Tips on changing existing gameplay

For technical discussions and help
Amineri

Tips on changing existing gameplay

Post by Amineri »

There seems to be good progress being made with adding new stuff to the game, like flags, tattoos, etc, but a recurring question I'm seeing is "how do I change XXX in the game?", which is a different sort of question.

In the old EU/EW days, we'd simply hack into the hex and make the change directly to the XComGame.upk. However, given how amazingly popular (/s) that was, I don't think we'll be going to that as the default method for XCOM 2. ^_^

I'll list below the tools I've found for changing existing gameplay, in rough order of increasing complexity. As others get found/added, I'll try and keep the list updated.

----------------------

1) Configuration files

Config files are those files that end in *.ini. If the thing you want to change has a configuration variable that controls it, you're in luck! These are the easiest things of all to change.

To change your own game, you can directly edit the "Default" version of the config file in the XComGame/Config/ folder, but be warned that updates from Firaxis may well overwrite your changes.

To make a mod that applies config changes, create a mod with the SDK, and create a new file in the Config folder, named the same as the file you want to change, but with the "Default" prefix changed to "XCom", then use this info (https://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ConfigurationFiles.html) to control adding and removing lines during merge with the Default version.

--------------------

2) Kismet files

If the thing you want to change is handled in Kismet (e.g. Mission timers), then you can find the appropriate *.umap file with the Kismet, make your changes, then add the modified version to your mod project's Content folder, and the mod version will override the one in the game.

Pretty simple, but not quite as easy as config files

---------------

3) Class overrides

If you've gotten down here, the easy times are over. This requires some programming abilities.

XCOM 2 allows overriding classes when they are created at run-time using new or Spawn. (New is for things derived from Object, Spawn for things derived from Actor). This leaves out a few things, such as archetypes and game states, so it won't work for everything.

To override a class, add the following to an XComEngine.ini config file in your mod:

Code: Select all

[Engine.Engine]
+ModClassOverrides=(BaseGameClass="ABaseClassName", ModClass="YourModClassName")
The mod class needs to extend the original base game class, using standard OOP inheritence techniques.

I've listed this at #3 in difficulty, since it's not too hard, but it's not good for mod compatibility, since only one mod can overwrite a particular class. Since the overrides are in a dynamic array, I'm supposing that it's the first one in the array that the native override code handles, so it's whatever mod that gets loaded first that succeeds at the class override.

------------------

4) UIScreenListener

Despite the name UIScreenListeners can be used for more than just making UI changes. UIScreenListener is a class implemented by Firaxis, which you can create a child class of. The UIScreenListener gets assigned a UIScreen in default properties that determines when the listener is called. If you leave that at none, it will be invoked for every UIScreen.

A good example of how to use this is the base game UIStrategyScreenListener. As in that example, you can simply drop some code into the OnInit() event and it will run at least once, and in fact will run whenever a new UIScreen is created, so it's a bit like polling, but controlled by the rate of user UI navigation.

------------------

5) X2EventManager events

Next up is using an event that's already triggered. EventIDs are names, and events are triggered with code that looks like :
`X2EVENTMRG.TriggerEvent('UnitMoveFinished', UnitState, UnitState, NewGameState);
The primary restriction here is that if the function you want to hook into doesn't have a TriggerEvent, there's not much you can do about that. We're limited by the number of TriggerEvent calls added to the base game code.

The other tricky bit here is that you have to have something already created to listen to the event. I generally use either a class override or a UIScreenListener to initially instance a game state, but this can also be put into template delegate code (effects, abilities, etc). Once you have that, you can register to listen to the event with code like :

Code: Select all

local Object ThisObj;

ThisObj = self;
`X2EVENTMGR.RegisterForEvent(ThisObj, 'UnitMoveFinished', OnUnitMoveFinished);

function EventListenerReturn OnUnitMoveFinished(Object EventData, Object EventSource, XComGameState GameState, Name EventID)
{
    // YOUR CODE GOES HERE
    return ELR_NoInterrupt;
}
You'll going to want to have your EventListener handler in a gamestate. Gamestates are automatically serialized/deserialized when saving/loading, and as a bonus any registered events are also handled.

-------------------------

6) Total Replacement

This is the end of the line. You couldn't do anything else, so now you have to compile the entire XComGame.upk and replace the whole thing.

If you start a DefaultMod, all of the XComGame class files get copied into your mod, so you can just edit them there. When you build, you'll get a new XComGame.u. Unfortunately, that's not the final step, as that has to go through cooking before it can be used in a mod. Cooking isn't part of the regular build process, because it takes a long time. There is a way to run the game uncooked, but that's going to be mostly for development (performance is much worse, and it's really tough to distribute).

The really major downside of total replacement is that only one mod can do it.

For those of you who want to see how to run uncooked, I'll include the info in spoiler below:
Spoiler: show
Setting up uncooked build manually

The following steps details how to set up XCOM 2 to use all uncooked assets, including an uncooked XComGame.u replacement created using the XCOM 2 SDK.

