Any tips for using Kubikiri?

SpinDoctor

Any tips for using Kubikiri?

Post by SpinDoctor »

I have a Snap Shot Sniper with Kubikiri. Last mission I got caught up in a supply raid with 2 sectopods and a gate keeper. Definitely situations where the Big-K can help. But dude let me down more than once.

Even with "Get Some" hit crits were never above maybe 55%. I think he has aggression, but can't remember. Pretty sure he has Talon rounds, but a scope, not laser sight, cause his aim kinda sux.

Do you guys use this perk? How do you make it work well?
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Re: Any tips for using Kubikiri?

Post by gimrah »

I take kubikiri on my dfa sniper. I then give him every possible crit perk and item, including packing a laser sight instead of a scope. I then pair him with a holobot sharp, who compensates for lack of scope and also boosts crit chance.

That is particularly worthwhile on legend, where not only are the bosses harder to kill otherwise, but so is everything else unless you crit and you need to kill for dfa. Also pairs great with prec shot. On waterworld, my dfa sharp kubied one avatar and hit another for 43 damage with prec shot.

Snapshot sharps are great but they don't synergise that well with kubi. You really want to be steadied for one thing. Also hunters instinct is really good on them with serial and flankiness (and ideally grapple armour).
SpinDoctor

Post by SpinDoctor »

Thanks for the reply. I took the perk but up until that time I'd never really needed to use it. I wanted to try to give it a go, but it seems a little cumbersome. I could be wrong but it feels like the perk needs quite a few crutches to be useful.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

Plasma Lance (+20%) (10% on lesser sniper rifles)
Elite Stock (+25%)
Elite Laser Sight (+15%)
Talon Rounds (+10%)
Get Some (+20%)
Aggresion(+5% per enemy)

You should also probably use Depth Perception to reduce dodge, when elevated, which reduces your crit.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

SpinDoctor wrote:quite a few crutches to be useful.
It's an all-or-nothing perk with appropriate payoff. Either you dedicate yourself for that payoff (read: get 100% crit chance and 100% hit chance) or you ignore it.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
SpinDoctor

Post by SpinDoctor »

Thanks for the info guys
bingo12345

Post by bingo12345 »

Grenadier with cover destruction tree will help kubikiri sniper. grenadier's grenade hurts the enemy and blows cover(+40% crit to kubikiri)
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

bingo12345 wrote:Grenadier with cover destruction tree will help kubikiri sniper. grenadier's grenade hurts the enemy and blows cover(+40% crit to kubikiri)
Up to a point. Kubi is most worthwhile on things that don't take cover, ie gatekeepers, sectopods and superheavy MECs.
SpinDoctor

Post by SpinDoctor »

Along with the other crit raising devices, I've taken to having my Psi Operative work in tandem with my snipers. Mind Merge is good for +20 crit. Seems a bit more versatile than bringing a holobot.
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

SpinDoctor wrote:Along with the other crit raising devices, I've taken to having my Psi Operative work in tandem with my snipers. Mind Merge is good for +20 crit. Seems a bit more versatile than bringing a holobot.
Yes that is also a a good solution that I've used in other campaigns.

I would only caveat that holobot is still good. It's crit AND aim boost, which matters when you're taking a laser sight instead of a scope on your crit sniper. And on a big mission where you can't surge forward for flanks, it's also a very valuable buff for your rangers and gunners too, throughout the game.
SpinDoctor

Post by SpinDoctor »

Interestingly enough, I ended up with an Assault with Kubikiri in the AWC. Of course he got that training and turns out it was really handy in one mission as I ran into a sectopod with no real way to quickly kill it. Since shotgun assaults (is there any other kind?) crit pretty much every shot, he made short work of it, but did take some blast damage.
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

SpinDoctor wrote:Interestingly enough, I ended up with an Assault with Kubikiri in the AWC. Of course he got that training and turns out it was really handy in one mission as I ran into a sectopod with no real way to quickly kill it. Since shotgun assaults (is there any other kind?) crit pretty much every shot, he made short work of it, but did take some blast damage.
If you're using psi ops then mind merge is quite useful in those situations. Centre column rangers are also helpful for taking down sectopods with both barrels (potentially twice with command), but also need to be adjacent. Close range can also be good against gatekeepers so overcome their high defence stat, so it comes up more than you might expect.

Oh and rifle + arc thrower assaults are godly in late game.