zula

Post by zula »

Is it just me or what do you guys think about it?

It takes me 40 days to infiltrate a base (or 33 with intel boost) with a 10-man squad. Not to forget all the prolenghted work prior to finding the base. In contrast, Avatar sometimes advances 2-3 points a month.
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Re: Avatar progress to fast?

Post by chrisb »

Avatar progress is mostly controlled by the number of missions your winning and the amount of strength you remove from the map. Doing lots of missions and troop columns id vital.

Also I never do the HQ with 10, always 8. There's a massive infil difference and an 8 man team should have no problem with the HQ. There's only about 25 enemies on the map + 8 in the command pod which is tucked away inside a building. Typically I fight right from the spawn point and let everything come to me, then go after the command pod once the map is clear.

Also not sure why your getting 40 days? It should be 20 at most, even on legend it is only 24, I guess you mean 200%? That's really unnecessary IMO and wasting a lot of your A-team time. An 8 man team can infil the HQ in ~9 days or less with suppressors if you have empty slots to stick them in.
Veneficus

Post by Veneficus »

I play on veteran and also think it is too fast.

Especially dark events that add 1 or 2 pips to the counter every couple of weeks in areas I have no contact with.

I keep hoping somebody will make a mod to slow it down, but so far no luck. No luck on finding a mod to reduce or eliminate the dark events that add the avatar pips either.

I think the strategy layer needs major tweaking.
nick_abbott

Post by nick_abbott »

My current game is in the month of September (9/22/2035) and I still have not received the mission (s) to capture a territory. I'm pretty sure my current game of the past month or so is already over except the screen saying so. It' pretty disheartening thinking about if I will start a new game or not while my current game is still ongoing. I have a good ship and several good squads all to no avail, just waiting for the fat alien to sing. I would sure like more control over knowing what the progress of the Avatar project is.
Last edited by nick_abbott on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
nick_abbott

Post by nick_abbott »

Veneficus wrote:I play on veteran and also think it is too fast.

Especially dark events that add 1 or 2 pips to the counter every couple of weeks in areas I have no contact with.

I keep hoping somebody will make a mod to slow it down, but so far no luck. No luck on finding a mod to reduce or eliminate the dark events that add the avatar pips either.

I think the strategy layer needs major tweaking.
+1
Zyrrashijn

Post by Zyrrashijn »

I don't think the startegy layer needs much tweaking. If you are that far in time, you should ask yourself what you are doing wrong, when the lib chain can be completed on legend difficulty by the end of april. The first liberation should always be your primary concern. And with Advent busy enough, the Avatar Progress is slowed down significantly. I'm in August and the progress is slowed down by 60% and i bet there's others who manage to get even more.
Goldenmonkey

Post by Goldenmonkey »

You can increase the maximum avatar pips in the ini files. I don't know where, but it was explained in this forum somewhere.
Personally, I don't thinkit is too fast.
Focus on liberating a region, then expand. Meaning, everyone on intel or recruit until a few months in the game.
Veneficus

Post by Veneficus »

Zyrrashijn wrote:I don't think the startegy layer needs much tweaking. If you are that far in time, you should ask yourself what you are doing wrong, when the lib chain can be completed on legend difficulty by the end of april. The first liberation should always be your primary concern. And with Advent busy enough, the Avatar Progress is slowed down significantly. I'm in August and the progress is slowed down by 60% and i bet there's others who manage to get even more.
Its not the lib chain that gets me, that is fairly easy within a month or two.

The problem I have is after the first lib chain, the +1 and +2 dark events spawn much faster than I can contact new regions in.

The dual problem of needing a facility lead to find a facility with the need to connect to a region sometimes 3 jumps away, really puts a strain on both intel as well as scanning for and doing resource missions.

On each of my last "better campaigns" I know the game is lost when there are still 4-5 avatar pips to go. First because I know the facility lead is mostly random, then I need to focus on connections, and the infiltration time of days or more means that it mathematically becomes impossible before the countdown even starts.

The strategy layer seems more to me like luck of an RNG than actual planning or good/bad decisions on my part.

Edit: Even watching the Xwynn videos, it is apparent that the "strategy" layer is a lot more RNG than actual "strategy"
nick_abbott

Post by nick_abbott »

Zyrrashijn wrote:I don't think the startegy layer needs much tweaking. If you are that far in time, you should ask yourself what you are doing wrong, when the lib chain can be completed on legend difficulty by the end of april. The first liberation should always be your primary concern. And with Advent busy enough, the Avatar Progress is slowed down significantly. I'm in August and the progress is slowed down by 60% and i bet there's others who manage to get even more.
I already know what I did that doesn't help with progressing the game mechanics. I captured all 16 territories instead of concentrating on liberating one continent. ~shrug~ why that is not a valid tactic makes no sense to me but that's the way it goes. If I decide to play another campaign I now know what to do to appease the game designers.
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

Veneficus wrote:Even watching the Xwynn videos, it is apparent that the "strategy" layer is a lot more RNG than actual "strategy"
I really wouldn't base the balance of the strategy layer on that campaign. He attempted a fairly unorthodox starting strategy, and It didn't not fair out well for him. It gave him quite a slow start. Looking back at the early game, he hit his 20th mission at the very end of May. Typically you'd expect to be on #40 by then. As a rough guess I would say he is about at least a month if not two behind where he would be if he had expanded instead of liberating his one and only region.

