What is technical burn chance?

Share strategy and tips here.
lumber-chick

What is technical burn chance?

Post by lumber-chick »

Hi, Just wondering.... What is the burn chance on Flamethrower? Does it differ by target type and place of the target within the cone? Had some situations where 2-3 times in a row a unit isn't burning, can't find anywhere in the docs or online. Come to think of it, it's hugely important probability in some situations :)
faket15

Re: What is technical burn chance?

Post by faket15 »

The chance to apply burning to the target is 60% and the chance to apply fire to the tile is 50%. Roust has only 20% chance for both. The chance doesn't scale with Gauntlet tier.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Assuming the tile is on fire a a target moves out of it, does he always catch on fire?
faket15

Post by faket15 »

Icarus wrote:Assuming the tile is on fire a a target moves out of it, does he always catch on fire?
Yes
lumber-chick

Post by lumber-chick »

Thank you!

So that means 2 applications of fire in a turn have 16% chance of failing (flame > command > flame). I underestimated that risk ;)

I wonder if enraged berserkers are immune to fire in terms of attacks? One just attacked my unit despite being on fire. Oh well.

Glad incendiaries are nerfed in 1.5, they made technicals laughable :)
fowlJ

Post by fowlJ »

Remember that unless an enemy stands still and takes and action instead of moving first (which is certainly a possibility, but many enemies try to be mobile) it's worth including the 50% chance of the tile catching fire in your calculation, since if they catch fire before doing anything it still disables their actions before they get to go - so only a 4% of two flamethrowers failing to burn either a unit or its tile, and only 20% for a single flamethrower.

Fire also does not disable melee attacks, which is why the Berserker could still attack. Same for other melee enemies as well.
lumber-chick

Post by lumber-chick »

So stun lancers and mutons can still melee when on fire? Wow. Thanks for that.
orion_winterfire

Post by orion_winterfire »

lumber-chick wrote:So stun lancers and mutons can still melee when on fire? Wow. Thanks for that.
Basic melee attacks are allowed, but special attacks are not. As I recall (& I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken), the stun lancer's attack falls into the latter category and can't be used while burning.