the number.

Apart from the rare case where you still have 2 faceless in your ancient (and probably experimented) rebels, 4 rebels is the safe point. I was considering an ancient haven that already spawned a number of missions to get str to 9 and you no longer want to really use (Old Age phase in JoINrbs opening post) so you probably already had 1-3 rendezvous missions and the first rebels can probably be trusted. It's different if you just contacted a region that's already at 9 of course.
chrisb wrote: From what I've found, there is no benefit to hiding a rebel. If anything it is a detriment. Even faceless rebels still contribute income.
OK, from the ini (and IIRC some comments by a developer) i thought they would only hurt the job they were directly assigned to, apart from Supply where they have a global effect on the haven (to avoid identifying them too easily). I also had the situation where i put 6 rebels on recruit in my first contacted region and that region barely grew for a full month (only 1 recruit) while everyone tells you running full recruit for some time is the best strategy to grow quickly. I finally had a rendezvous in that region where i killed 2 faceless and the haven was able to grow much faster from that point on (and with only 4 guys on recruit as i lost one in a recruit raid). So my recruitment was better with only 4 rebels than 6 rebels including 2 faceless. It was in 1.1 and of course i couldn't test to see if my recruitment was better with the faceless hiding or not.

Well, it's easier and less gamey this way. So hiding is really only useful to avoid retaliations.
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

The recruit income functions seem to be the most straightforward.

Each rebel level is worth 3 income. Soldier liason is worth 3 as well and also adds 5% per rank. A SGT is basically matching the bonus of a scientist/engineer in their respective jobs. Depending on difficulty, faceless add a penalty of 3/5/6/7% each.

Without a liason, 6 rebels would generate 18 income per day. It takes 100 income to trigger the income event which then randomly picks your recruit. So you should get one every 6 days? With 2 faceless on legend this would drop it by 14% to 15.48 which would take 7 days.

There are settings in the configs called IncomePenaltyPerFaceless. This is commented out in the code itself and marked deprecated.

//var config float IncomePenaltyPerFaceless; // DEPRECATED -- may need to keep for compatibility
The old function was

DailyJobIncome = ((RebelLevels * JobTemplate.IncomePerRebel));// - (NumFaceless * JobTemplate.IncomePenaltyPerFaceless));
which is also got that part commented out.

Based on the numbers in the config, you would have 6 * 3 - 2 * 5 = 8. Taking 12.5 days to get a recruit. Also that NumFaceless variable was likely using GetNumFacelessOnJob which would have matched what you had seen before. Also it would depend on rebel levels as well.

Seems like the new system is a little more forgiving toward recruiting. I actually thought recruit would take longer than what these numbers are showing.

Also noticed something else when I was poking around. Rebels only level up at the supply drop update.
Flapdrol

Post by Flapdrol »

I run my high advent strength regions (Veteran/Ironman - your mileage on Legend will vary)
- with 11+ rebels: 4 intel, all others on supply
- with 8-10 rebels: 4 recruit, 4 intel, 0-2 supply
- with 0-7 rebels: 4 recruit, the rest in hiding

The rationale:
1) I don't care about supply retaliations, as they are very easy (basically free xp). I care very much about intel/recruit retals.,
2) I like having 4 intel to detect Troop Movements and Dark Event missions
3) If I run with 4 or 5 rebels and all others in hiding, the ones in hiding are worthless anyway, so long as I save a few from the full retaliation when it comes, I may as well get as much supply out of them as I can, unless......
4) I have only a few rebels (7 or less), and then there is no real gain in risking any retal just to employ a few extra rebels, so I hide all above 4

If I get hit with an Intel/Recruit retaliation anyway due to 2 Faceless, well, that's XCOM

If I recently cleaned out Faceless from a haven:
- with 11+ rebels: 5 intel, all others on supply
- with 8-10: 5 recruit, 3-5 intel
- with 0-7: 0-5 recruit, the rest in hiding
Alketi

Post by Alketi »

