[Tweek/Fix] Don't end tactical combat until weapons have struck their targets

MrTimn

[Tweek/Fix] Don't end tactical combat until weapons have struck their targets

Post by MrTimn »

Currently tactical combat ends automatically a short time after all of my ships have been destroyed. This often leaves missiles part-way to their target, negating them by default rather than giving them the chance to defeat the enemy point defenses.

This could be prevented by asking the player if they are ready to end the combat rather than just kicking them out after a short time. Lengthening the time for the auto end would also work. I'm not sure if the player can exploit this in reverse, but tweaking when the AI will agree to end a battle would prevent or mitigate this.
Alitari

Re: [Tweek/Fix] Don't end tactical combat until weapons have struck their targets

Post by Alitari »

It should be relatively straightforward for the system to recognize that there are objects 'still in motion' and run the clock until all that remains are 'controlled' units (that is, under the control of an agent, either the player or the AI).

(I've not gotten to the point where I can actually have space battles, despite several runs and several dozen hours of play ... do the ships themselves turn into clouds of debris that could potentially slam into their target? While it maybe a cheesy way of dealing with things, kinetic impactors, even if those impactors used to be ships, are deadly ... energy weapons could break them apart, but they'd still have their momentum. This could open up interesting? strategies where instead of building space combat vessels, it would incentivize building space ramming devices.)