No scientist missions appearing

Bullett00th

No scientist missions appearing

Post by Bullett00th »

I have a single scientist and maybe like 6 or 7 engineers at this point, how come no scientist missions appear?
Dwarfling

Re: No scientist missions appearing

Post by Dwarfling »

RNG? With so many engineers you shoulda excavated super-quick, and with those supplies purchased scientists.
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

I'm actually experiencing the same thing. I have 5 engineers, 2 scientists and now all my VIP missions are for corporals.

Could be RNG; I don't know.
Bullett00th

Post by Bullett00th »

Dwarfling wrote:RNG? With so many engineers you shoulda excavated super-quick, and with those supplies purchased scientists.
I don't use the black market, definitely not for scientists/engies who are ridiculously expensive.

yes I've excavated almost everything but I have better things to pend resources on
Garr_Inc

Post by Garr_Inc »

Bullett00th wrote:I don't use the black market, definitely not for scientists/engies who are ridiculously expensive.
Well, sometimes it is a good thing to do (for example, when you have no engineers in the early game, but have good amount of money (they're cheap at the time). I did it and am not regretting it.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

Bullett00th wrote:
Dwarfling wrote:RNG? With so many engineers you shoulda excavated super-quick, and with those supplies purchased scientists.
I don't use the black market, definitely not for scientists/engies who are ridiculously expensive.

yes I've excavated almost everything but I have better things to pend resources on
I can't think of anything more important than Research in this game. AWC? You can live with the wounds. Proving Grounds? Certainly not. Psi? Not by a long shot. Equipment? Not without the research.
Bullett00th

Post by Bullett00th »

Garr_Inc wrote:Well, sometimes it is a good thing to do (for example, when you have no engineers in the early game, but have good amount of money (they're cheap at the time). I did it and am not regretting it.
They have been expensive for me from the get-go, over $120 each.
Dwarfling wrote: I can't think of anything more important than Research in this game. AWC? You can live with the wounds. Proving Grounds? Certainly not. Psi? Not by a long shot. Equipment? Not without the research.
Yeah no, I really can't afford not having a scientist in the AWC.

I do build and I do buy equipment. Also some dark event took a lot of my cash(
Either way I find it weird that several months in with 3 regions I had ONE scientist mission pop up
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

I am still at the beginning of April and had a total of 3 rescue missions, all of them for Engineers.

I then decided not to push my luck with the RNG and bought 2 scientists (1 in March, 1 in April). Everything is progressing smoothly now. :)

The Black Market is there to help you remedy any weird rng results, like low elerium loot, no Stocks for your snipers, or little to no scientists.
Last edited by 8wayz on Fri May 26, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halafu

Post by Halafu »

It's RNG. I have exactly the opposite situation in my fresh 1.3 campaign. Have 6-7 scientists and only 2 engineers. While the excavation is going hella slow, the research has been hella quick. I have to say I really like that situation. I've got the HQ infiltrated in an advent strength 2 region next to my starting area and just finished mag weapons. As an aside, I didn't liberate my starting area, I spiked vigilance there, so that they would pile on strength, leaving me free to liberate a neighbouring region for the now free radio tower. Worked really well. Should have an easy HQ at strength 2 and now have the first continent bonus really early (+20% supplies for selling to the black market).
Wardy2005

Post by Wardy2005 »

It's what basic research is for to counter rng.
stefan3iii

Post by stefan3iii »

I've replayed the opening of the game a few times to experiment, and I've found that there is a huge amount of RNG. Your first few missions may or may not provide scientists, engineers, haven rebels, or Smash and Grab resources. Objective hacks during those missions may also give you big supply/alloy boosts.

Early scientists I think are critical, and you should probably buy one from the blackmarket asap, unless you already have 2. Getting to better tech fast greatly increases survivability: Nano vests, laser weapons, armor, shredder gun, incendiary. For the same reason, I think early AWC is a really bad idea, because it requires scientist staff to be useful, slowing your tech progression. Better to spend the AWC money on science/equipment and just avoid wounds in the first place, and/or recruit more soldiers.