Flapdrol wrote:I run my high advent strength regions (Veteran/Ironman - your mileage on Legend will vary)
Seems like a decent strategy. In a 7 rebel region what's the rational for 4 recruit and hiding the rest, instead of putting the other 3 on supply or intel?
Flapdrol

Post by Flapdrol »

Alketi wrote:
Flapdrol wrote:I run my high advent strength regions (Veteran/Ironman - your mileage on Legend will vary)
Seems like a decent strategy. In a 7 rebel region what's the rational for 4 recruit and hiding the rest, instead of putting the other 3 on supply or intel?
Balancing risk and gain. The gain of having 3 rebels working is IMO less than the risk of a full retaliation. I rather wait until I have recruited to 8.

Why 7 and 8? Why not 6 or 9? It is a guesstimate....no special reason.
Goldenmonkey

Post by Goldenmonkey »

If I change my rebels job, will the progress be lost?

I am trying to generate as many GOps missions as possible early game, while recruiting as many rebels as possible.
Region A 4 rebels
Region B 8 Rebels.

Region A: all recruit
Region B: all intel, and Avenger scan

If I find 2 GOps in B ->
Region A: All intel + Avenger
Region B: All but one recruit, one on intel

Does this strategy makes sense? Will I lose progress if I change all of their jobs?

thanks!
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

The progress is not lost, but the days income is.

Other than missions, updates to jobs happen once per day, missions are every 6 hours. So If you switch from intel to recruit, the next daily update will produce nothing. And of course your not getting intel for missions going from recruit until the daily update ticks.

Now the question is, does the 2 GOP limit make it worth swapping to recruit for a minute then back, even though you lose 2 days of income. It might be worth it if you have a couple of 8+ day gops. But if they were 4-5 day gops it might not. There's probably a breakpoint in there somewhere that it becomes worth doing because you can possibly pickup an extra rebel that would compensate in the longer term. With something like this your really not looking at short term gain/loss but rather 2-3 month gain loss.

The easy part of the math is on the recruit side. It takes 100 income to pop the recruit event. A RebelLevel produces 3 per day and the soldier liaison produces 3. The liaison also adds a 1 + (0.05 * Rank) modifier, much like sci/engi. A SGT would get you 20%, MSGT 40% more.

With your example where you have 8 + liaison that's going to be at least 27 per day, more with rank and leveled up rebels. There's also the unknown of how many faceless are there. You'd probably assume 15% loss at least unless you were sure of no faceless.

I'll do some more math and code diving on this later to see if I can determine exactly how this is going to affect missions, or if it does at all. If it doesn't, this could be a really huge optimization.

That also gives me an idea for how to use info leaks to find faceless. Not exactly which rebels are, but if the haven has some. The recruit time should be predictable, there's no RNG.
Flapdrol

Post by Flapdrol »

chrisb wrote:That also gives me an idea for how to use info leaks to find faceless. Not exactly which rebels are, but if the haven has some. The recruit time should be predictable, there's no RNG.
After reading this, I suspect it will be random in 1.4, maybe already in 1.3 :mrgreen:
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

Flapdrol wrote:
chrisb wrote:That also gives me an idea for how to use info leaks to find faceless. Not exactly which rebels are, but if the haven has some. The recruit time should be predictable, there's no RNG.
After reading this, I suspect it will be random in 1.4, maybe already in 1.3 :mrgreen:
Maybe, I'm not really sure how feasible it is. And you'd also have to make similar changes to intel gathering as that has similar mechanics. Would require a lot of spreadsheet tracking.
Goldenmonkey

Post by Goldenmonkey »

Thanks for the info. Hm, I probably leave the guys on their job then and only switch the avenger. The avenger only gives intel, right?
If I have 4 Rebels, it means another Rebel every 6-7 days (depending on liason).
It would take about 20 days to go up to 8, if all the new ones got to recruit as well.
Alternatively, I could put the new ones on intel, together with the avenger, it might pop a rescue resistance personel mission. This would bring me to a general question, is it better to go recruit or intel and hope for rescue missions?
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

