Things I'd like to see in LWotC

Forum to support developing of community project to update Long War 2 to work with the War of the Chosen expansion.
evan466

Things I'd like to see in LWotC

Post by evan466 »

Started playing WotC for the first time and thought of a few things I would like to see in the Long War version. Feel free to disagree with me or whatever, I get not everyone plays the game the same, has the same skill level, or whatever. I haven't read through all the forum so maybe some of these have been brought up. Have read that the mod is probably in the later stages of production too... Anyways, here are just a few things I'd like to see in LWotC.

1. Ability to recruit more Reapers/Skirmishers/Templars.
- These faction guys are probably the best part of the game for me. In a Long War version of the game I can only assume I'll get them all killed. It'd just be nice if you could recruit more than just 4 guys total.

2. Resistance plays a bigger role.
- I enjoyed all the missions in LW2 with the resistance but they were few and far in between. While XCOM is kind of the war in the shadows, it would be cool if the resistance missions felt more like the opposite of that. Larger numbers of resistance fighters, casualties don't really matter since they're resistance fighters, and larger numbers of advent troops which kind of leads to my next thing.

3. More regular advent troopers.
-For apparently making up the bulk of their forces they really don't make too many appearances. 1 on 1 they'll get outclassed by your troopers pretty quickly but in numbers they can still make dangerous foe. It never really made sense to me that for every 1 advent officer you killed you only killed about 2-3 regular troopers. That's a lot of officers for not very many troopers. Would make sense if they showed up a lot in the resistance missions as the resistance fighters aren't going to be as good as you XCOM troopers.

4. Lost don't count toward soldier's kills.
-This is a pretty minor thing but on WotC soldier kills have kind of lost any value because the lost inflate everyone's numbers. If a guy used to have 50 kills on 10 missions that'd be pretty impressive. Now he could have 100 on 5 missions and it wouldn't mean anything because of the lost kills.
Roknar

Re: Things I'd like to see in LWotC

Post by Roknar »

I agree with 1,2 and 4, though not quite as you suggest.
The lost kills should be counted but if they could be counted separately that would be cool. That way you can still track who is the best zombie-slayer. There is going to be a need for more lost too. I found them quite manageable in general, but with larger squads they become a non factor, nevermind the aoe in LW2. Localized noise such as with a grenade / rocket should also attract lost at the point of detonation.

As for the resistance, I am fine with small missions but I would like some more variety with those. I enjoyed the missions to root out a spy but they get a bit old after the umpteenth time. And then you end up with havens full of people you can't use. Not sure how to go about this though. Maybe if the rebels from any particular region sometimes show up during certain missions, like say on missions you can get to max infiltration or I dunno. They should still stay a minor part of the mod imho. Or maybe they could be added as a faction of their own which give bonuses to finding certain missions or so without actually giving you any "hero" units. That way they add value without actually needing management.

For me, mostly, I would like to see more transparency. "Main quest" missions like the mission chains that lead up to a base assault should stand out more. For new players, even after reading the various codex entries it's still not very clear what's going on.

The WotC two-man ops would also be a nice way to gain specific intel, if only to unlock missions for the main teams to actually "pick up" that intel. So you would send out agents to spy and find key terminals or the location of dark VIPS etc so that XCOM can send in a team to retrieve the data, take out some of the rng. Mechanically, normal intel from missons could add to a bucket, while targeted missions like these would add more to the bucket and once it's full you get a mission to start the chain as usual. The trade-off being that you are going to dedicate soldiers and potentially staff that you are going to be missing for actually getting stuff done.
This, instead of missions to straight up reduce the doom counter. It would still help manage the clock but reducing the clock directly was way too strong in the main game.

I really like the idea of sending small teams on low profile missions, especially since they allow you to really specialize your soldiers sometimes. Plus they tie right in with silencers and all that. Here the LW2 stealth options could affect the chance of being discovered.
Maybe balancing chance of detection with longer mission times vs going in guns blazing .Or having missions of strategic value such as increasing vigilance in a specific/neighbouring area, or attracting lost into an area to reduce infiltration times at the cost of adding lost to missions (advent being to busy to look for you due to dealing with lost). Stuff like that.

Basically add stuff to manage the strategic layer since that's the best part of long war to me versus the vanilla game /wotc.
evan466

Post by evan466 »

Agree with what you've said, Roknar. One thing they could consider for resistance missions is having the resistance forces do the smash and grab or the convoy ambush missions, the ones where you try to clear an area of aliens while avoiding destroying the advent supplies crates. Would make sense that the resistance be kind of used as a means of funding XCOM. Just ambush missions in general would make a lot of sense. Could use resistance missions as a way of drawing Advent attention/forces to other regions if you wanted to. When the aliens try to reinforce a region, this would be an opportunity for the resistance cells to play a roll as well.

I always liked to think of my Haven Advisers as Green Berets working in enemy territory to train troops and create insurgencies. I'm sure there could be a fun, simple way to establish more control over the resistance faction and give them a bigger role in the game.
Last edited by evan466 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roknar

Post by Roknar »

I like the idea of using rebels for smash and grabs, but they would need to completely revamp those missions then. I always found those missions to be on the harder side of things. I feel like the new grab missions in WotC would work well with lost. Lost are no match for xcom, but rebels could experience that differently and there are comparatively few aliens in those missions.