Steady Weapon cost

Caelward

Steady Weapon cost

Post by Caelward »

Is the steady weapon modification supposed to use up the whole turn? Why is it not a single action point ability? Seems unnecessary to use up the whole turn.

Am I missing something?
mykelsss

Re: Steady Weapon cost

Post by mykelsss »

It did in Long War 1.

It's there so you can take one reasonable to-hit shot instead of two poor to-hit shots.
Sines

Post by Sines »

Fights were longer in Long War 1, though. So using up a turn for just a +20 to hit was more worth it. In Long War 2, if you're not looking at timers, then you're looking at overwhelming numbers. In either case, I find myself only using Stocks when moving a Sniper and I don't have anything good to Holotarget. It's not a bad niche use, but it is still a niche use.
Manifest

Post by Manifest »

Caelward wrote:Is the steady weapon modification supposed to use up the whole turn? Why is it not a single action point ability? Seems unnecessary to use up the whole turn.

Am I missing something?
It is not meant to be a huge aim buff for shooting right now, it is meant to be an alternative to overwatch. Mostly you should equip it on snipers or before an ambush. Otherwise a 15 aim buff versus the scope's five would be insane.

Also it is a "single-action point ability", but it also ends your turn. I think you're confusing abilities that simply take one action point vs abilities that don't end your turn.
For example shooting is a single action point ability (except for snipers) you can move and shoot, while moving and reloading are abilities that don't end your turn. Because steady weapon is a single action point you can move and then use it.
Caelward

Post by Caelward »

Manifest, you aren't telling me anything I already don't know. It just seemed that for what it does it didn't need to end my turn. Having to give up your move to use it is not inconsequential.

If this is how Steady weapon is intended to work then I see little reason to use it anywhere but the black market.
mykelsss

Post by mykelsss »

He just told you a use for it.

Why would giving up your turn be a big deal before an ambush (assuming no timer on the mission)?

What if you expect a patrol to path into you but can't see them yet and you're in a perfect position?

What if you have just reloaded and don't need to move again?
Manifest

Post by Manifest »

Caelward wrote:Manifest, you aren't telling me anything I already don't know. It just seemed that for what it does it didn't need to end my turn. Having to give up your move to use it is not inconsequential.

If this is how Steady weapon is intended to work then I see little reason to use it anywhere but the black market.
Right, it's not inconsequential. Again, it's just a reliable replacement for overwatch that works particularly well on Snipers and is used for ambushes on everyone else. The reason I'm delineating the difference between a single-use action and a non-turn ending single use action, is to point out the obvious use for it in Death From Above. Essentially this will allow your Snipers to steady aim every turn, which basically nets them a +15-25 aim and crit. Especially the crit you should not neglect, I don't see how you can call it useless on Snipers, but it's definitely worth selling your excess stocks.
Manifest

Post by Manifest »

mykelsss wrote:He just told you a use for it.

Why would giving up your turn be a big deal before an ambush (assuming no timer on the mission)?

What if you expect a patrol to path into you but can't see them yet and you're in a perfect position?

What if you have just reloaded and don't need to move again?
Again most of these things assume you're concealed or out of sight and not already in the middle of a firefight but yes, they're all fine uses.

There are some situations where overwatch/fire is useless but steadying isn't, and it saves ammo. (Which is again very important to snipers)
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

Caelward wrote:Manifest, you aren't telling me anything I already don't know. It just seemed that for what it does it didn't need to end my turn.
It functionally ends your turn anyway for any sharpshooter- and it would definitely be overpowered for any non-sniper if it didn't.

I mean, I could have some of my troops doing a steadied shot to have 50-50 odds of taking out a target in high cover (which defeats the point of high cover pretty spectacularly) or much higher odds of taking out a target in low cover.
Caelward

Post by Caelward »

Well when it comes down to it, Flanking seems better when at all possible. I always have an easier time when I'm able to spread my soldiers out and come at the pods from a wide angle.

It seemed like stock was made to be the alternative when that wasn't a choice. If you can't get into a good flanking position, steady weapon is a bit less effective, but can still help push you into a point where you might be able to hit that enemy. But by using up the turn, it really presses hard on me when I hit those missions that don't give you enough turns, or you're fighting a retreating battle to avoid getting surrounded. These are the specific missions where feel I could most use the steady weapon ability, but feels like I can't afford to stop moving.

As far as a replacement for covering fire, I hadn't thought of that. Having a few soldiers steady weapon for the next round after does seem much more useful. Groups of low aim soldiers using cover fire seem lucky to get a graze, let alone a kill in some situations. I've had some ambushes fail spectacularly due to this. I'll have to keep that in mind as a good weapon mod for rookies, etc.

And with my sharpshooters, I've taken to putting rapid targeting on most of them. Rapid targeting may be usable only once very few rounds, but it serves much the same purpose and boosts allies hit chance as well.
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

Caelward -

If Steady did not end your turn, you can first steady and then shoot on the same turn with anyone not a Sharpshooter. The ability worked the same way in Long War 1 - 1 action but it finished your turn, to prevent abuse.

The difference here is that it gives you both 15 Aim and Crit. Chance. If you have perks that take advantage of critical hits, the Stock can be useful on some soldiers.

As pointed out, it is handy for rookies and training soldiers on the field.
GavinRuneblade

Post by GavinRuneblade »

There is another use specific to snipers: death from above. When you kill shooting doesn't end turn. So kill and you can steady every turn. Just not steady then kill in the same turn.

This also works with light em up and a few other attacks.

Or, when you cannot park your sniper but need to travel with the group for evac, move, steady in turn 1 then fire in turn 2.