Goldenmonkey wrote:Thanks for the info. Hm, I probably leave the guys on their job then and only switch the avenger. The avenger only gives intel, right?
If I have 4 Rebels, it means another Rebel every 6-7 days (depending on liason).
It would take about 20 days to go up to 8, if all the new ones got to recruit as well.
Alternatively, I could put the new ones on intel, together with the avenger, it might pop a rescue resistance personel mission. This would bring me to a general question, is it better to go recruit or intel and hope for rescue missions?
That's a good question that seems to me to be situational. If you were to do no other missions and just fish for the Jailbreak it could be worth it. The RNG here is that you don't know how many rebels vs rookies you might get in either scenario. With the recruit option you know two things, your not going to increase strength and you have easy to compute RNG on how long to get rebels. If you go intel, assuming you don't do other missions like VIPs, then you won't get much increase in vig and can fish for the Jailbreak. If you did go that route, then as soon as the Jailbreak pops, you switch to recruit. I think the intel path only really works if you can afford the avenger and possibly a scientist to boost the odds. You'd also likely have to 'force fail' missions in that region once you get 2 of them. This is easy to do with evac with flare missions, but is a lot harder (although I have done it) with fixed evac. Otherwise you'd again just cut losses and go back to recruit.

There are other mechanics you can take into account as well. If there are VIP missions spawned in 2 other regions, then this region can't get one, so it increases the odds of getting Jailbreak over something else.

Overall, the recruit option requires the least thought and is somewhat predictable. The intel option requires avenger time, so is only really an option if you haven't get a much better place for the avenger to be at that time. At least have the avenger for long enough to get past the 'down payment' for Jailbreak.
stefan3iii

Post by stefan3iii »

If you have a high strength region with lots of rebels, just put them all on supply. A 13 rebel region will generate something like 300-500 supplies, depending on rebel level/radio tower/engineer. You'll also generate supply retaliations, which are super easy missions to farm XP.
Goldenmonkey

Post by Goldenmonkey »

chrisb wrote: That's a good question that seems to me to be situational. If you were to do no other missions and just fish for the Jailbreak it could be worth it. The RNG here is that you don't know how many rebels vs rookies you might get in either scenario. With the recruit option you know two things, your not going to increase strength and you have easy to compute RNG on how long to get rebels. If you go intel, assuming you don't do other missions like VIPs, then you won't get much increase in vig and can fish for the Jailbreak. If you did go that route, then as soon as the Jailbreak pops, you switch to recruit. I think the intel path only really works if you can afford the avenger and possibly a scientist to boost the odds. You'd also likely have to 'force fail' missions in that region once you get 2 of them. This is easy to do with evac with flare missions, but is a lot harder (although I have done it) with fixed evac. Otherwise you'd again just cut losses and go back to recruit.

There are other mechanics you can take into account as well. If there are VIP missions spawned in 2 other regions, then this region can't get one, so it increases the odds of getting Jailbreak over something else.

Overall, the recruit option requires the least thought and is somewhat predictable. The intel option requires avenger time, so is only really an option if you haven't get a much better place for the avenger to be at that time. At least have the avenger for long enough to get past the 'down payment' for Jailbreak.
It also depends if you have plenty of soldiers or not, or if you might even need the missions for xp. Overall, I think the intel approach might win.
BTW. Isn't the force fail strategy a waste of time? AFAIK, the cooldown starts, when the mission appears, not when you finish it. So it doesn't actually do you any good to finish it early. (aside from a possible xp bug for your rookies I read about)

E: I just checked. The same mission won't come back earlier, but you can get another GOps mission earlier. So it might be worth doing.
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

Goldenmonkey wrote:BTW. Isn't the force fail strategy a waste of time? AFAIK, the cooldown starts, when the mission appears, not when you finish it. So it doesn't actually do you any good to finish it early. (aside from a possible xp bug for your rookies I read about)

E: I just checked. The same mission won't come back earlier, but you can get another GOps mission earlier. So it might be worth doing.
It's worth doing for two reasons. If you get a GOP in a region that puts you at the global cap for that GOP type but you want the GOP in another region or if you want don't want any of the GOPs in the region currently and your at 2.

