Lily Shen and the Trial of Unstaffed Engineers

whitelion1284

Lily Shen and the Trial of Unstaffed Engineers

Post by whitelion1284 »

I've cleared out all of the compartments and now have a number of unstaffed engineers. I currently don't have the money to build anything. As a result every 2nd or 3rd time that I exit the geoscape Lily Shen is nagging me about her engineers. It's gotten to the point where I want to stuff her in a cargo crate and jettison the crate over the Bermuda triangle.

While it's on fire.

Seriously! Is there any way to get this woman to just STFU?

Err... apologies for the melodrama. :oops:
wobuffet

Re: Lily Shen and the Trial of Unstaffed Engineers

Post by wobuffet »

This issue (Engineer unemployment) came up in another thread and I tried to brainstorm some ideas there:
http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... 928#p46928
whitelion1284

Post by whitelion1284 »

All I want is for that woman to stop nagging me. I've been married several times and have a PTSD level aversion to being nagged. I don't like Lily Shen to begin with. The tone of her voice puts me off. To have her routinely, endlessly nagging me about things that I either can't do anything about or am just about to get to makes me wish that I could fire her, throw her from the ship... and maybe set her on fire. I just can't stand it. I have actually reached the point where I hate Lily Shen nearly as much as I did Kelly Chambers in ME2... which is quite a statement, actually.
cryptc

Post by cryptc »

It doesn't happen for me, so it must be one of the reduce voice over type mods that stop it, probably this one:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =620600092
whitelion1284

Post by whitelion1284 »

Thanks cryptc, but I use Stop Wasting My Time already, and this is a geoscape / Avenger issue. Was that the link you meant to send? Cos if I can get her to be silent it would literally make my week.
JulianSkies

Post by JulianSkies »

I really can't understand how those voice clips even register in people's hearing anymore after all this time, you're not even the first one I see complaining
DerAva

Post by DerAva »

I've only ever seen or heard these notifications if there is either a not excavated slow in the Avenger or an open slot for an engineer in one of your buildings. She doesn't nag if you simply have open building slots and are not building anything.
whitelion1284

Post by whitelion1284 »

Oh she drives me crazy.

As for under what conditions she nags me: I have empty compartments that I could build in IF I had the money. I don't. So I can't build. I was also in the process of excavating the last compartment but already had 3 engineers assigned. There was literally nothing for me to assign engineers to. Since then I have assigned every HUMAN engineer to a post on the avenger, while all of the workshop gremlins are doing nothing. Once I liberate some regions I'll start assigning engineers as advisors. But it seems that as long as every one of her precious engineers are assigned Lily will leave me alone. But, I tell yah, I still want to throw her from an airlock.
whitelion1284

Post by whitelion1284 »

I doubt I'll ever get to the point where I'm ready to go to that extreme. If I could find the two specific nag files associated with Lily and remove the nags associated with unstaffed engineers and her telling me I should build more I might just do it. But I like the rest of the game. Bradford hasn't irritated me since my battles with EXALT when playing long war. (Yes, Bradford. I KNOW, Bradford...) These days he doesn't really bother me. (Watch. My next post will be about how annoying Bradford is during some nonsense or another.) But LILY?! Ugh. I don't even know why she rubs me so wrong. I just can't stand her.
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

DerAva wrote:I've only ever seen or heard these notifications if there is either a not excavated slow in the Avenger or an open slot for an engineer in one of your buildings. She doesn't nag if you simply have open building slots and are not building anything.
I've excavated everything, upgraded and filled up all available slots in buildings I've constructed, and I still get nagged about this. I've actually taken to leaving the Workshop Gremlins idle just so I can put engineers to work in the slots they would otherwise use. (I still have engineers in the workshop, making the gremlins available, mind you.)

Unless you meant having empty (excavated) spaces waiting for a room to be built would also trigger this - I do still have a couple of those in my current campaign. If that's the case, then I greatly look forward to the day I can build stuff in those three remaining slots. As it stands, the only things I can build are power plants and resistance comms, neither of which do I actually need more of right now. (Waiting on research/plot to make more useful rooms available for construction.)
DerAva

Post by DerAva »

Hm, weird. Do you have a scientist in your AWC? Since that's an Engineer slot in vanilla maybe she will nag you if that slot is empty and you have injured soldiers. I've never had that voice alert without a good reason so far, and most of the time I really appreciate that reminder if I forgot to assign something.
whitelion1284

Post by whitelion1284 »

DerAva wrote:Hm, weird. Do you have a scientist in your AWC?
I do, yes. I'm also in the same sitch as the fellow above me. I have excavated everything but have not filled in all the spaces with facilities. If I have any unstaffed engineers I shortly find myself wanting to shoot Lily Shen.

In the face.
Zyrrashijn

Post by Zyrrashijn »

That's a good reason to liberate more regions, isn't it?
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

DerAva wrote:Hm, weird. Do you have a scientist in your AWC?
Yes, I do.
Maebalzurakin

Post by Maebalzurakin »

I personally think we should be able to drop 10 engineers in a liberated territory and put them to work making widgets.

