Recovery

Jammer Six

Recovery

Post by Jammer Six »

Can you recover from a mistake?

Can you lose an entire squad, or have a run of losses, and still come back to win? Or is it over the first time you take a casualty?
Steelflame

Re: Recovery

Post by Steelflame »

You can afford a squad wipe assuming you don't fall for the vanilla problem of "level only 1, maybe 2, squads up"

I'll frequently have 3-4 active squads of A team quality people.

If I were to lose one such squad, I'd split the remaining 3 squads up into 4 squads, and give them all a B team squad member or two.

I'll frequently maintain a roster of 20 individuals in the early game of highly invested peeps, and 30-40 in the lategame.
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

Agree with Steel - Long War encourages you to build a deep roster of soldiers, not just level up one full squad worth. As long as you do that, you can recover from most losses. It might take some time, mind you - setbacks is setbacks - but you should be able to keep going.

In my last play-through I had about five 5-6 man squads who worked together consistently, and each squad would pull in floaters if there were extra spots or squad members wounded, to keep my whole roster leveling constantly. (I didn't generally take missions that were so short on time that squad size became a limiting factor, unless it was a really important one.)

I didn't actually suffer any major squad wipes, but whenever one soldier was KIA, I had another of the same class in the "extras" that I could drop into the squad who wasn't usually too far behind in ranks.
Steelflame

Post by Steelflame »

Steve-O wrote:Agree with Steel - Long War encourages you to build a deep roster of soldiers, not just level up one full squad worth. As long as you do that, you can recover from most losses. It might take some time, mind you - setbacks is setbacks - but you should be able to keep going.

In my last play-through I had about five 5-6 man squads who worked together consistently, and each squad would pull in floaters if there were extra spots or squad members wounded, to keep my whole roster leveling constantly. (I didn't generally take missions that were so short on time that squad size became a limiting factor, unless it was a really important one.)

I didn't actually suffer any major squad wipes, but whenever one soldier was KIA, I had another of the same class in the "extras" that I could drop into the squad who wasn't usually too far behind in ranks.
Yep. I'd try to keep at least 2-3 of each major build type decently leveled.