Once you put that in perspective, he basically would have been done of the campaign at least a month ago from where he is now and likely would not have had time on the doom clock at all. And now that he's at golden path missions, those pips will vanish quickly.
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

How does one make a liberation a primary concern? I completed a mission that put a dot by the region, but that's it... i have dots by a few regions, but I can't seem find the next step. I've taken missions that don't have intel package, and all the other advice, but i still can't seem to find the next step...
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

Jackal wrote:
How does one make a liberation a primary concern? I completed a mission that put a dot by the region, but that's it... i have dots by a few regions, but I can't seem find the next step. I've taken missions that don't have intel package, and all the other advice, but i still can't seem to find the next step...
Intel. Get 13 rebels all on Intel in the region. Put a scientist as Haven advisor. Put up a Radio Tower. You probably don't need to do all these things, but doing them all makes revealing Liberation missions with decent infiltration time more of a certain thing than a maybe thing.

First stage is unlocked by doing missions with only Intel as a reward. After that, do any mission with "Liberation" in the description.
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

Tuhalu wrote: Intel. Get 13 rebels all on Intel in the region. Put a scientist as Haven advisor. Put up a Radio Tower. You probably don't need to do all these things, but doing them all makes revealing Liberation missions with decent infiltration time more of a certain thing than a maybe thing.

First stage is unlocked by doing missions with only Intel as a reward. After that, do any mission with "Liberation" in the description.

Ahhh... 13 rebels all doing intel. and using a scientist? that's my problem

I've done the mission with only intel as a reward, but ...and i'm in July, late July, and haven't seen a mission with liberation in the description
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Putting all guys on intel in a region you want to liberate should usually be enough, provided you got the number of recruits in the double digits.. I would refrain from generally using a scientist unless you're absolutely not getting the required missions. I never had a problem with getting liberation missions and never used one. And you're slowing down your main research, which might make you fall behind on your research.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

Jackal wrote:I completed a mission that put a dot by the region, but that's it.
Regions with a single dot means you've run Liberation 1 in those regions. Put rebels on Intel and send the Avenger to scan to detect further Liberation missions, which will have "Liberation" in their description.

If you don't get that, something is bugged with your game. You should submit your savegame to Pavonis to have them look for the reason why.
hewhoispale

Post by hewhoispale »

Unless you have a bug, there is always the current liberation mission spawned in every region. As soon the liberation mission expires, a new one spawns. They are harder than usual to detect, but should be spotted before they expire if there's a reasonable number of rebels on intel.
If you have multiple regions with lib1 compelted that have 8+ rebels on intel in them and have never seen lib2 at all over the course of months, you probably have a problem with your files.
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

thanks for the info, folks.. i think i wasn't dedicating enough rebels to intel....

and, oddly, i finally saw a mission with "liberation" in it today... but it was rescue and VIP

i think this may have also been my problem, i was looking for "attack the base" or something, not a VIP misision with liberation .. so, combined with only using 3 rebels as intel, i think that's my problem

this mission that i was given was heavy with 3 days to rescue VIP.. .so, no way I could achieve it, but at least i understand what i'm doing wrong...

thanks for all the input
hewhoispale

Post by hewhoispale »

Jackal wrote:thanks for the info, folks.. i think i wasn't dedicating enough rebels to intel....

and, oddly, i finally saw a mission with "liberation" in it today... but it was rescue and VIP

i think this may have also been my problem, i was looking for "attack the base" or something, not a VIP misision with liberation .. so, combined with only using 3 rebels as intel, i think that's my problem

this mission that i was given was heavy with 3 days to rescue VIP.. .so, no way I could achieve it, but at least i understand what i'm doing wrong...

thanks for all the input
Lib 1 is a hacking mission.
Lib 2 is a rescue mission with "Liberation" in the description.
Lib 3 is either a destroy relay or dark VIP mission with "Liberation" in the description.
Then there's the regional network tower, followed by the regional HQ missions, which are automatically revealed.

Yeah, 3 rebels is a good number if you are trying to avoid retaliations, but it is pretty unlikely to find most missions with that few rebels on intel unless the avenger is also scanning the region.