Long War 2 - Cutscene Design Choices - Feedback/Questions

Bantichai

Long War 2 - Cutscene Design Choices - Feedback/Questions

Post by Bantichai »

I know part of my discussion could be put in the modding forum, but I feel as if this can be classified as a question directed to the actual design of Long War 2, there are also a few other things I'd like to bring up.

1. In LW1 I believe you guys cut out the weapon production/intro cutscenes that play after a new weapon was built to make the experience more consistent since you guys also added new tiers of weapons, it would become jarring if some weapons got cutscenes and other didn't. Do the new laser/coil weapons have their own intro cutscenes or were all the cutscenes removed to make it more consistent? I would be fine with either way, as making cutscenes with VO wouldn't be easy however I cannot confirm as I haven't reached that point.

2. Squad send off cutscenes. The cutscene that plays just before you send a squad off, the one that shows the squad on the raised platform then they walk away and it transitions to the cutscene of the skyranger flying off. I've noticed that since LW2 supports 12 people, the front row had to be moved forward. Now however, the soldiers at the end of the ramp are not on the ramp, some are floating or standing with one foot on the ramp and one foot in the air. I think it would make more sense to just skip straight to the cutscene of the skyranger taking off, you also get the "squad walk in intro cutscene" when you go to squad view anyway.

3. Advent soldiers using XCOM Tier 2 weapons. I've noticed that the rocketeer and gunner use XCOM tier 2 weapons, have you guys considered adding weapons from the mod "Total Advent Weaponry" to LW2? The gunner could use the advent version of the cannon, there also smg's so perhaps the other new advent units could make use of those weapons, I think it would feel more consistent and less jarring to see the enemy use xcom's technology that hasn't even been researched by xcom yet, unless you go under the assumption that xcom imitated advent's technology to the T.

4. I feel that Avatars were sorely underused during the XCOM 2 campaign, I felt they were a unit that posed a challenge and would love to fight a squad of them. Have you considered perhaps implementing Avatars into the base campaign as well?

Cheers.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: Long War 2 - Cutscene Design Choices - Feedback/Questions

Post by johnnylump »

2) We're working on it.
3) We can't use someone else's mod. They'd have to sign the rights to their work over to us and by association 2K. We made a custom ADVENT grenade launcher but did not have the resources/time to build custom gunner/rocketeer weapons.
4) Who says we didn't?
Bantichai

Post by Bantichai »

Great to here that you guys are working on it and that makes sense now since I suppose it is more than "just a mod". In regards to the Avatar Squads is that a confirmation saying you guys have haha? If you have, that is great :D I wasn't sure as I hadn't gotten that far, is that a confirmation that Avatars will/or do appear in regular missions? :D
Sines

Post by Sines »

Bantichai wrote:Great to here that you guys are working on it and that makes sense now since I suppose it is more than "just a mod". In regards to the Avatar Squads is that a confirmation saying you guys have haha? If you have, that is great :D I wasn't sure as I hadn't gotten that far, is that a confirmation that Avatars will/or do appear in regular missions? :D
I'm guessing this means that Avatars are like Enemy Unknown Ethereals. Late game very tough enemies. Which would make sense, seeing that the Avatars are the Ethereals.

Oh dear god... does this mean I'm going to have to skulljack an Avatar at some point? You bastards.
Bantichai

Post by Bantichai »

I hope so, I was disappointed that the Avatar's really only showed up once during the "normal missions". Can anyone confirm that they have faced Avatars in other regular missions (hopefully full health n all)?