since 1.3 update: crash to desktop when leaving Weapon Upgrade screen

QA_2

since 1.3 update: crash to desktop when leaving Weapon Upgrade screen

Post by QA_2 »

This started from the time that the 1.3 update came down from Steam, and has been 100% consistent since then.

Issue symptom:
from Avenger screen:
Enter Armory -> View Soldiers -> select any one -> Weapon Upgrades -> back button or Esc -> instant crash to desktop
(no, you don't have to do anything with upgrades, just look at the screen and try to leave. Attaching new ones will work and display properly until you attempt to leave the screen. This happens with any of the first three tiers of weaponry; I don't have any others to try with.)

System:
Steam on OSX 10.12.4, LW 1.3

Confounding factors:
  • This is a campaign that I started under 1.2. If someone knows debug console commands to get through the first mission quickly and give me the requisite tech to access the weapon upgrades screen, I'll test whether it happens under a fresh campaign.
  • I have quite a few other mods, although none of them pertain to weapon upgrades, and this will still happen even with a solider who uses none of the soldier looks mods' visual elements. Also nothing else has updated in the past day except for LW2.
Other mods
  • CapnBubs Accessories
  • Destroyer's Female Hair (1 & 2)
  • XXL Tattoo
  • More Nations
  • Evac All
  • Quiet Bradford
  • More Clothes (by plasman)
  • RAGE Helmet (by Claus)
  • XCOM:EU sweater/Exalt outfits
  • ADVENT MEC parts for Sparks
  • More Cities
  • Metal Over Flesh
  • Instant Avenger Menus - ostensibly the only mod that has anything to do with the part of the game where it's crashing
  • Hack Plus
  • MtM's Squad Icons pack
  • Lw2 Improved Squad Icon Selectors
  • Make PsiOps Great Again
  • a few map element packs
  • like ten different voice packs
I can upload my save file somewhere if the list of additional mods doesn't put you off checking this out. Thanks for any suggestions or assistance.
Jarrah

Re: since 1.3 update: crash to desktop when leaving Weapon Upgrade screen

Post by Jarrah »

I am having the exact same issue. The issue persists in a new campaign and after a fresh install, even when all mods other than LW1.3 have been deactivated before.

System:
Steam on OSX 10.12.5, LW 1.3

Other mods:
Evac All
Stop Wasting My Time
Overwatch All/Others
Gotcha Again
Commander's Choice
Zyrrashijn

Post by Zyrrashijn »

why don't you just ditch IAM and see if that resolves the issue? Clear your configs of course.
Whitfoot

Post by Whitfoot »

I am experiencing the exact same crash as described here, also on OSX 12.12.4 with LW2 v1.3. It appears to occur consistently every time I try to leave a weapon upgrade screen.

I am playing a brand new campaign with a clean install of the LW2 mod (unsubscribe/resubscribe and wiping config) when upgrading from 1.2 to 1.3. LW2 is my only installed mod.
JMPicard

Post by JMPicard »

Also on OSX 10.12.4, and I experience the same crashes. I do not have the Instant Avenger Menus addon -- the only one I have in common with the original poster is CapnBubs's.

I am also on a 1.2 campaign.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Hrm, Mac-only issue is going to be a challenge to troubleshoot. PLEASE pay attention to this thread because we're likely going to need some help in resolving it (as all the devs are on PC).
QA_2

Post by QA_2 »

I'll try to make it a point to revisit the thread regularly, though I'm away this weekend. If you need me to unsubscribe from the Steam version of LW2 and mess around with some temp versions for test purposes, let me know. I can also be contacted at my forums username @hotmail.com.

If a stack/thread dump is useful, I put mine at https://pastebin.com/kp5KxP83. I ran through a few iterations trying to identify what conditions caused the crash, so I have several more in case you want a bunch to compare.

From the matching reports it doesn't sound like my specific save is a critical component of reproducing the issue but I can still post that somewhere if you like.
JoelHalpern

Crash in Longwar 2 Weapon modification

Post by JoelHalpern »

Playing Long war 2 on XCOM v1.2.3 on a Macbook pro running MAC OSX 10.12.5.
I was playing on Long War 2 v1.2. A good way through the game.
Once it started crashing, I tried clearing the config, and unsubscribing and reload Long War 2.

Whenever I go into a soldier and work with his weapon mods, the game crashes.

Any idea how I can fix this?
Thank you,
Joel M. Halpern
jmh@joelhalpern.com
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: Crash in Longwar 2 Weapon modification

Post by johnnylump »

Merging with existing thread.
greenbea

CTD when backing out of soldier weapon upload screen [Mac]

Post by greenbea »

Pressing escape or the back button in the weapon loadout screen causes a CTD while preparing for a mission.

I have a 2016 iMac using Steam and Workshop version of Long War 2. I disabled all other mods and tried regenerating inis. Did not see this bug in 1.2.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

Since none of us have a mac to test with, we could use a little help tracking down this issue. The first step will be identifying which change introduced the crash. I have a suspect, but I'd like to verify it's the culprit before making a real fix. If one of you that are experiencing this crash can try replacing your LW_Overhaul.u file with the one in the link below and let me know if the game continues to crash or not I'd appreciate it.

To be clear, this isn't a fix, and may not even solve the crash if the problem is somewhere other than where I think it is. It reverts some fixes we made to the strip weapon upgrades buttons since 1.2, but I just want to identify the code in question causing the problem. Using this may make the strip weapon upgrades buttons buggy in different ways, but hopefully it will solve the crash.

