Do retaliations have a cost for Advent?

Matlocko

Do retaliations have a cost for Advent?

Post by Matlocko »

So I had a period of 4 retaliations within 5 days or so (full retal, recruit, supply, intel) and luckily I got Mag weapons in time and my A-team was ready to beat these missions in one swoop (great xp, although recruit retal with str 5 was scary).

So...since normal missions cause vigilance (which in turn causes aliens to focus on moving units instead of building avatar project) is this also the case with retals or should I just be happy that I managed to plow through these missions? I guess there might be a fairly long cooldown until the next retal pops up?
bountygiver

Re: Do retaliations have a cost for Advent?

Post by bountygiver »

nothing really have cost to advent because there's no more alien resources, things are purely based on vigilance and force level now.

the only "cost" is their activity limit so they can't do UFO reinforce if they are trying to do a retaliation. But the activities they overwrite can be ufo or troop transfer which both benefits the player so it's not a real cost.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

The "cost" to advent is facing higher level XCOM troopers for the next mission ;)
Matlocko wrote:So...since normal missions cause vigilance (which in turn causes aliens to focus on moving units instead of building avatar project) is this also the case with retals or should I just be happy that I managed to plow through these missions? I guess there might be a fairly long cooldown until the next retal pops up?
No retaliations don't increase vigilance to prevent endless vigilance spikes.
There is a cooldown thought i don't think it's global so you could see more retaliations in other regions but you won't see them in those regions for some time.
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

Retaliations all occur based on how much activity is occuring in the world and how well advent can detect it. You got super unlucky and filled every activity bucket nearly simultaneously (which is hard because the buckets are all different sizes!). On the positive side, this means it'll be a while until any more retaliations come, because advent has to fill their buckets again before they can launch a new one.
Enenion

Post by Enenion »

I kind of feel that when Advent fails a retaliation they should lose some Advent Strength in the region. It makes sense thematically that if they're committing a large portion of their troops to an objective they should be penalized somewhat if they don't succeed in their mission. I know I've had some Supply retaliations in 1.4 where I killed more aliens than a Troop Column or Supply Raid. But on the other hand, if retaliations are a good way to decrease Advent Strength of a region it kind of makes you want to avoid them less.