Building replacement XComGame.u
In ModBuddy, create a new mod
Select ‘DefaultMod’, name it as desired
All files in XComGame should be copied over into the mod
Modify game files as desired, build the mod
After building, the new XComGame.u will be in 3 locations
\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2 SDK\XComGame\Script
This is where the make command deposits script files after they are built
\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2 SDK\XComGame\Mods\TestFullConversion\Script
This is where the SDK CompileScript copies the XComGame.u within the SDK folder after make command completes
\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2\XComGame\Mods\TestFullConversion\Script
This is where the SDK CompileScript copies the full mod folder from the SDK to the actual game
For this process, we will be running using the file in location (a)

Configuring game to run uncooked

These steps set up the game to run using mostly assets and scripts from the SDK folder. To avoid a bunch of copying, symlinks are used. Information on symlinks, what they are, and how they can be set up can be found here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/co ... -or-linux/. Symlinks are similar to shortcuts, but operate at a “deeper” level, being completely transparent to applications.

To run XCOM 2 uncooked, 4 symlinks have to be created. A 5th optional one is required if running with a run-time debugger.

Launch a command prompt, in administrator mode
Create the symlinks with the following commands, filling out the correct paths
mklink /J "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2\XComGame\Content" "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2 SDK\XComGame\Content"
mklink /J "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2\XComGame\Script" "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2 SDK\XComGame\Script"
mklink /J "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2\Engine\Content" "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2 SDK\Engine\Content"
mklink /J "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2\Engine\EditorResources" "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2 SDK\Engine\EditorResources"
If running with a run-time debugger (more info later), create a symlink
mklink /J "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2\Development" "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2 SDK\Development"
Create a shortcut or batch file to run XCom2.exe found in D:\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2\Binaries\Win64 (or Win32 if running 32 bit version), running with the commandline argument -NOSEEKFREELOADING
Alternatively, enter the additional commandline argument within Steam, under Properties/General/Set Launch Options
Launch the game
It may take a few minutes to initially launch, as some shader caches will have to be rebuilt

Troubleshooting

After the symlinks are created, you should observe what appear to be folder shortcuts within the XComGame folder.

Note that unlike shortcuts, even though the linked folder is in the XCOM 2 SDK directory, even within Windows Explorer the directory appears to be located within the XCOM 2 directory.

Setting up run-time debugging
For run-time debugging I am currently using the debugger included here : https://github.com/Zinggi/UnrealScriptI ... 064%20bits

I downloaded the entire UnrealScriptIDE-master repository, but am currently only using the UnrealDebugger portion, although using the IDE in the future may be an avenue to explore.

After unpacking the UnrealScriptIDE, copy all *.dll files from \UnrealScriptIDE-master\Debugger\UnrealDebugger 64 bits\ into \Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2\Binaries\Win64.

After installing the UnrealDebugger files into the XCOM 2 game folder, launch the game in debug mode, either by launching from ModBuddy with Debug / Start Debugging (F5), or by launching the ModLauncher with either of the commands :
ModLauncherWPF.exe -allowconsole -log -autodebug
or
XCom2.Exe -allowconsole -log -autodebug -LANGUAGE=INT

In both cases the files run should be from the XCOM 2 (game) directory

However, currently the CompileScript in the SDK only builds .uc files without debugging enabled. Currently it is required to manually run the make command with the -debug commandline option in order to make .uc files that allow for run-time debugging using UnrealDebugger.

Running a make command manually involves executing the XComGame.exe in the XCOM 2 SDK directory (not game), with additional commandline arguments. A typical command looks like :
XComGame.exe make -nopause -mods LW_OfficerPack "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2 SDK\XComGame\Mods\LW_OfficerPack\"

Adding an additional commandline argument -debug to the make command above will build the scripts in run-time debug mode.

Note that this must be done instead of running a build or debug command within the ModBuddy Visual Studio Shell, as doing so will overwrite the .u files created via the manual make command. Doing this manually may require manually building the shader cache for the mod as well. A typical command for that is :
XComGame.exe precompileshaders -nopause platform=pc_sm4 DLC=LW_OfficerPack
lyravega

Re: Tips on changing existing gameplay

Post by lyravega »

#3... Man, that's such a tiny thing to NOT have any knowledge about.

I have this mod - Additional Proving Grounds Engineer. I've been bashing my head to my screen for like 2 days now. I've tried every trick I can think of to make the mod work persistently - it works, then it stops working for the following sessions. I guess this thing was the main reason. I never added anything to the .ini file; I hope this thing was the only thing missing, and adding it would solve my issues. If it solves my issue, you have my thanks. If it doesn't, well, I'll be around either way :)
rogersmithbigo

Re: Tips on changing existing gameplay

Post by rogersmithbigo »

where the heck do i go for editing the continent bonus deck and enabling them by default?