Steps to install:

1) Locate your LW2 installation folder. I don't know where this is on Mac, but on Windows it is in the Steam\SteamApps\Common\XCOM 2\XComGame\Mods folder. In this folder there is a folder named "LW_Overhaul", and in that folder a folder named "Script". In the script folder there is a file called "LW_Overhaul.u"
2) Back up the LW_Overhaul.u file from this folder, copying it somewhere safe.
3) Replace the LW_Overhaul.u file in your mod folder with the copy in the link below.
4) Restart XCOM2 and reproduce the steps to cause a crash.
5) Post here to let me know if it still crashes or not!
6) Replace the original LW_Overhaul.u file with the original (or not, if you can live with strip weapon upgrades bugs until we can get you a real fix)

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kzzcbtwgzs71g ... aul.u?dl=0
JoelHalpern

Post by JoelHalpern »

I tried it. And it still crashed. For clarity, here is exactly where I made the replacement.

In ~/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/XCOM 2/VFS/Local/mods_lowercase/268500_lowered/844674609/script
I found a file called lw_overhaul.u
I renamed the downloaded file by lowering the file name case, to lw_overhaul.u, and put it in.

It is not surprising that this did not fix anything, as both diff and cmp say that the file I saved and the file I downloaded are identical. How do I check that the file I downloaded is the previous version you wanted tried?

Thank you for your support,
Joel
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

The file sizes should be different. The one on the link should be 5,824,713 bytes, while the workshop LW2 version is showing as 5,829,769 bytes.
JoelHalpern

Post by JoelHalpern »

Good news. That does fix the crash.

The length hint caused me to look more closely, and discover that the Feral Interactive files are just links.
The correct location (for anyone else who wants the temporary fix) is in
~/Library/Steam/SteamApps/workshop/content/268500/844674609/ (although i presume the numbers are different on different systems.)
in the script directory.
I was able to identify the right directory among the numbered directories because it contains LW_OverHaul.XComMod.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

Thanks for the verification! That gets me into the ballpark, hopefully I can determine what the core problem is relatively quickly. If you (or another mac user) are available to try some potential fix builds, send me a friend request on steam (tracktwo, you can also find me through the evac all mod page, for example) and I can get you some candidates. Sadly the only Mac I have access to is a 2012 mini which seems to have a hard time even booting up, nevermind running xcom2.
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

JoelHalpern wrote:~/Library/Steam/SteamApps/workshop/content/268500/844674609/ (although i presume the numbers are different on different systems.)
Just an aside: Those numbers are the same for all Steam users. 268500 is the ID for XCOM2. 844674609 is the ID for the LW2 mod. Since these are assigned uniquely, steam will always group mods from the same game into the same folder and will always install mods in unique folders regardless of what name they call themselves for us humans.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

Thanks to some help from JoelHalpern I have a fix for this issue. In the meantime before we release a full fix you can use the dropbox link and instructions also provided in this thread to basically roll the weapon upgrade UI back to 1.2 and avoid the bug crash.
mc322

Post by mc322 »

I'm on a mac and experiencing the same crash problem when upgrading in the weapons in the armory. Started happening with the 1.3 patch, reinstallation doesn't work.
mc322

Post by mc322 »

You know, a good work-around is to use 'edit' instead of upgrade in the avenger. Don't go in the avenger and use weapon upgrade but use edit at the troop lineup to upgrade the weapons, seems to work...for now anyway. I have a mac and have the same issue. This is simply a workaround to use until its fixed.
Last edited by mc322 on Thu May 18, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoelHalpern

Post by JoelHalpern »

Without the fix (upthread), I had it crash when I exited weapon upgrade whether I got there from the soldier list or from a mission.
I do recommend Mac users use the earlier version of LW_Overload.u until Pavonis can release the fix properly.

Yours,
Joel
mc322

Post by mc322 »

Ok, if you use edit in the avenger, not the shortcut screen for the weapon mods in the avenger, and then go to upgrade it should work fine. The ultimate goal is to get a fix but this is a temporary work thru. I read about others having the same problem on another forum on steam and it appears to work.
greenbea

Post by greenbea »

Thanks for all your help. I'll try the dropbox link this weekend when I'm home.
croald

Post by croald »

mc322 wrote:Ok, if you use edit in the avenger, not the shortcut screen for the weapon mods in the avenger, and then go to upgrade it should work fine. The ultimate goal is to get a fix but this is a temporary work thru. I read about others having the same problem on another forum on steam and it appears to work.
I can't get this workaround to work -- still insta-CTD whenever I try to leave the weapon upgrade screen, even if I go in from View Soldiers in the armory.

I guess I'll see how far I can get without weapon upgrades until we get 1.3.1. That seems better than playing with the 1.2 rollback above, I think.
greenbea

Post by greenbea »

Reversion to 1.2 weapons loadout worked. Thanks!
Dlareh

Post by Dlareh »

croald wrote:I can't get this workaround to work
The replacement file worked for me

Make sure you're replacing the LW_Overhaul.u file in the correct directory, and not a lowercase lw_overhaul.u that links to it. If you replace the lowercase link it won't have any effect
Excitement continues to build as city centers across the globe prepare for the latest incarnation of Groundhog Day.