Temporary solution of Solace bug

IslamDunk

Temporary solution of Solace bug

Post by IslamDunk »

There is a bug that prevent a Psi Operative from leveling up once they finished learning Solace.

1. Exit the game.
2. In the Steam Workshop, Install RealityMachina's LW2 PsiOp BugFix.
3. Activate the mod, launch the game and load the save file.
4. Press ~ Button, and it will open up the Command Console.

And now there is command that grants a specific soldier an ability, but it requires a specific value that is distributed to that soldier and that is ObjectID. We need to find the ObjectID first.

5. Type one of these commands into the Command Console;
GetAll XComGameState_Unit strNickName
or
GetAll XComGameState_Unit strFirstName
or
GetAll XComGameState_Unit strLastName
(You can copy these letters and paste them at the Command Console. I chose strNickName simply because the nicknames of each soldier has more impression and easier to remember than their name.)

and you will see a list contained of numerous infos and amongst them, you will see the nicknames that either is given by the game itself or given by yourself. Scroll your mouse wheel to find the specific soldier's nickname.

6. Note the XCom GameState_Unit value, typed next to the strNickName value that has the specific soldier's nickname.

7. Type this command into the Command Console;
GetAll XComGameState_Unit ObjectID

and again you will see a list contained of numerous infos and amongst them, you will see a lot of XComGameState_Unit values that also contains the noted XComGameState_Unit for your soldier. Scroll your mouse wheel to find the specific soldier's XComGameState_Unit value.

8. Note the ObjectID value, typed next to the XComGameState_Unit value.

Since we have found the ObjectID value for your bugged Psi Operative soldier, now it is time to fix it.

9. Type SelectSoldierProgressionAbility ObjectID iSoldierRank iBranch.
First, type the ObjectID value that you just noted.
Then, iSoldierRank is the value that holds an ability's rank matched to the soldier's rank.
Acolyte has a number of 1 and it scales up from there. Since the Solace is an Adept ability, you need to type 2.
And last, iBranch is the value that hold's an ability's branch position.
Left branch has a number of 0 and it scales up from there.
Solace is seemed to be a right branch ability, but in fact it is a middle branch ability. So you need to type 1, not 2.

10. Press enter.

11. Done!

----- Example ------

My soldier Vanya "Freak" Zaytsev just got bugged as soon as he finished learning Solace.

1. Exit the game.
2. In the Steam Workshop, Install RealityMachina's LW2 PsiOp BugFix.
3. Activate the mod, launch the game and load the save file.
4. Press ~ Button, and it will open up the Command Console.
5. Type this commands into the Command Console;
GetAll XComGameState_Unit strNickName
6. I found the nickname value that says Freak. Note the XCom GameState_Unit value 22327, typed next to the strNickName.
7. Type this command into the Command Console;
GetAll XComGameState_Unit ObjectID
8. I found the XComGameState_Unit value that says 22327. Note the ObjectID value, typed next to the XComGameState_Unit value.
9. Type SelectSoldierProgressionAbility 22327 2 1.
10. Press enter.
11. Done!

Please tell me if this solution has any errors.
Lyzak

Re: Temporary solution of Solace bug

Post by Lyzak »

Which version of Solace caused this bug? You may know that currently Psi Ops still sometimes roll the old version of Solace (because the game still has it as a prerequisite for Bastion) despite there being a new version of the ability since the 1.3 patch.
IslamDunk

Post by IslamDunk »

I started my campaign at 1.4, so the Solace that caused the issue must be the version of 1.4.
Lyzak

Post by Lyzak »

No, both versions of the ability are available as of both 1.3 and 1.4. The only real way of knowing is to read the text of the ability in the training menu.
IslamDunk

Post by IslamDunk »

In my case;

before the soldier chose to learn Solace, the description did not have any bizarre contents. It is the ordinary description that no one could suspect a bug from.

when my soldier finished learning Solace, a UI window with the messages missing 'LocFriendlyName and Missing 'LocLongDescription' for ability None poped up. After confirming that, I initially accessed my soldier's loadout overview menu and found out that he did not have Solace with any other abilities he had. Then I checked Psi Ability menu; the Solace, which should have been unlocked, wasn't.

After I resolved the bug by using the SelectSoldierProgressionAbility command, the soldier gained the Solace ability, and in the Psi Ability menu for that soldier, Solace was unlocked.
nmkaplan

Post by nmkaplan »

Lyzak's point is that there are two versions of solace in the game with two different descriptions:

The bugged one is the "old" version, and its description says something about passively projecting an aura that immediately extinguishes mental effects. This ability was causing tons of problems in 1.2, so it was replaced with a "new" ability in 1.3.

The "new" description just says something like "The PsiOp can activate this ability to immediately extinguish a mental effect of a nearby ability."

The bug comes from the fact that Bastion still has the "old" version as a prereq, and so if your PsiOp rolls Bastion, then you end up needing to train "old Solace" and get the bugged behavior you described and fixed.

The description of "old Solace" doesn't have any obvious buggy contents, but can be recognized once you know about the bug if you know what to look for (ie. a description of a passive aura vs. a description of an activated ability)
IslamDunk

Post by IslamDunk »

So, is this the right understanding of the current Solace bug?
Lyzak

Post by Lyzak »

IslamDunk wrote:So, is this the right understanding of the current Solace bug?
That's approximately accurate, yes. The only thing I don't know for sure is what happens to the ability descriptions after the abilities are learned. Though it wouldn't surprise me if that's true, that the old Solace no longer has localization and therefore can't be "seen" after you learn it.
Morningkill

Post by Morningkill »

I can fix my solder, but they are still stuck at bastion, the training window shows no choice for the next rank...