Number of Missions to get Promotions; Possible Other Mod Bug?

Jacke

Number of Missions to get Promotions; Possible Other Mod Bug?

Post by Jacke »

How many missions does it take your Squaddies, LCpls, and Cpls (and up) get their next promotion?

I have never run a successful mission and NOT had every Squaddie, LCpl, and Cpl get a promotion. Only by the time I get Sgts does it take more than 1 mission to get a promotion.

Note this is NOT the LW2 pre v1.3 bug. As far as I can tell, that only affected Black Market soldiers and maybe soldiers freed in Jailbreaks.

This is about soldiers not from those sources pre v1.3. And this is still happening to me in a v1.4 Legendary campaign. I completely cleaned out my profile config and redownloaded LW2 fresh for v1.4.

I am not farming reinforcements. This is with about 4 to 7 soldiers on Extremely Light or rarely Very Light missions. No more than 1 or 2 Zombies and/or Turrets killed and at most 2 to 3 reinforcements killed, but not every mission and not necessarily with the map cleared.

Is this normal? That the Officer Skill Lead By Example got added in v1.4 makes me think is isn't.

Because of the pre v1.3 bug in LW2, I would imagine that the whole experience system got a good look while it was being fixed. So I don't think it's LW2.

So that means one of my mods is causing it.

Has anyone else noticed this and tracked it down to a source?
bountygiver

Re: Number of Missions to get Promotions; Possible Other Mod Bug?

Post by bountygiver »

mission completion exp is HUGE compared to kill exp. Especially when advent strength grows and there are more enemies on the map.

It's normal for soldiers before sergeant to rank up very quickly when advent strength grows as long as your squad isn't too large.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

Thanks for replying, bountygiver. Having some problems getting into the swing of things with the new campaign to see if Cpls and under still always get promoted. Due to unrelated issues I'm going to restart it tomorrow.
bountygiver wrote:mission completion exp is HUGE compared to kill exp. Especially when advent strength grows and there are more enemies on the map.
This is in March and April with Extremely Light (6 to 9 enemies, never more than about 2 or 3 reinforcements) and about 4 to 6 XCOM soldiers. I was watching the start of Xwynns latest campaign and on 2035 Apr 1 he had 2 LCpl and a Cpl come back from a mission without promotion (5 total with a Squaddie and a Rookie) . Here's the video cued at just before the After Action Report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jeMxLV ... 3&t=26m50s

I've never had a LCpl or Cpl not get promoted from a successful mission. Never finished a campaign but have gotten well into Summer. Some of that in pre-1.3 could have been due to the LW2 bug (fixed in 1.3+) affecting soldiers from the Black Market and sometimes elsewhere, but not all of them. And certainly not in 1.4, especially 2 Sgts getting SSgt after one mission, which I've never seen before.

Right now it looks like I don't need the Officer perk Trial By Fire. Is there a time in the campaign when it's needed to have Cpls and lower to be sure of promotion after say a 8-soldier Ext Light training mission ?
orion_winterfire

Post by orion_winterfire »

Another potential factor to consider is xp overflow. By default, a soldier can earn any amount of xp on a mission but can only rank up once. Some of those soldiers could be going into a mission already having enough xp to level.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

orion_winterfire wrote:Another potential factor to consider is xp overflow.
Thanks for mentioning that, dude. I think that was the problem wlth the LW2 bugs back in pre-1.3: the soldiers would get a pile of xp overflow and it would keep going because of the bug. To be sure, I'd have to study the XCOM 2 XP system and how LW2 mods it, then use some console commands to look under the hood.