Camera Stuck Under The Avenger

This is to elevate certain bug reports so Long War 2 developers can interact with players.
Harlequin565

Camera Stuck Under The Avenger

Post by Harlequin565 »

Hi folks. Looks like I'm getting this bug with LW2.

For lots of history, there's a steam discussion here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/268500/d ... 721123152/

The relevant posts in the link I highlighted seem to relate to UI Listener classes not being closed down. Page 2 has 2 posts (one by /dev/null on 28 Mar @ 9:23pm and one by Synthorange on 29 Mar @ 9:47pm) talking about garbage collection. They they discuss clearing screen listener classes (p3, 30 Mar @ 12:51am). Later Alex F talks about how he fixed his mod (Tech Tree) on about page 4 (14 Apr @ 12:27am)

I can't play with mods like ModConfigMenu because of this issue, so I'm fairly sure this is down to LW2 as my other UI mods were fine.
Here's hoping :)

As of 18/04/2017 I've played an entire 2nd half of my C/I campaign without a single crash after removing Uniform Manager.

Edit to add:
I've trawled the Steam thread looking for mods that definitely cause issues. If you're having the problem, you could try removing the following mods (if you have them) and refreshing your configs. This issue when I had it would not go away by simply unsubbing.
- Black Market Usage
- Stop Wasting My Time (+Zip mode)
- Show Me The Skills
- Mod Config Menu
- Turn off AA in the graphics menu
- Uniform Manager (gah!)
- Lifetime Stats

Also - p4 now has an update by Pavonis which I don't entirely understand but the techies amongst you might. Skip to p4 and look for the red headed post.

Also - p5 has a potential fix by Zyxpsilon. Look for "I fixed it" and subsequent follow up info
Last edited by Harlequin565 on Tue May 09, 2017 7:27 am, edited 6 times in total.
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Re: Camera Stuck Under The Avenger

Post by mattprice516 »

What other UI mods are you using?
Harlequin565

Post by Harlequin565 »

Uniform manager, Gotcha, Random Nicknames (which did have the problem and the author fixed) & Tactical UI (the one that shows enemies active & enemies killed).

I've run with all of these historically without a problem.
I'm going to start another campaign and strip them all out - but it didn't show up until about mission 6/7. i know you need proper info to debug, but I kinda hoped it was a case of someone who knows far more than me seeing the words "garbage collection" and having a lightbulb moment.

Also - it seems I'm the only one suffering it so far which doesn't bode well. I'll strip out my UI mods, flush my configs and go from there.

I know for sure that Mod Config Manager causes the issue and the author can't fix because of the way it works, so I can never use that.
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Post by mattprice516 »

Yeah, that's a tricky one as it's been around for a while and I don't know that a specific cause has been nailed down.
jarude

Post by jarude »

I'm having the same issue. Same thing, didn't show up until mission 5 or 6.

Am running Gotcha, Tactical UI, and Show Health Values as far as UI mods go. Also using Mod Config Menu so I can use soundtrack mods.

Replaying the mission gives me a decent chance to not encounter the bug, but it's frustrating when I can't just use console to /killAliens my way through it like I could in LW.
Vendrin

Post by Vendrin »

Hello, I am having this issue as well.

It happened once at the end of my third mission but reloading to a save during the mission and completing it finished it without the error occurring.

Now after completing the 4th, it is occurring every time, no matter how many times I've reloaded.

I can upload a save right before mission completion if that would assist.

This is my current mod list:
ActiveMods=CapnbubsAccessoriesPack
ActiveMods=EvacAll
ActiveMods=FullCharacterCustomizationFromStart
ActiveMods=Country_Iceland
ActiveMods=ShepardVoicepack
ActiveMods=ZaeedMessaniVoicePack
ActiveMods=Country_Denmark
ActiveMods=OverwatchAll
ActiveMods=AfterActionDaysWounded
ActiveMods=MirandaLawsonVoicePack
ActiveMods=ProgressiveArmorOptions
ActiveMods=AnarchysChildrenExtraOptions
ActiveMods=AshleyWilliamsVoicePack
ActiveMods=Uniforms
ActiveMods=XComInternationalVoicesPack
ActiveMods=SamaraVoicePack
ActiveMods=JavikVoicePack
ActiveMods=KaidenAlenkoVoicePack
ActiveMods=ModdableSPARKRifles
ActiveMods=JacobVoicePack
ActiveMods=JamesVoicePack(Galw1n'sEdition)
ActiveMods=LW_Overhaul
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

You might try and remove After Action - Days Wounded. It hasn't been updated since 4 March 2016, and the functionality was incorporated into base XCOM 2 in one of the patches, as noted in the comments of the mod.