The craziest one I've done so far was a get attention hostile VIP. It had something like a 10 day timer on it in March, didnt really want the vig at that point. The mission had close to 40 aliens on it, but wasn't as hard as I thought it would be since most of the ayys actually just swarmed around the VIP. Walked the map edge, and pulled almost the whole map sprinting to the evac on my last move, including a bunch of faceless, fun times!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

So what would be the more more effective strategy? Keeping threat level below Severe, to prevent super reinforcements, or keeping it as high as possible, to slow down the avatar project? Both are kinda doom counters in their own right.

I am still very early in the campaign, and hit severe after liberating my home country, and it's been there since. I can see the legions skyrocket and it kinda makes me feel nervous. But it's too early to decide whether either strength or doom counters are going to be a problem, hence the question.

Edit: spun this question off into its own thread after noticing this thread is more about individual region strength/vigilance. New thread is here:
http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... 16&t=25698
DonCrabio

Post by DonCrabio »

I have strange problem. In my starting region I done all missions until advent strength raised to 4 here, after that I left 4 ppl on intel and stopped all other activities. Since then I done maybe 1 mission per month in this region, darkevents mostly. It was 4 months ago, now advent have 9 strength here, and I don't know why. They ignore other regions and reinforce this one heavily.

This is unfortunate, because this one have borders with both of my liberated regions, I'm really don't want to fight invasions.
hewhoispale

Post by hewhoispale »

DonCrabio wrote:I have strange problem. In my starting region I done all missions until advent strength raised to 4 here, after that I left 4 ppl on intel and stopped all other activities. Since then I done maybe 1 mission per month in this region, darkevents mostly. It was 4 months ago, now advent have 9 strength here, and I don't know why. They ignore other regions and reinforce this one heavily.

This is unfortunate, because this one have borders with both of my liberated regions, I'm really don't want to fight invasions.
There appears to be some mechanic that will cause strength build up in regions adjacent to liberated regions. Functionally, ADVENT knows they need a bunch of strength near a liberated region to invade it.
I don't believe the mechanics for this build up is well understood yet, or how ADVENT prioritizes reinforcing regions with respect to this. You'll need to run regular troop columns on adjacent regions to keep invasions in check.
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

hewhoispale wrote: There appears to be some mechanic that will cause strength build up in regions adjacent to liberated regions. Functionally, ADVENT knows they need a bunch of strength near a liberated region to invade it.
I don't believe the mechanics for this build up is well understood yet, or how ADVENT prioritizes reinforcing regions with respect to this. You'll need to run regular troop columns on adjacent regions to keep invasions in check.
There are other reasons for ADVENT to just build up and not go away in a region too. Just because ADVENT strength only reached 4 before he stopped doing a lot of missions there doesn't mean vigilance was only 4 there. It could well have been 20. Vigilance decays at a rate of 1 per week, so after 4 months he's only lost 12 vigilance total (or only 8 if he's run a mission a month!). In the meantime, ADVENT has been pumping troops into the region.

At some point, vigilance may have gone below his ADVENT Strength, but that just means they will stop adding new legions. It doesn't meant that ADVENT is going to move those troops again. They have to have a reason to move those troops.

I agree that he needs to disrupt ADVENT in that region if he wants to avoid Invasions in his liberated regions. He should have all his rebels on Intel to detect supply raids and troop columns and wreck their power base there.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Say, once I do have a strength 7+ region (Old Age in OP), what do I do with it? The Op says it doesn't matter much, but I do have 13+ rebels in there and would really like to know what to have them do. I need a little intel to find troop columns, but what else do I do with the rebels?