Technicals can still shine in lategame

Hazelnut

Technicals can still shine in lategame

Post by Hazelnut »

Last night I had my second downed UFO and only B squad with 4 up to date weapons (plasma rifle & SMG + coil cannon & shottie) couple of warden and 1 WAR rest are in predator. This was VERY HEAVY mission. Half teh squad are using mag, we're in Feb now... so plenty of DEs. Oh, also no sting nades or sniper. Ok so we had 8 troops, half MSGT rank so that was good.

So carefully sneak round map - never spent so long before losing concealment. All I find are two turrets I steer clear of and a couple of lids messing about on the roof. So get everyone in position (4 on 2 doors + rest in cover behind) and open the door. See a sectopod + mec pod. Open with EMP nade, disables 1 mec (superheavy) the sectopod just barrels through the side of the UFO and the other mec pops on the roof. So I hack that mec, stun the trooper and take down the sectopod using everything I can shoot at it - down to last shot with 4hp but get it. Next turn everything activates, there's 3 pods in the UFO main room + couple lids fannying about.

Honestly I nearly ran away, this half geared squad was really gonna get hurt... but I thought YOLO lets go balls to the wall. Sent in the technical Vapor (commander of squad) right into the middle of all the muttons, sneks, sectoid commanders & troopers. Quickburn! Firestorm! Hahahahaha. Flamethrower for more burning. Not everything was on fire but a lot was. That UFO was like an oven. Next turn move out of the way and set a couple more on fire (1 of which had crit my 2nd assault who only had EXO on) and teh 1st assault comes in and uses streetsweeper for the first time, kills 4 damages another.

Okay, so there were 2 wounded and 1 severely wounded but that mission was so much fun! Techs are so good when they have hazmats & speed.
Tuhalu

Re: Technicals can still shine in lategame

Post by Tuhalu »

Doesn't Firestorm make you Fire Immune? Why do you need a Hazmat Suit on one to make it good?
Hazelnut

Re: Technicals can still shine in lategame

Post by Hazelnut »

Tuhalu wrote:Doesn't Firestorm make you Fire Immune? Why do you need a Hazmat Suit on one to make it good?
You don't I suppose, but all my techs wear hazmat suits as a matter of course.. so they can move though the flames they cause. I think Pavonis did that because you end up surrounded by flames, but I would rather you had to have hazmat to use it sensibly. :-)

Most of the flaming is normal thrower use anyway, since you only get 1 firestorm.. in fact this was the 3-4th time I had the perk on a mission and the first time using it. Worth it!