Failing that, you might experiment with turning off different mods and see if the problem persists. Unfortunately we can't debug with a bunch of other mods enabled, but if it's something you can reliably replicate with no other mods enabled, we'll take a look at it.
warbrand2

Post by warbrand2 »

actually this is a vanilla bug, I forget what triggers it but it is easy to get out of hit esc save game then reload the save. aka close out and get back in.
Harlequin565

Post by Harlequin565 »

Mod Config Menu definitely causes it. I've been running without that for some time without an issue.

Ironman players need to ALT+F4 out then reload the game and take their last turn again. Just hope it wasn't a dicey one :)
kidd1991

Post by kidd1991 »

[/img]This is a bug thats been in the base game it self and it sucks. I hope someone here or the LW2 team can figure it all out.
Also sadly restarting the mission doesn't really work at all
This is what we all mean, if it is the mod config option then ill start a new game with it off for the 10th time this month, i never had this problem. I used to have just the game it self crash nonstop on me
This is what we all mean, if it is the mod config option then ill start a new game with it off for the 10th time this month, i never had this problem. I used to have just the game it self crash nonstop on me
BUG.JPG (135.7 KiB) Viewed 250754 times
Last edited by kidd1991 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mesh2007

Post by Mesh2007 »

Clearing your config files worked for me.
kidd1991

Post by kidd1991 »

kidd1991 wrote:[/img]This is a bug thats been in the base game it self and it sucks. I hope someone here or the LW2 team can figure it all out.
Also sadly restarting the mission doesn't really work at allBUG.JPG
(update) Ive found a work around this bug and idk if will work for the ones who play ironman or not. But if you make two saves it should work, it mostly happens on evac missions. If it does bug out, quit unsub the mods and go back in with the same ones but start it back up with the back up save and it should work fine. I went through like five games with this and it works(knock on wood) till the game is updated again that is and i hope it still works.
ArchmageMC

Post by ArchmageMC »

It looks like the mod might be Gotchya, as thats the one I have that you all have as well. Its the one that seems to be the one that comes up in all reports. So try without that one and see if it fixes it?
ArchmageMC

Post by ArchmageMC »

OK I found the problem. Well, I know where to tell the LW team to look in order to fix it anyway.

Its a memory leak problem with some variables not being released back to memory, and the game using up all your RAM due to this.

So you guys will need to find what is causing the memory leak in your mod and fix it.
Harlequin565

Post by Harlequin565 »

ArchmageMC wrote:It looks like the mod might be Gotchya, as thats the one I have that you all have as well. Its the one that seems to be the one that comes up in all reports. So try without that one and see if it fixes it?
I've been running with Gotcha since inception and it was fine the last time I had to hunt the cause out for this issue. I'm not convinced that's responsible (yet).

I've had Aida64 running since my issue trying to spot the memory leak so that I can reliably reproduce it. Physical memory is remaining pretty constant at around 8Gb (about 4Gb of which is XCom2) but virtual memory is going through the roof (around 12Gb).

I used to be able to (reliably) get it on the first council mission, but as they're not so clearly labelled now it's hard to determine. Just realised they have different icons on the mission tracker so I can retest today and see if there's a difference. Also need to test with/without LW2 to see the differences and help Pavonis nail it down. It's too inconsistent to fix at the moment I think.
Harlequin565

Post by Harlequin565 »

Quick update for today. I've started a new game and run 8 missions so far and not hit the bug once. 3 "council" style, 3 "guerilla op" style and 2 retaliation. All in all, this makes about 12 hours play of LW2 and having it happen once. I seem to have had a good mix of starting missions.

In every instance the most resource intensive (memory) part of the game is when you click the green button on the fly home from a mission. I've seen my virtual memory spike by up to 2Gb to a max of 13Gb for a few seconds until the landing splash screen shows. Physical memory doesn't seem to be hit anywhere near as hard (maybe 500Mb but not much more).

I'm not seeing any evidence of memory leak. Will continue to test.
ArchmageMC

Post by ArchmageMC »

Harlequin565 wrote:Quick update for today. I've started a new game and run 8 missions so far and not hit the bug once. 3 "council" style, 3 "guerilla op" style and 2 retaliation. All in all, this makes about 12 hours play of LW2 and having it happen once. I seem to have had a good mix of starting missions.

In every instance the most resource intensive (memory) part of the game is when you click the green button on the fly home from a mission. I've seen my virtual memory spike by up to 2Gb to a max of 13Gb for a few seconds until the landing splash screen shows. Physical memory doesn't seem to be hit anywhere near as hard (maybe 500Mb but not much more).

I'm not seeing any evidence of memory leak. Will continue to test.
Don't use Virtual memory, Turn that off and see if you get the same problem. Spiking to 13gb is probably what is causing it for us who have it off. Pretty sure this problem doesn't happen in the vanilla game so something at that loading screen is eating up memory like crazy. Might not be a leak but an optimization change you need to make. Sounds weird that it spikes to 13GB tbh.

