Squad is no longer usable

Igings

Squad is no longer usable

Post by Igings »

Long war version: 1.0
Platform: Windows 10
Other Mods: None

A mission was being infiltrated, and then the alert went off to say that it was about to expire. I then chose to abort the infiltration, but the soldiers did not return to my roster, and still say "infiltrating" on the squad management screen. There is only 1 mission being shown as in progress on the map view, which is being done by a different squad

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/gj3qL
Save File: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5fFo ... UY3M0NCUXM
Amineri

Re: Squad is no longer usable

Post by Amineri »

Thanks for the report, I'm looking into it. Thank you for the save.

What should happen after aborting is that the skyranger should fly out and pick up the squad, then return to the Avenger.
Krakenous

Post by Krakenous »

Also getting the exact same issue. Completed missions, aborted missions, others etc the squad remains forever "infiltrating" and unusable :\

Save: http://www.filedropper.com/save123

Please elevate this as my game is now literally unplayable!
Sarkas

Post by Sarkas »

Ran into the same problem, didn't notice it until it was too late to revert to a previous autosave. Don't mind restarting for now, wasn't too far in anyway but here's the screenshot and save file

Screenshot: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =846555640
Save file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/njf6837kf2slr ... squad?dl=0
Krakenous

Post by Krakenous »

Is that happening vanilla to you with no other mods?

AFAIK it seems to happen to me regardless...it doesn't seem like it's too hard of an issue to hopefully fix, maybe just a checksum of conditions to return the soldiers to a selectable usable state.

Will try again 100% with just LW2 but im almost certain it's a direct LW2 issue.
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

There was a similar report in this topic : http://pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB3/vi ... 17&t=23397

Player there reported that verifying their install cleared the problem, although it ended up re-downloading a bunch of other mods. Please try that, and let me know if you are still having the issue.
Pendrako

Post by Pendrako »

same thing's happened to me, 17 Troopers (and the sum total of my actually classed troops) are stuck "Infiltrating". anyone wounded would show up on the Avenger, but it's holding anyone who made it through a mission without a scratch there...... which REALLY sucks if you pulled off a Flawless.
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

Pendrako wrote:same thing's happened to me, 17 Troopers (and the sum total of my actually classed troops) are stuck "Infiltrating". anyone wounded would show up on the Avenger, but it's holding anyone who made it through a mission without a scratch there...... which REALLY sucks if you pulled off a Flawless.
Agreed that is a terrible thing to be happening, but it's not been something I've been able to reproduce (nor any of our internal testers). If anyone can provide a savefile from just before the end of a tactical mission, where soldiers/squad is missing post-mission, I can try and dig into it more.
Krakenous

Post by Krakenous »

GAH!

I found the issue :\.

It's because of the "playable aliens" mod, whenever that is installed after a while infiltration just fails to unstick and thus bye bye soldiers. Stupudily it was right at the bottom of my mods list still activated so had no idea.

That's a real shame, do you thing it would be possible to make "playable aliens" and "LW2" mods fully compatible? For the most part, the only issues i've found with them is they can sometimes show up in "rescue the vip" missions which ofc, they should not because there is nothing there and you cant complete the objectives, and this sticking bug with the soldiers infiltrating.

If there is a way to make them work together somehow that would be amazing!
Pendrako

Post by Pendrako »

I was hoping it wasn't that.. ah well.... guess Nat and Muttlee are sitting it out.

it really sucks, PA is a cool idea.. but Dreamer's been the only one custodianing it for months now, and he's at his limit. he told me the last thing he'll probably do is give Archons the ability to skin the look of Kexx's Valkyrie from the ABA 2 mod (he had DerBK "adopt" the model) and then he's pretty much done.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Thanks for following up -- that's good to know. Whether it can be made compatible is generally up to the Playable Aliens modders, although they are welcome to contact us if there's some kind of hook we can put in Long War 2 to make it work.
Krakenous

Post by Krakenous »

I've tried contacting the dev but it could be he ain't around anymore, which mega mega sucks as I absolutely ADORE the concept of it, even if personally, i'd have my own execution of it. For example, severely injured or near dead soldiers could undergo a "1-shot" procedure to turn them into basically an Xcom varient of the the mighty andromedon with it's own style, abilities and technology but ofc limited to only 1 in a squad at a time and the upkeep of such technology would need to be in force.

In short, you guys with LW2 have probably seen so many inner workings of the mod tools, I know not a lot of it would be considered lore or canon but crazy new, experimental, fun technology or gameplay options/armours/weapons like that would be incredible as I am amazed no one else has attempted to do a mod where you can use alien tech more directly, even mutation into mutons once per battle with considerable recovery time before the process can be re-attempted would be so fricking cool I have no idea why people are not attempting fun stuff like that!
Krakenous

Post by Krakenous »

Wait a min.

Just had an idea.

Is there no console command or cheat command that can "return" or "force return" all active soldiers to the barracks who are currently in missions infiltrating? If that could be made possible, then it would actually solve the only issue LW2 has with playable aliens, and i could just use that command whenever my soldiers get stuck.

If that's possible, please impliment it :).