Seems a bit silly to me to only be able to put 1 guy (soldier/scientist/engineer) in a territory.
whitelion1284

Post by whitelion1284 »

I want to set Lily Shen on fire. I have 1 unstaffed engineer. There is NOTHING for me to do with him. I'm not about to assign him to a haven because I only have one liberated region and I'm not even sure that one is free of faceless. Every 3rd time I leave the geoscape Shen gives me the LECTURE. "I appreciate you looking for help with the engineering team, Commander, but we currently have unstaffed engineers. We can put them to work... yada yada yada yada yada yada" ... and it always sounds like she's implying I'm being negligent in my duties.

I hate her. I hate her so so so so sooooo much. Please, anyone, is there a way to make her STFU? Cos this is seriously disturbing my calm.
JulianSkies

Post by JulianSkies »

Ahahaha, oh man you have one free engineer... That's cute.
I got eight. There's no hope of employing all of them at any point in time (very late game Commander game)
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

whitelion1284 wrote:I want to set Lily Shen on fire. I have 1 unstaffed engineer. There is NOTHING for me to do with him. I'm not about to assign him to a haven because I only have one liberated region and I'm not even sure that one is free of faceless. Every 3rd time I leave the geoscape Shen gives me the LECTURE. "I appreciate you looking for help with the engineering team, Commander, but we currently have unstaffed engineers. We can put them to work... yada yada yada yada yada yada" ... and it always sounds like she's implying I'm being negligent in my duties.
Here's what I do (since, as anyone following the thread knows, I have the same issues with Lily):

When I liberate region, I immediately put everyone there on Supply and change the advisor to an engineer (lord knows I have enough of them kicking around the Avenger - Lily won't let me forget!) I don't gather supplies in non-Liberated regions, after having liberated my first region. (Actually, I usually don't gather supplies at all before liberating the first, because I have enough to scrape by the early game from clearing out the Avenger and whatever I get from ops. Smash and Grabs have really helped out, too, since moving up to 1.4)

If I see supplies being lost to "unknown source" at the end of a given month, I know there's a Faceless in one of my liberated regions, and I change things up to deal with it. (It's usually pretty easy to tell which one it is, since I rarely liberate more than one new region per month.) If I don't see that loss, I know all my currently Liberated regions are faceless-free and good to go. Because everyone is on supply, if even a single faceless were in there, I'd see that loss.

Non-liberated regions ALWAYS have a solider advisor anyway, so if there are faceless in those regions, they'll be rooted out in due time.

TLDR: Put the engineers to work wherever you can. Worry about faceless in a liberated region after you know there's one there.
Zork

Post by Zork »

It's bizarre Lily is very nice with me and never bother me because of unused engineers. And it was before adding any mod (same after add some).

Im' wondering did I mentally blocked her whining up to not hear it? Or it could be because I have all DLC.
NOT a tactical/strategy expert player, playing LW2 at Easy. Rather old so I appreciate not be bothered by excessive familiarity, I'm not your friend and will never be. Refuse to learn English well so don't attempt learn it to me, thank you. :-)
bountygiver

Post by bountygiver »

Zork wrote:It's bizarre Lily is very nice with me and never bother me because of unused engineers. And it was before adding any mod (same after add some).

Im' wondering did I mentally blocked her whining up to not hear it? Or it could be because I have all DLC.
you block that by having no active reaserch or low income

also this bug is due to the trigger for this message is if you have any unstaffed engineers, regardless of staff slots available.
Zork

Post by Zork »

bountygiver wrote:
Zork wrote:It's bizarre Lily is very nice with me and never bother me because of unused engineers. And it was before adding any mod (same after add some).

you block that by having no active reaserch or low income

also this bug is due to the trigger for this message is if you have any unstaffed engineers, regardless of staff slots available.
I checked so I'm sure it's not because I mentally blocked Lily whining when an engineer isn't staffed, Lily is just cool with me. :-)

I checked all options and couldn't find any linked, I tried change a few and quick test (not staffed engineer, go to planet-scape, come back to ship) and it changed nothing. In case I'm wrong and had Lily shut up only since I added mods, I could provide a list but it's not short, and I don't see any that could be linked with that. Bizarre.
NOT a tactical/strategy expert player, playing LW2 at Easy. Rather old so I appreciate not be bothered by excessive familiarity, I'm not your friend and will never be. Refuse to learn English well so don't attempt learn it to me, thank you. :-)
whitelion1284

Post by whitelion1284 »

Yeah, I don't know. I have all of the disable VO mods (except quiet Bradford as, oddly enough, he doesn't bother me... in Xcom2 anyway). But Lily nags me constantly. I'm seriously considering unpacking the game, finding Lily's sound files and just deleting them. I absolutely despise her. She's ALMOST as bad as Kelly Chambers a la Mass Effect 2. Err.. almost. But seriously, it is ruining the game for me. I've gotten to the point where I won't take LIBERATION missions if the reward is an engineer.
Zork

Post by Zork »

Mmm I really wonder if it's not a mod that bugs. I think I get this Lily new behavior after I have installed all DLC, Anarchy and I like it a lot ha ha, Alien hunters, Shen's Last Gift. I think I had others at my old plays and had the bothering Lily.

Or I did a manual patch and forgot because I didn't play the game a long time before to try the DLC and after LW2.