Can Sharpshooters use Precision Shot & Kubikuri with a pistol?

Sharur

Can Sharpshooters use Precision Shot & Kubikuri with a pistol?

Post by Sharur »

For flavor reasons, I'm trying to figure out how to build a sharpshooter that only uses pistols, never the rifle. Being able to move, flank, and then take a Precision Shot after a Lightning Hands shot could be pretty fun, but if I can't take the Precision Shot then I'd probably just want to go with Damn Good Ground (though Rapid Targeting + Hi-Def Holo could work, but wouldn't be as flavorful).

Iirc in EU/EW and LW1 you could switch which weapon was equipped, but I don't think you can do that in X2/LW2, so I'd guess that at best, you can take, e.g., a Precision Shot with a pistol if you only have one action point left? But I'm guessing that doesn't actually work either...

And if this works differently for different activated-shot abilities, I'd be interested in knowing about that, too. Who knows what might turn up in the AWC.
DaviBones

Re: Can Sharpshooters use Precision Shot & Kubikuri with a pistol?

Post by DaviBones »

No, unfortunately. In fact, if you are not using the sniper rifle, all active skills on the tree are 100% useless. Notably, the there are no MSGT perks which will do anything for the build.

I don't know exactly what your desired flavor consists of, but I find that assaults make the best pistoleers. Run & Gun is a great skill, works with all pistol skills (including amazing ones like fan fire and faceoff). Additionally, Assaults can equip an SMG for mobility, which a Sharpshooter cannot do in vanilla Long War 2. You could go:
  • Lightning Reflexes -- gives the pistoleer some utility with overwatch tanking, and is thematic
  • Close and Personal -- +30% crit for adjacent targets, good synergy with short-rangedness of pistols (not 100% that this works with pistols but I would be willing to bet it does)
  • Fortify for safety or Killer Instinct for more damages (if it works with pistols).
  • Anything is viable here, but I like Extra Conditioning for more running & more gunning
  • TSGT is the difficult one. If you are willing to use the shotgun in very specific circumstances, you could go Hit & Run (in 1.3) or Close Encounters. Otherwise, just pick something (probably not Close Encounters, to avoid the red ring around the soldier)
  • Untouchable is very thematic. BEO is a cool choice too, again, if it works with pistols.
  • Another somewhat lackluster choice, but at least here there's Chain Lightning. Combined with Faceoff, you have two skills that shoot everything you have LOS on, great synergy for a pistoleer who's in the front lines.
I wonder if anyone knows about compatibility between the passive crit skills and pistols? (namely Close and Personal, Aggression, Killer Instinct, and Bring 'em On)

EDIT: just found this thread and some people report that these skills do in fact work.
Dlareh

Post by Dlareh »

In addition Center Mass and Hunter's Instincts both work with pistols (not everyone is aware)

Lethal and AMF do not
Excitement continues to build as city centers across the globe prepare for the latest incarnation of Groundhog Day.
Sharur

Post by Sharur »

Interesting point about Assaults, that does seem stronger overall. Too bad about the loss of Center Mass, but if there's enough crit happening perhaps it's not important.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

If your theme is being a flanker, 1.2 Shinobis can also work well since Hunter's Instincs is a flat +2 damage and when flanking you usually get Lone Wolf 10aim bonus. And by going middle tree you get many defensive skills: Low Profile makes any cover good cover, Lone Wolf is +10def, Evasive makes your first hit a graze, Hard Target and Tactical Sense for being even harder to kill. Sadly MSGT doesn't do anything for Pistols but Reaper is ok on its own with a good sword.

1.3 Shinobis will also be good at it, losing some defensive skills but gaining Hit and Run, which is pretty much a free shot of your SMG on flanked and exposed targets, and you have to sacrifice Tac Defense is you want Hunter's Instincts, but now no skill is useless for your pistoleer build, since you can take Conceal at MSGT.

Oh and you get another free action with Axe throw when you decide to break concealment.