Though you might need Friaxis to help with this. From the sound of things it sounds like in that screen almost all game assets are being loaded into memory at once for a split second, which is a huge no-no.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

I used to think I knew how this worked but that was last year. The way I reliably made the underside of the Avenger be what welcomed me back after a mission was if I modded the game, like activating or deactivating a mod, while a mission was available on the map at all. If the Geoscape was clean of any missions to go to, it would be safe to do anything. I'm not sure if .ini editing counted.

If you mod the game while missions are available or load a game straight into a mission, it is likely you could get underbelly'd on return from the missions you are putting off, but this happens to people who don't even mod. That is my story.

Even with a lean mod list now, purely cosmetic, QoL time savers and voice packs, I randomly crash in Long War 2 with the virtual function GI path thing just starting the game or after playing a long time. I'll never understand that one and I highly doubt it's LW2 doing it. I have 16gb of RAM and a GTX Titan X (Maxwell series) GPU.
Sacred Sakura

Post by Sacred Sakura »

I get this too after playing a couple missions in a row. Usually restarting the game and loading the last save works as a temporary fix.
What I didnt see mentioned anywhere is, when the camera is stuck under the avenger and I try saving the game, it crashes with the "pure virtual funktion..." thingy. Now my knowledge of what that means is non existent, but maybe this info helps someone to kill this annoying issue.
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

Sadly I also experiencing this bug. I can confirm that the game only freezes on that screen but you can still open up the menu and quit or load a previous save.

If you try to save though it hangs up and you have to manually kill the process.

Seems like an optimisation issue, when the game completely crashed it was using anywhere from 4 to 8 GB of RAM from my 16 GB available.

Where are the crash reports stored?

P.S. Never had this issue in original XCOM 2. The only mod I am running is Stop wasting my time and have been running that through a whole vanilla campaign without encountering the issue.
CyanideParadox

Post by CyanideParadox »

Sacred Sakura wrote:I get this too after playing a couple missions in a row. Usually restarting the game and loading the last save works as a temporary fix.
What I didnt see mentioned anywhere is, when the camera is stuck under the avenger and I try saving the game, it crashes with the "pure virtual funktion..." thingy. Now my knowledge of what that means is non existent, but maybe this info helps someone to kill this annoying issue.
I've had the same experience. It seems restarting the game and reloading the save is the only way for it to get past that bug consistently. It's really annoying.
Harlequin565

Post by Harlequin565 »

8wayz wrote: Seems like an optimisation issue, when the game completely crashed it was using anywhere from 4 to 8 GB of RAM from my 16 GB available.
I've been monitoring memory use - also have 16Gb. There's a huge (2Gb) spike when you click the green "press any key to continue" which then settles after a couple of seconds. Have only just started monitoring it but I'm now 16 missions into a new campaign and not had the fault again (yet). The (interesting) thing is that the spike is in virtual memory rather than physical. Pmem runs to about 7-8Gb routinely and Vmem to 12-13Gb. Native apps on my machine use around 3.5Gb (Windows etc). I'm not sure what any of this means but until I can observe what happens when it crashes, there's no way to guess what the issue is - or whether it's hardware related.

Because I play Ironman, I can ALT+F4 out and reload the game which takes me back to the last turn of the mission which was auto-saved, so I'm luckier than those playing non-ironman.

Also, from the Steam thread - one person suggested disabling AA, and someone else suggested waiting for a few seconds after the "press any key" prompt - presumably to let the memory settle down. I disabled AA as soon as I read the thread, and I tend to wait for my memory to settle before pressing a key, so maybe that's the answer.

I hate crappy intermittent, impossible to replicate faults.
CyanideParadox

Post by CyanideParadox »

Another suggestion that a person mentioned was to allow the landing cutscene to play out as opposed to skipping it by hitting escape. Haven't tried it yet, but up until this point I have always been skipping that cutscene. Apparently, that decreases the chances of the camera stuck bug from happening on future missions, but as the poster mentioned, maybe it's just coincidental.

(update) Nope, still get the bug after the second mission completed after booting up the game. For the record, the UI mods I'm running are Gotcha, Perfect Information, and Additional Icons. I might have to try testing without those.
Harlequin565

Post by Harlequin565 »

I don't think you need Additional Icons, and I've had problems with Perfect Information.
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

Hey Harlequin !

To be perfectly honest, just after "Press any key to continue" I did always see a strange almost pitch dark screen with some dots slowly moving. It was for about a few seconds on-screen and then the proper landing cutscene loaded and starts playing. I have had this issue since the very first mission of vanilla XCOM 2.

There is definitely some issue with the base game and how it makes the transition from the mission to Geoscape, but the mod probably has also disabled or aggravated something in the optimisation.

Does disabling AA improve also the performance on Battlespace as well?