Suggestion: Range aim bonus tweaks (quadratic, with graphs)

Arantir

Suggestion: Range aim bonus tweaks (quadratic, with graphs)

Post by Arantir »

Hello there. I'll just get straight to the point.
I believe that the range bonuses in XCOM 2 are kinda too harsh and combined with LW2 graze mechanics it makes killing stuff at close range too unrealiable. Going for a close range flanking shot with a low ranked/low aim soldier is too much of a gamble in comparison to XCOM 1 and I'm not sure that it benefits the gameplay, point-blank failure leaves you exposed so you kinda forced just to take more nades and throwing nades doesn't require a lot of strategic thinking like optimal close-range engagement.

Here is an experimental compromise between X2 and X1. I also think it makes sense for the aim bonus to be more of a quadratic function than linear and difference between something like point-blank and 1 tile away should be lower. Since we have individual properties for every distance in tiles I manually picked the numbers to make it look like a quadratic function.

Blue - LW 1, Red - LW 2 (1.1), Green - Suggested;

It's mostly a buff to an assault rifle with +10% to hit at point-blank, yet with the addition of graze band the chance to deal base damage remains kinda like in vanilla X2. Keep in mind it's also applied to the enemies.

We see that shotguns recieved the biggest accuracy nerf in comparison to XCOM 1. I agree that they were a little OP and your LW1 colonels could easily oblitereate things at medium range with juicy aim bonuses within 10 tiles, but why nerfing the initial point-blank capability? Nothing feels worse than a shotgun right in the face miss. :(

Sniper rifle close-range penalties are not a big deal since it's relatively rare to make any difference and if there is an enemy near your sharpshoter who can't be killed with the rest of your squad - you've got better things to do with your sniper than firing primary.

A little bit steeper curve than assault rifle, also higher penalty at max range.

A middleground with max bonus close to assault rifle at 5 tiles & higher point-blank penalty.

I tweaked theese values in my .ini and now I'm a happier person, but it worth to suggest cause I feel like it makes LW2 experiense a little bit better. I'll attach the tweaked file if anyone wants to try (replace XComGameData_WeaponData in XComGame\Mods\LW_Owerhaul\Config).
Attachments
XComGameData_WeaponData.zip
(10.14 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
Last edited by Arantir on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manifest

Re: Suggestion: Range aim bonus tweaks (+ graphs)

Post by Manifest »

I also feel like shotguns were too heavily nerfed from Vanilla 2 (rather than from XCOM 1) .

I understand that they were just way better than rifles in Vanilla but right now even at close range they're usually worse than a rifle (except at very close). I feel like they're more inaccurate than rifles even at ranges i would call close and I just don't think that's necessary with the amount of pods you can activate in lw2 by fighting at close.
Arantir

Re: Suggestion: Range aim bonus tweaks (+ graphs)

Post by Arantir »

Manifest wrote:I feel like they're more inaccurate than rifles even at ranges i would call close and I just don't think that's necessary with the amount of pods you can activate in lw2 by fighting at close.
Yeah, assault rifles basically have a better accuracy than shotguns at 5 tiles distance (12 vs 8) and at 4 tiles shotguns are just a tiny bit better (16 vs 14). It means that optimal range for a shotgun is 1-3 tiles and that's pretty restrictive. I made it so the shotgun advantage begins to grow up at 5 tiles (16 vs 19) and at 4 tiles there's at least considerable bonus over AR (21 vs 31).
code99

Re: Suggestion: Range aim bonus tweaks (quadratic, with graphs)

Post by code99 »

Yeah flanking in LW2 isnt that great anymore and in a lot of cases not worth doing because you will just miss a lot of time, even at very close range.

The removal of aiming angles makes this even worse. Thus, i installed this mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =851054875 and im happy again. Things working as they should now.

Wish LW2 would do something like this so i dont need to rely on lots of other mods to make things proper (proper to my eyes mind you).