EDIT

Seems like the author is no confident any of the original guys are even still active :\, what a damn shame...I know it's an impossible task/ask but if LW2 team was able to impliment "playable aliens" or technology etc or it's ideas rebalanced into LW2 that would be simply stunning, but I know this mod and that mod have completely different goals so, worth a shot asking anyway right? :). I hope someone can pick it up, still staggers me no other modders are doing things like that adding alien tech/functionality/armor/suits/designs to xcom stuff, the potential for it is massive.
Last edited by Krakenous on Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

I can look into it (and have been trying to think of ways to make the clean-up post-mission cleaner). Unfortunately there are a bunch of post-mission related things that have to happen, not just for the squad, but related to the activity and its rewards/consequences.

We already have one bug (which I've fixed for patch) involving post-mission squad cleanup, so doing it generically without creating other bugs is a tall order.
Krakenous

Post by Krakenous »

Made an edit above but probably irrelevant!

However yeah I get you, I thought it would just be a simple override command that you could do to make them active again, but alas if it's going to be overly too much work then I won't keep going on and on about it, if they can't work together that's a shame but i'll accept it. I can only hope someone new picks it up and maybe finds a way to do something new with the idea or expand it's concept to include into LW2 somehow, as i said you have different goals ofc but the idea of usable alien tech/andromedon suits especially/other stuff has always facinated me, if i knew how to mod i'd attempt it myself but hey, i feel i'd be way out of my depth.
Pendrako

Post by Pendrako »

good news, Dreamer's managed to find the problem. apparently one of the guys who abandoned the mod put in some kinda stupid override, which is also what was screwing up SPARKs repairing themselves. I just playtested the new build. doesn't lock people into infiltration anymore.

I do have an unrelated bug that's come up pre/post-Operation Last Gift though, which i've posted on the forums, and that's just as potentially annoying and campaign-screwing that showed up before i re-installed PA. hoping it's fixable with an INI wipe and verify, but i'm not exactly sure if that'll help at all.

also, just wondering, but would it be possible for you guys to give us the ability to delete a squad? free up the guys in it so you can reform one later? it gets kinda weird when you have the same guy in five squads and you only did that before he or she was the only one to make it through missions in good enough shape to keep going. also would make it easier to set up custom squads. You'd still have to be in a squad TO infiltrate, but I'd just like the ability to not have my Squad side-bar ending up having fifty-odd squads when I'm using less troopers than that.
Rebus

Post by Rebus »

I've had same problem now on three campaigns I've had to abandon - and have never used Playable Aliens mod, so no that is not the answer. Please keep investigating. I've only got qol mods running, and some voice packs, all on the compatible list circulating on reddit. The only exception is the Overwatch from Concealment mod on two campaigns, but pretty sure wasn't running that one on first campaign (and it is essential mod anyway, it seems to me). Re-verified cache, restarted PC, wiped config, etc, but nothing, still happens.

Always happens after the first or second mission. Wasted too much time now to try again, so will wait a while before returning to LW2.
Orow

Post by Orow »

I'm having this same issue, but I never used playable aliens mod. I have had two people randomly become playable from my infiltrating squads.
Orow

Post by Orow »

Yeah I verified my install. Had three files that needed to be downloaded. That didn't fix my current game. I'm going to start a new game now and see if it does it again.
Pendrako

Post by Pendrako »

Well, it's working fine for me now, other than that other bug i started a topic for.
Rebus

Post by Rebus »

Any luck in tracking down the cause of this? A few on Steam forums with the same problem.
StrikeQ

Post by StrikeQ »

Same issue here. Never used the playable aliens mod. Restarted 3 times, every mission I do has this problem (including the initial gatecrashers). Once Soldiers are used on a mission, they don't become available again. Always "On Mission" or "Infiltrating"

Campaign #5: Same issue. Deleting ini's in my documents, verifying files, nothing is working.
Rebus

Post by Rebus »

Bueller? Bueller?
ByDesign

Re: Squad is no longer usable (Repro)

Post by ByDesign »

The repro for this is fairly simple.

Have a mission with less time remaining then it would take for the sky ranger to deliver the squad to it.

In this way the mission times out while the squad is in transit.

I was able to reproduce the issue with a mission that had 0 Days, 0 hours left on it and accidently sent a 10 man squad to clean it up.

This squad always becomes stuck in limbo for me.
Amineri

Re: Squad is no longer usable (Repro)

Post by Amineri »

ByDesign wrote:The repro for this is fairly simple.

Have a mission with less time remaining then it would take for the sky ranger to deliver the squad to it.

In this way the mission times out while the squad is in transit.

I was able to reproduce the issue with a mission that had 0 Days, 0 hours left on it and accidently sent a 10 man squad to clean it up.

This squad always becomes stuck in limbo for me.
I've been trying to reproduce this as described (using development build), and am unable to replicate the behavior. I have an infiltration-type mission with 0d 0h displayed remaining. Some experimentation indicates it is around 10 minutes in-game.

Start to infiltrate the mission, select squad of 6 soldiers, Skyranger flies out. Upon arrival get the "Start Infiltration" and "Abort Infiltration" options. Upon clicking "Start Infiltration", immediately get the "Must Launch or Abort" popup indicating that I have to start the mission or abort it. I click accept, enter the mission. After completing mission (I used \KillAllAIs to skip through it quickly) the Skyranger returns to Avenger, and squad is available as usual.

Sooo... I need more specific details about the steps people are taking which differ from what I described above. It's possible this was fixed as a side effect of other changes in patch 1.1, so we'll be doing more testing internally as well.