Can somebody explain why my crit chances against this Muton are so reduced by "dodge"?

Mandurang

Can somebody explain why my crit chances against this Muton are so reduced by "dodge"?

Post by Mandurang »

Here:

I have no idea what that "dodge" is. I know that in general the mod incorporates dodge into the crit percentage to provide a more accurate picture of what my actual crit roll will be, but I checked the Muton's stats with F1 from Grimy's hotkeys, and he had 0% dodge, so in my simple understanding, he shouldn't be getting any dodge bonuses in the crit calculation - and even less such a hefty reduction. Is it the Muton's Counterattack skill that causes this?
nmkaplan

Re: Can somebody explain why my crit chances against this Muton are so reduced by "dodge"?

Post by nmkaplan »

As far as I can tell, it's from the counterattack ability and applies to melee attacks only. If you targeted him with a gun ability, he wouldn't have any dodge.
seananigans

Re: Can somebody explain why my crit chances against this Muton are so reduced by "dodge"?

Post by seananigans »

Yes, that. Mutons have inherent high defense against melee attacks. You're lucky you had a 100% chance to hit, quite frankly...
josna238

Post by josna238 »

It is not about the topic but I would highly appreciate if you could say me what mods do you use. I noticed a yellow sight indicator (maybe a flanked indicator mod) and several colours on the abilities buttons (guess related with number of actions or cd).
Shadow86

Post by Shadow86 »

josna238 wrote:It is not about the topic but I would highly appreciate if you could say me what mods do you use. I noticed a yellow sight indicator (maybe a flanked indicator mod) and several colours on the abilities buttons (guess related with number of actions or cd).
The flank indicator is from Gotcha! and the icon over the HP bar is probably from Additional Icons.
Mandurang

Post by Mandurang »

I'm entirely unsure how the Counterattack skill works, but it's strange that it should appear in the Critical Chance box, no? Since, well, it functions differently from a flat dodge, which can turn a hit into a graze (and I've yet to see a Muton that parries an attack take graze damage).

@ josna238, I believe the mods that are responsible for those things you describe are "Cost Based Ability Colors", the flank indicator from "Gotcha Flank preview evolved" and the icons over the enemies are from "Additional Icons", modified to not show too much information.
nmkaplan

Post by nmkaplan »

My impression has been that the counterattack is coded to use the dodge stat to determine whether it procs. Something like "if dodged, then instead of grazing, take no damage and counterattack". Because of this, combined with the new dodge mechanics in LW2, it interacts with the to-hit previews in some strange ways.

Note that in this scenario "100%" to hit probably isn't 100% at all. In all other scenarios, grazes still count as hits and therefore are not subtracted from your to-hit chances. But in this specific scenario, because of the way the counterattack ability (presumably) uses the dodge to proc, you can't assume that 100% means 100%. Your odds of hitting are actually just your odds of not being dodged.

FYI, if you turn on "perfect information" mod, it adds info to the shot preview telling you your odds of being dodged, including this scenario.